If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60163 test runs

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by jackprentice2007, Nov 4, 2008.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Re: 60103 @ York tonight

Alternative to flash - If you want a night phot in a brightly lit station then bump the ISO up to 400 and above and lower the shutter speed to below 1/90using as low F number as possible, the loco will only be moving slow so blurring won't be a problem if you've a steady hand.

Only impossible shot out there is a night shot at high speed but stationary or low speed is doable.

I think some people get the impression flash is the done thing in all forms of life, the paperazzi blasting away of a night is a misleading example

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

http://5944.fotopic.net/p47109736.html

Taken at 1600 ISO, F3.5, 1/90th sec. No. 9 was doing about 56mph at that if I remember correctly. I've slightly brightened the photo but not much else. Grantham's quite dark compared to York.

3. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer

My Video is online from tonight, went to Church Fenton Station, and was highly surprised at the turn out, i dread to think what it would be like in the daylight, cracking site again :D.

Footage Available Here

4. jackprentice2007

jackprentice2007 Member

1/320 (pending on station light) F4 works good for moving objects at night

:-$ :-$ i never told you this 8-[ 8-[

5. 45002

45002 New Member

Hyperspace...............................

Think someone should tell the station announcer,to get a life.

MARTIN =D>

6. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Why? It's against the rules, the ATOC guide to enthusiasts clearly states flash photography is strictly prohibited. For many reasons, it blinds other drivers, not least the one on Tornado but also the one on the National Express service on the other platform in the first video posted on this thread, he has a train full of passengers and is being blinded by flashbulbs with a signal at (presumably) the end of the platform, do you think he's happy about it?

The station announcer should not get a life, they should be commended for reminding people of the rules. It's people who flout and ignore them that give enthusiasts on national rail stations a bad name.

7. 45002

45002 New Member

Enthusiasts since 1969

I never came across this in BR days in the 70's,flash photography been banned,must be the sign of the times :wink:

MARTIN :D

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired

Perhaps not in the old days of low power flash PF1's and PF5's and low powered electronic flashguns.

I would not use my big Canon flash anywhere near the railway, get a flash from that and you would be blinking like an owl for the next ten minutes.

Dave

9. 45002

45002 New Member

Maybe its just me grumpy old fart :lol:,but the railways today seam to have it in for Enthusiasts,and would ban us all if they had there way,the station announcer just was wasting here time.

Anyway good videos been posted 60103,look forward to seeing her on the Premier Steam Line :wink: maybe ?

MARTIN :smt026

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer

Well people, have it on first hand authority throughout various stages of the evening that the run was going to plan. First update reported that their was a problem with one of the coach hoses and thats why the small delay leaving York. Next update around 21:30 informed me that 60163 was early at Meadowhall so they were being looped. Final report at 22:50 explained that a few doubters on Sheffield Station were informing the crew that taking 500 tons up to 1 in 70 from a standing start to Darnall couldnt be achieved but was completed without any problems. Sounds as though it was a belter!!!! =D>

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

So what was the exact route please? Did the train reverse at Sheffield? The direct route to Chesterfield via Dore and Dronfield is currently closed due to work in Bradway tunnel.I was surprised to see Chesterfield as the destination as there is no triangle there.

12. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed

Bloody hell - me and Steppers agree on something.

In all seriousness - working on a mainline station when charters are due can be a right pain in the backside. Trying to carry out your duties with a large number of enthusiasts making it more difficult and they can be a little on the anti-social side. Members of staff who themselves are enthusaists will cringe at some of the sights, while those who have little "heritage" interest will show their annoyance.

Why is it - that people in this country now feel unable to follow a simple request.

13. blackfive

blackfive Member

And the silly thing is that the flash on most of these compacts is so low power that it isn't effective beyond about 6 feet anyway.
    The best thing to appear in the last few years is image stabilisation which I was quite sceptical about about but see the pictures at the top of page 42 of the other Tornado thread.
    The first one was iso 800 at 1/13th but the second was iso 200 at 1/3rd sec. Both hand held.
    Saw an heard it passing Dringhouses last night and was most impressed!

14. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired

Quite simple really, a total lack of respect, and the **** you I'll do what I like attitude that is rife in this country.

15. 60124Kenilworth

60124Kenilworth New Member

Saw 60163 passing Sherburn and later accelerating away from Milford,looked and sounded fantastic,certainly brought back some memories!

16. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer

Flash Photography isn't only a nuisance on railway stations-this happens everywhere.A classic case was the Olympics.

(a) people have no idea how to turn the flash OFF,which you can do,no doubt not read the instruction book,(b)'How do I take a photograph then in the dark' syndrome.
    If you are using a digital camera,you can more or less photograph a black cat in a coalhole.

These people snapping away have really no idea about photography at all.Really don't care about others,and would 'kill' just to get a picture at all costs.Even if it's 'blurred'.Most of the pictures they do are fit for the trash bin in anycase.Even with flash,which on a railway station is useless.

Unless you use a mountain of FLASHBULBS around the station,because these have a slow burn rate,not Electronic flash fitted to cameras,they are not the same.Flash at night is really pointless with flash on the camera.Just disappears into the night.

But as flash is out of bounds,just forget the whole thing and wait until it's daylight.TORNADO isn't going away,try another day and leave everyone in peace before Network Rail bans photographers from stations all together.

They hold the power...

17. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

C'mon guys. How many of you have had your picture taken at night or indoors and been 'blinded' by the flash; rendered useless and unable to see where you're going? I don't see celebrities keel over after being subjected to a bank of paparazzi flashes. Sure it's a bright light for a brief fraction of a second, but we can cope. Short of having the flash set off a few inches from our face, the blinding effect is pretty small, particularly in a station setting where the ambient light is already fairly high. Even after a 'blinding' event it is still pretty easy to see brightly lit objects such as signals. When driving we have to deal with bright lights from other cars pointing towards us at regular intervals. We do not suddenly swerve off the road. It does compromise our night vision, but it isn't the end of the world. There will, of course, be some road accidents attributed to a loss of vision, but the risk is small compared to the numbers driving at night. Similarly, can anyone quote a railway accident or SPAD that was put down to a flash gun firing? I doubt it.

I am not saying we should all go and pop our flashes at every passing train, but it is pretty obvious if a steam train runs through a station at night flashes will go off, so it shouldn't be a big surprise to the crew. It isn't perfect, but nor is it that big a deal.

While I agree that the majority of flashes fired from SLRs and digicams produce little useful effect, there are fantastic photographs to be had using flash to take moving trains at night. If you want to see great examples, just look at the photographs of O Winston Link (mainly using flash bulbs), or more recent pictures by the likes of Gary Knapp (who uses banks of synchronised electronic flashes).

18. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

So what about, in a worse case scenario, someone falling off a platform while running to photograph Tornado, would you spot him? I'll admit, maybe at York, it isn't quite as serious as elsewhere, but rules are rules, and if enthusiasts don't abide by them it just gives NR and the TOCs more ammunition to try and get rid completely. What about someone using flash a station as a Voyager doing 125 mph passes through? The blindness might only last a few seconds but how far will the train have travelled in that time? The rules are written to cover all stations and likelihoods, not just somewhere like York with everything going at walking place in a well-lit environment.

19. 45002

45002 New Member

So how can you enforce no flashing then,at a station in the middle of nowhere or from the lineside in the middle of nowhere.

MARTIN :wink:

20. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired

Don't try to justify a potentially dangerous activity by saying celebrity's have it done all the time.

Modern electronic flashguns are amazing, for a portrait they emit a very brief flash but using it on a station the electronics will really jack up the power and cause a blinding flash.
    Not good for night vision.

Cause an accident involving injury and guess who's door the law will be knocking.

I would agree that there are many stupid rules created by jobsworths but this is not one of them.

I know first hand that flashguns can cause unexpected accidents.

In the 60's I was in Pontypool Road shed and took a picture with a flashgun wherupon there was a crash.

I had surprised the guy taking the shed foreman his tea and he had dropped it, everyone involved was highly amused including the foreman but it could have had more serious consequences.

You have been asked not to so, just don't do it.

Dave