If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    She's been out of railway preservation as soon as she was passed in to WCRC's hands. WCRC is a Freight Operating Company, and their purchase and restoration for steam engines isn't made on a preservation case, but on a business case. The steam railtour market is a huge one, and so for them to own locomotives which they could use along with being the actual providers of crew and rolling stock is purely a business case. If WCRC were preservationist's, you'd see Carnforth opened up to volunteers and most likely be treated very similar to any other heritage railway. You'd see applications to HRA for grants to help aid in the restoration of vehicles for preservation. I'm not trying to offend WCRC when I say this, indeed I bet some up in the company would agree with me, they are a FOC business first.
    Yes, ideally any sale of No. 5972 would have been lovely to a heritage railway. But the money may not have been available for any heritage railway to match the rate WB's may have been offering ( which allows the expansion of business for WCRC )

It's in the same case that DRS, Colas or whoever purchase Class 37's and such from preservation schemes, and put them back on the mainline for running of their own business.

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    At least it's remaining in one piece, and not being dismantled for parts for another Frankenstein engine.

williamfj2, pmh_74, campainr and 2 others like this.
  3. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Does make me wonder why they did not attempt to buy up one of the other halls that are sat about unrestored and have a cosmetic job done on it, probably cheaper- that way another loco would have ended up safe, undercover, and Olton Hall could potentially have gone on to further use. If indeed this is all confirmed- is it known that has been sold and is not simply going on display until such a time as WCRC are ready to overhaul it?

Assuming it has been sold hopefully it will be 'mothballed' properly and when Warners get bored, it will be able to come back into preservation and would require a relatively straightforward overhaul- after all if it spends 15 years out of traffic thats 15 years less wear and tear!

Chris

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer

Indeed. The future of 5972 looks rather more secure than one or two other GWR engines. In any case, I'd predict that with ten or twenty years, interest in Harry Potter will have faded sufficiently that Warner Bros will wish to redevelop the park and the loco will be back on the market**. Maybe someone will have a plan to back-convert it to a Court...

** assuming that is that WCRC have actually sold it, rather than putting it on long-term loan and charging an annual hire fee, which is also possible.

Tom

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I wouldn't be surprised when Harry Potter town goes the way of Luton, that WB look to sell it again, probably on the condition it's never painted red with the name Hogwarts Castle… who knows they may even try to protect the number 5972 too !

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Absolutely how much work did 4953 do.. until it went to Epping.. not much anywhere.

4936 is a bit of a "C list celebrity" when it comes to mainline work, pity really a Hall from London would be nice.. just limited by what it can pull and how fast.

7. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

It would be interesting to know whether 5972 outings were limited by its film guise or whether it wasn't deemed suited to some of the regular wcr turns like the Fellsman that a black 5 has routinely worked.

8. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Wasn't this more to do with the owners decision not to run her as much?

9. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

That's what I heard.

10. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    What are you saying? I hope you are not besmirching the name of my home????? :)

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

I think Marsh Farm and Lewsey Farm estates do a good enough job of that sadly enough.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Not really, 90% of WCRC's work is charter with the occasional spot hire work that occasionally includes freight, opposite business model to DBS, so can't really throw them in with DRS, GBRF who despite occasionally playing trains, are primarily freight companies.

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

and, of course, where it can go.

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

plus the extensive film opportunities such as the WCR/SRPS involvement with the Colin Firth Railway Man movie.

15. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    As far as I remember, WCRC is registered as a FOC. And as a business, are very similar to DRS.
    Tesco want a freight flow from Mossend to Inverness, they approach DRS who in turn work with Network Rail to construct timings within the customers needs. DRS as the FOC provide the crew and rolling stock, and run the train. Sound familiar?

RYTC want a set of charters running over the WCML and S&C in winter, the approach WCRC who in turn work with NR to construct timings and a path suitable to the customers needs. WCRC as the FOC then provide the crew and rolling stock ( be it they may hire in from outside their company, based on what RYTC has asked for ). WCRC operate the train.

Both the businesses above use aged, almost heritage in some cases, locomotives. But they don't do it for preservation, but because it's the stock that's available to them to suit their business needs. They both have the aim of operating for profit, and so if selling ( or renting ) No. 5972 off their books is a sensible business decision which allows the expansion of work or assets, they are completely in their right to do so.

Edit : Okay, the FOC part is more confusing than I had believed. WCRC have four registries with the ORR. As a FOC/Charter/Jacobite & Limited services : http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.221

16. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Amusing how traditional the company names are, with some resurrected from the 19thC and some others that never existed but could have done (London and South Eastern Railway!)

17. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Logic would have put 5972 on the Scarborough's , nice route and a big tourist market that would have mopped up the potter connection . I think though she is out of gauge for the routes now

18. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I see where your coming from, but without a regular freight flow, I think calling WCRC a FOC is a bit misleading, even if that's what it says on the paper, DRS probably find it more economic to use 20's and 37's on short flask trains and hold the 66's back for the heavy freightliner stuff where they are actually needed.

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Don't know about besmirching, but Luton certainly isn't Cambridge or Oxford.

20. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

They did plan on doing this, in 2011?, but she was out of gauge.