If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    And it isn't heaven either according to this :):)

2. meltonnorth

meltonnorth New Member

I'm amazed that an error on our website (now corrected) can generate four pages of unsubstantiated hot air! A quiet month, obviously, and NatPress at its inglorious best.

As far as I'm aware, 5972 remains - as it always has done - in the sole ownership of David Smith and I'm happy for the assumption from that error to be corrected. However, it never ceases to fascinate me that railway preservation attracts such petulant views, such as those of Master Martin. The locomotive was sold by BR for scrap but happened to be bought by and individual (not a museum, society or charity), who funded its restoration. It is therefore his - and no one else's - right to do with it as he pleases.

I'm sure that the small group of individuals, who worked on the loco, are more than happy to be involved with the other locomotives now in David Smith's stable.

You would all do well to think about that before posting hot-headed and inflammatory comments. If you really want to get involved with a 'Hall', try supporting the one that is gradually oxidising at Appleby!

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nigel , Appreciate the clarification , however and no offence intended but that was one heck of an error to include on the website.

you may also want to note that facebook is also awash with news provoked by the RTC post

Drysdale and Bean-counter like this.
  4. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Speaking of hot air, seems like someone has had the hairdryer treatment from WCR. To describe the now utterly retracted [without apology] basis of the original advert for the Wizards Express as simply an"error" seems rather disingenuous. Either the "premise" for the tour was invented to attract bookings or it remains true but is now embargoed. Either way, criticising other people on this forum for errors of judgement is poor form and lacking humility.
    The side issue of what WCR do with their assets is just that - of course they can and should do as they see fit.

lil Bear, Drysdale and andalfi1 like this.
  5. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Rumour has it that the owners of 4936 are very happy for it to stay at the SVR - as that way it gets some work, which it does not on the mainline.

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I might be ruffling a few feathers by saying this, but it's not the first time errors on RTC's website has caused confusion and issues, bit unfair to slag people for believing what's wrote on a tour promoters page to be accurate afterall.

Certainly singling out Martin when he was just reacting to what someone else wrote (wrongly) seems out of order.

Drysdale and YorkyLad like this.
  7. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

{!I'm amazed that an error on our website (now corrected) can generate four pages of unsubstantiated hot air! A quiet month, obviously, and NatPress at its inglorious best.

As far as I'm aware, 5972 remains - as it always has done - in the sole ownership of David Smith and I'm happy for the assumption from that error to be corrected. However, it never ceases to fascinate me that railway preservation attracts such petulant views, such as those of Master Martin. The locomotive was sold by BR for scrap but happened to be bought by and individual (not a museum, society or charity), who funded its restoration. It is therefore his - and no one else's - right to do with it as he pleases.

I'm sure that the small group of individuals, who worked on the loco, are more than happy to be involved with the other locomotives now in David Smith's stable.

You would all do well to think about that before posting hot-headed and inflammatory comments. If you really want to get involved with a 'Hall', try supporting the one that is gradually oxidising at Appleby! }

My original e-mail :-

Someone just reported on one of the Yahoo groups that Olton Hall has been sold to Warner brothers and is going to America
    Fact or Fiction?

Neil

I am sorry to have caused so much confusion all I was doing was asking if a e-mail I had seen on a Yahoo group was true or false

Neil

8. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    So.... to confirm? It isnt getting sold...?

9. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

we await confirmation with bated breath:confused:
    though from Carnforth that could be never;)

10. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The other way to look at it is that there is now no public statement to the effect that she is coming out of service.
    As for confirmation of sold or not, they could say no today and have some billionaire come up with an offer they can't resist tomorrow, so you can understand people not wanting to hold hostages to fortune: especially with this forum...

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I don't think we can quite go that far. My inference from the rumours, RTC's faux pas, Melton North's contribution to this thread, and so on, is that there will be an anouncement about 5972's next role quite soon, and that it's likely to involve one of the Warner Bros tourist attractions, but the folks involved aren't quite ready to say anything yet, so the "news", whatever it is, is embargoed for now.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And the vast majority worked that out the moment Nigel openly made a statement on here.....when he could have just kept quiet and tweaked the RTC site.

13. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

A friend of mine just asked an interesting question: "Is Mr Smith really going to put 5972 back on the mainline just for one trip?" It is a little while since her last mainline movements, so she will at least need a 6-month exam and certificate, possibly a little more than that.

Now, this is complete speculation on my part, but... might WCRC, or someone else, be planning a few other trips with her in the spring, and RTC have got their publicity for their farewell tour out quickly, while it looks like a unique event, rather than just the last in a series? Being a sneaky sort of fellow myself, that's what I'd do if I could ;)

14. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    So No. 5972 on the Jacobite's....

Only other wild speculation I can make is she'll be the sole engine on all days of the CathEx... ;)

15. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Hot air or not, your website issued it, people reacted, what do you expect. an apology for the "error"WOULD have been the decent thing to do instead of having a rant.
    And I would bet a shilling that Mr Smith has "had a word"

lil Bear, 26D_M and Drysdale like this.
  16. phil.sez

phil.sez Member

Its not that long since it went on the mainline, 20.9.13 seen about to leave Carnforth - http://philmetcalfe.zenfolio.com/p48649454/h7df875a1#h7df875a1

17. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

We will find out in due course what is happening. But, why would Warner Bros need to own 5972 if they weren't going to steam it, they already have several replicas? If they are going to steam it, then perhaps we might see the Hogwarts express operating in the UK? That might offer some serious competition to a number of current mainline and heritage operations if they did. Equally several people I spoke to in Orlando over the New Year period were pretty adamant that WB were introducing a service there with "real" steam engines.....didn't quite look that way to me at the time, but who knows?

18. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Could prove a Gerald Ratner style moment from MeltonNorth. Astonishing. Making a mistake is one thing but compounding it by blaming others for speculating on the basis of the published misinformation is quite bizarre.

Drysdale likes this.
  19. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Different people handle their embarrassment in different ways. Compared with the occasional bloopers and swipes made by some other Nat Pres contributors, this Olton Hall matter is really not much of an issue given the quick correction that in historical RTC website terms was pretty speedy. Just remember, everyone, that Melton North now takes the time to occasionally post on Nat Pres when I can think of similar people heading up other organisations who don't. I know which I would prefer.

20. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I doubt it, in the unlikely event WB did go down that route, it's appealing to the Potter fan market, different area to the standard railtour market with daytrippers and enthusiasts looking to ride behind a train from years gone by.