If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

5521 returns to the UK

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by ADB968008, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

5521 is standing in the centre road of Gniezio station, departed Poznan on time at 0830. Next stop Inowroclaw. consists of 1 coach,1EU07 and seven passengers inc myself and the owner. Photos to follow...some fast running for a prarie.

all the loading gear and spares are on the front

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

watering complete at inwroclaw, our £1000 hired spare engine on the rear is eu07-1007.
    5521`s next destination by boat is finland and a bunch of baltic stop overs before going probably going on display at the NRM for a while.

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think it was more "for the hell of it" than to make money.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

5521 was running under a 2 year hire agreement therefore i'm sure the engine made money for it's owner.
    I understand 1 year was paid by PKP the other by WE. I have no doubts one year it made money for the hirer's, however it did spend considerable time sidelined during the winter, and 2 different quarters in the summer basically hanging out in Budapest or Leszno sheds...I think that element could have been managed better.

That aside, I very much enjoyed my run with 5521 to Bydgoszcz, and basically enjoyed what is probably the last every runs with a GWR prarie at 55mph +/- :), and probably the last time a GWR prarie will be seen at a mainline double round house, with 18 roads !.. the coaling was something to be seen.

with a new PKP Coach / EU07 daily changing the only constant on the train was the engine itself so 5521 carried it's spare springs, railing ramps, jacks and even the drivers back pack on the front running plate for it's journey !!..

If I can figure it out, I have an excellant highspeed start video of 5521 to share.

5521 is in generally good condition, however after 2 years of 38x high speed starts a day during peak season, and 55mph running it is a little tired. The air pump will probably remain as it's being loaded for export tomorrow.

5521 has now joined an elite of steam locomotives to have gone international, and the efforts of those that made it happen should be appreciated..The biggest impact 5521 has probably played is the surivial if not the true creation of steam preservation awareness amongst Polish people in Poland... 3 years ago the WE contract was due to expire, PKP management viewed Wolsztyn as the last breath of communism in PKP and something to extinguish. The arrival of a spotless green tank engine from England, bringing thousands of english tourists has produced TV Cameras and Polish celebrities to Wolsztyn for the last 2 years and in deed brought out Polish enthusiasts all over the country.. even the last run on Sunday had leaked through the Polish grapevine and a TV camera appeared in Bydgoszcz as did most of the PKP staff's camera's, and passengers.. theres no doubt Polish preservation and steam in Poland owes a little to the media profile the GW tank generated.

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So all we need now is another British owner/group to see the possibilities in taking a larger loco to Poland/Europe.

6. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Shhhhhh thats only a rumour at the moment... :-$ but if it were to roll in next May on a railtour from Berlin... i'd be on it.
    At £10k per day to hire.. / 2 runs a day / 8 turns thats not a cheap driving turn each day, and a big financial risk for those that pay it.

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Here's a few pictures of the prarie's last run..

including a prarie carrying a back pack and a british flag.. ! (not your usual tourist).
    http://gallery.national-preservation.co ... fullsize=1

and an example of extreme coaling:
    http://gallery.national-preservation.co ... m=6&pos=17

more pictures here
    http://gallery.national-preservation.co ... hp?album=6

Recorded timings:

Poznan dep 08.32
    Poznan Wschod pass 08.42
    Gniezno arr 09.26 / dep 09.55
    Inowroclaw arr 10.48
    to shed 10.53
    ex shed 12.10
    Inowroclaw dep 12.28
    Trzciniec arr 12.57 / 13.09 (signal check)
    Bydgoszcz arr 13.27
    to shed 13.47
    to roundhouse 14.18

Distance: 153 km / 94 miles.
    journey time: 2 hour 34 mins

av speed: 60kph / 37.4mph (inc starting / stopping).
    Top speed 90 kph / 55mph ish.

Train consist:

PKP 2nd class 50 51 20-08 385 1151 (46 tons)
    PKP EU07-1007 (83.5 tons)
    Train weight : 129.5 tons

9. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Any updates on where the loco is now, where she is headed?

10. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Last I heard she was off to the NRM, don't know where afterwards

11. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    The loco actually went to Hungary where the owner has business interests and where his contacts with the Hungarian National Railway Museum in Budapest had led to an invitation to bring the Prairie to the museum's annual steam Gala ( held in September ) with a prospect that certification through the Museum would give the loco more freedom to operate within the European mainland.

Once certified the locomotive was an attractive opportunity for the WE team which had been suffering loco shortages due to staff shortages affecting maintenance scheduling thus the Prairie was offered some work at Wolsztyn - subject to gaining Polish certification which was achieved at very much the last minute.

The loco has never made a financial profit but I understand that its presence on the European mainland has generated contacts and opened business doors that had previously been closed to the loco owner; in short the loco operation is part of a long-term business project which the owner will doubtless reveal at the appropriate time once the necessay contracts have been negotiated, agreed and signed.

Until then it is simply a matter of gratitude that the owner was prepared to undertake the effort to display his Prairie to a supportive foreign audience rather than the constantly critical linesiders on this side of the Channel.

12. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Wow, it appears this has been a very positive trip, not only has this broadcast British steam to the masses but it has acted as a spark to get the Polish movement going as well, very commendable!
    m0rris

13. indeed it is good just a shame it was a gwr engine they sent! lol

14. RalphW

It had ther advantage of being driven from the same side.

15. IKB

IKB Member

What better ambassador could you ask for!!!!

16. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

maybe Isambard himself would be a better ambassador....but only just....

17. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    Perhaps a certain 9F could go.
    the melter

18. RalphW

We should send a Scot or Jubilee and show johnny foreigner just what performance a medium sized UK loco has.

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I understand 5521 is in Hull Docks.. unconfirmed.

20. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    *splash*