If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

What like City of Birmingham?

2. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I was going to reply along much the same lines. I'd add that this should guarantee safe accommodation for 5972, with some form of income towards future overhaul. The other issue with going straight into overhaul will have been a question of capacity - there's a limit to the number of overhauls that West Coast can manage and there'll no doubt be a pecking order and long-term plan for the fleet that 5972 might not fit into for a while.

Simon

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I assume the subtext of your phrase is that you think 5972 will now never emerge to run again? But Warner Bros isn't a museum like that in Birmingham, who necessarily take a long-term view of the stewardship of the items under their care.

Rather, I see Warner Bros as just another commercial owner of the loco - albeit a bit of an unconventional one by the standards we are used to. But like any commercial owner, they will use the loco as they see fit commercially, and when it no longer meets their commercial requirements, no doubt they will try to dispose of that. I suppose theoretically that disposal could mean scrapping, but it is far more likely to mean a future sale complete, since a complete loco is worth more than the scrap metal price.

In that respect, it is not so different from the current situation of the majority of the UK steam fleet, which is not running, in many instances has not run for many years, and which in most cases you have to pay some kind of entrance fee to see - if you can see them at all. OK, the fee to see 5972 may be rather higher than the average preserved railway, and for a steam buff, the rest of the attraction is no doubt rather limited once you've seen the engine, but fundamentally this is simply another sale of a pivately owned locomotive, whose future has been assured for the next few years. When Warner Bros feel that Harry Potter is no longer making sufficient revenue for them, they will redevelop the site and no doubt have some kind of sale of the various props, at which point 5972 will become available again. That hardly seems a worse fate than dozens of other locos up and down the country that haven't run for years. Indeed, it is a rather better fate than faces, say, 34073 - or indeed scores of locos currently sitting outside, not running and inaccessible at preserved railways up and down the country.

I think people complaining are just getting sniffy that Warner Bros doesn't feel like "one of us". But I don't feel the risk to the loco is significantly greater than the risk to many locos that are owned by "us". All the time the loco isn't scrapped, there is a possibility it will run again - just take a long view!

Tom

goldfish likes this.
  4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

might be better if it was not under cover, it would be available to Preservation that bit quicker once it got scruffy

5. Jamessquared

Sorry, in what sense is CoB "not available for preservation"? What you mean is "not available for me to froth over YouTube videos of while it races up and down the mainline" - which is entirely different.

Being under cover and in public ownership, CoB is securely preserved to a far greater extent than hundreds of other locomotives in the country. Or do you consider the best preservation outcome for a locomotive is to stick it outside until it rusts to a significant degree, and then flog it off to a private owner to do with as they see fit?

Tom

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

If it wasn't for private owners/owner groups, the heritage railway scene in this country would be very poor indeed. CoB as it is preserved currently does nothing for me - I like things to work - but I accept that it's safe for future generations.

7. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Its a new definition of preservation that I was previously unaware of that wants a locomotive to rust and rot rather than be looked after. "Preservation" is not short of rusting neglected wrecks rotting away in headshunts, not even Halls, and it seems peculiarly perverse to want further locomotives in that condition.

michaelh and Jamessquared like this.
  8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just so. This business over 5972 really is a "no brainer". And who is to say that this "final" destination for the locomotive isn't actually part of the original contract between WCR and WB and the wider Potter franchise arrangements? It is just good to see a practical solution for a steam locomotive rather than the many alternatives that are sadly sitting around the country in various stages of part restoration or decay.

9. Reading General

10. Jamessquared

I'm not against private ownership, and many private owners do an excellent job of preserving their locos for future generations to enjoy - one thinks of Jeremy Hosking, but there are others deserving such credit. But to listen to Reading General, he seems to think that a locomotive sitting rotting in a siding somewhere witha vague promise that someday it may go mainline is somehow "preserved", while the same loco in dry, secure, undercover storage somehow isn't...

Tom

Bramblewick and michaelh like this.
  11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Have to agree on that point, while I accept it's totally impractical to steam everything, working steam in my opinion is a far more powerful tool to draw people into railway preservation than a cold lump of metal as a static exhibit, as well presented as they are, you can't appreciate the power, noise, smell, sight etc, seems rather like seeing a stuffed Lion in a museum when you can go to Africa and see one in the wild.

Not a dig at Museums's/static exhibits, just an honest opinion based on my feelings.

12. Reading General

again ....5972.....

13. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    How many railtour/mainline trips did No. 5972 make last year? You could most likely count on one hand, and I don't recall most of the forum being up in arms about that during 2013....

I don't think any of us can guess even close to what has happenned in this deal, but if it has been part of a sale, then WCRC are sure to have benefitted handsomely and money which could be poured in to other locomotives and rolling stock that will most likely spend more than 3 days a year on the Network's metals. If No. 5972 goes to London to sit in the Harry Potter studios, then she is simply carrying out the same duties she performed sitting in the National Railway Museum, except that she'll be seen by a much larger audience.

Jamessquared likes this.
  14. Jamessquared

Sorry - you're losing me. What's your point?

Tom

michaelh likes this.
  15. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    There's also the thought that in the theme park tens or hundreds of thousands of people who would never go near a preserved railway or railway museum will come in contact with a real locomotive with real solid metal, not just an ersatz Hollywood imitation. It only needs the tiniest percentage of them to gain some sort of curiosity about these huge machines, and far more has been done for the future of preservation than any number of mainline excursions.

16. david1984

I agree on that point, with filming now done and dusted "Potter Mania" will be on a slow decline now as the kids into it grow up and following generations take less of an interest in something they didn't see when new.

In that respect I find it odd to be setting up such a place now, surely the best time would have been after the first film with the hype of a further 5 odd to keep visitor numbers high ?.

If your after working Halls, I believe 6990 and 6989 are in line for a return this year.

17. david1984

Think that's a bit unfair, there isn't a great clamour to use it in Hogwarts Red from those outside Harry Potter fans, imagine how much stick RTC would get from some if they rostered it to a WCME instead of 46115.

18. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Class 5 engine , limited route availabilty dues to speed and gauging and plenty of other examples . Cannot appear in the guise it would attract most fans and and of limited interest as it is . In its current state there is only one real outcome

Lets be honest few people got worked up when 7927 was dismembered for 6880/County and there isn't a flood of support for the unrestored examples 4979/5967

I would suggest a very good bit of business may have / or be taking place that will bring more useful main line engines back into traffic

Bramblewick likes this.
  19. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Okay, shall I extend this to all Hall's? How many Hall's hauled tours ran in 2013? Would there be a market for another green Hall on the mainline for the next 7 years, with the revenue for WCRC exceeding what the possible sale price it has gained ( and that's after you include her boiler certificate is up in due course, and the repainting in to green? ).

20. david1984

How many Halls were available though ?, 4965 ran a number of tours for VT, but rarely if ever is hired out to another promoter, that leaves 4936which apart from gala and preserved line visits, doesn't seem to stray far from Tyseley, so maybe some owners considerations coming into play there ?.

Having excluded 5972 on grounds of it's current appearance, it's somewhat easier said than done to pick up a Hall for general charter work than you'd think.

Not saying WCRC are wrong outright, but Mainline Hall availability isn't as free as you'd think.