If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

5952 Cogan Hall

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by paullad1984, Jan 12, 2010.

1. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

£50,000 seems a reasonable price for an 0-6-0st with 5 years on its ticket, shame i cant afford it!

2. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You could probably have knocked two zeros of that price when it was first preserved- its keeping them running thats the expensive bit!

£50,000 seems a very reasonable price for a loco of Isabels size, but condition will play a deciding factor in her value. Such is the "game" that has to be played with buying steam locos- abit like second hand classic cars but more expensive to put right when they go wrong! Good luck to whoever buys her- a lovely looking machine and one perhaps that would be nice to loan and run at Manchester Museum of Science and Industry- another Mancunian loco that could come "home" for a period...!

3. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Cogan Hall has been bought by the Betton Grange society and so have the spares listed in the article. She will be moving to the Llangollen railway.
    Cogan Hall will not be stripped and scrapped and any idea that such a action will take place is to say the least a complete load of bull. The society has every intention of restoring her once Betton Grange is complete and i look forward to working on her and am glad that she has found a home.

4. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    Nice Move --

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Please wait for the full Press Release where all will be revealed. There are still a few i's to dot and t's to cross which will take a bit more time but rest assured 5952 does have a positive future.

6. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Nice one, Betton Grange is that bit closer and she'll be restored in her own right in the future.

7. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Chemical Engineering Manager
    Has 6880 just found some extension frames?!

8. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    As a shareholder in 6880 I would like to say that unless 5952 has been bought to supply spares i.e. extension frames ,front bogie, tender etc. it is a pointless exercise.
    This press release should be published on 1st April.

Bob.

9. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    A letter has been sent to all 6880 members explaining the reasoning behind 5952's purchase and all of the spare parts from Ken Ryder. I am led to believe that the number of spares is quite vast and will help move the construction of 6880 forward.

10. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you, as a shareholder in 6880 (aswell as the many other shareholders), have been asked about the purchase of 5952?!

11. Thompson1706

Retired
    Yes Ian ,you would think that some consultation would have taken place ,but obviously my meagre £10 per month doesn't count. As i said previously unless it has been bought for spares it is pretty pointless.The accumulated funds would have been better spent on progressing the frames ready for wheeling. Without knowing the full facts however I won't comment any further.

Bob.

12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

My initial thoughts (also as a shareholder/contributor) are that it is a good move; it will provide spares, motion, a tender, a choice of boilers and a further project once the Grange is completed.

13. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    It seems that the powers to be have forgotten that the providers, ie shareholders, should be consulted on any major decisions with regard to spending their contributions.

14. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    Ok so its out the bag so to speak

We actually looked at the idea of buying Cogan early 2009 and I am sure it has crossed our minds many times before.....why? you may ask

So far building 6800 has been a game of financial swings and roundabouts where one item is donated saving a fortune in time and money the other costs a fortune in time and money. sadly there are not quite enough spare parts lying around to balance this equation out.

A while ago I costed out what buying Cogan Hall would save 6880 in time and money the bogie alone is worth what has been paid never mind all the other parts contained within the deal

The boiler on Cogan is a known good one and yes it is the same AK boiler with three row superheater as we already have, donated by Willington Hall

Not forgetting the tender of course

In one deal we have speeded up 6880 by at least five years and we are that much closer to seeing a Grange Run after all that is the aim .......isn't it ?

Returning to Cogan

I can assure that Cogan will NOT be scrapped, destoyed beyond repair etc the frames Cylinders wheels boiler will remain and i am in no doubt there will be other parts that will be made available

In the fullness of time we see no reason why Cogan will not be restored in her own right the only downside she has is she is a Hall and not unique at this moment in time 6880 attracts the money and interest

Funding the restoration of Cogan Hall will be another matter with the possibility of her own fund and maybe a percentage of 6880s and potentailly another steam locomtives steaming fees may be an option.

To summarise 6880 has taken a HUGE leap forward and we are that much closer to seeing 6880 running, Cogan Hall is under the umbrella of a charitable trust and her future may look a little bleak to begin with but I assure you long term she is in good hands

15. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Press Release will be issued some point tomorrow hopefully, but basically what Will has put sums up the intentions for 5952. The paperwork was only completed late yesterday and it was planned to inform all of 6880's members first, before issuing a Press Release sometime next week. With this no longer being possible we are having to write one with a bit more haste than had been planned. We want to make it clear though 5952 is not being scrapped. She will donate some parts to 6880 to enable the sight of an operational Grange in a shorter time frame than we would have been able to meet without these parts. But these parts will be replaced once 6880 is operational and we will look to have two operational locomotives earning money for the 6880 Society in the long term. As Will said, her immediate future may seem a little bleak but she is in good hands.

16. Thompson1706

Retired
    That's the answer I wanted to hear. Are we plundering the extension frames or making new ones ?

Bob.

17. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Making new, as modifications would be required to make them suitable for a Grange. Hopefully these will arrive early summer.

18. lil Bear

Railway Technician
  19. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I'm not a contributer to the 6880 Group but I'm an admirer and I believe that they have done the right thing. Even if you discount the time factor (and time is money), the acquisition of additional spares together with the use of Cogan Hall's bogie for the new Grange makes the deal one that I'd just have to seal if I was in the 6880 management's shoes. Maybe this is another example of Swindon loco standardisation helping us in the 21st Century. Clearly Cogan Hall itself will be restored in time and yes, a new front bogie will have to be made (the bullet still has to be bitten) but, by then, the new Grange will be earning its keep. I think the sight of a new Grange has just leapt towards us by about 5 years (which completely messes up my earlier assertion on another thread that its Patriot neighbour would beat it into service!)

20. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Whilst I agree that shareholders should have been consulted before purchasing, would any of you have voted against 5952's purchase?