If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

50026 Indomitable

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Swan Age, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Anybody have any news regarding pushing the start button on this superbly restored machine, i had heard previously that a start-up was hoped for before Christmas.

Was this achieved?

If not anyone have any news on when it is likely to happen.

2. 76079

76079 Member

I dont believe it has happened as yet.

Best place for news updates on said machine i find is Tony Middletons fotopic site. (just type 37308 into the search function on fotopic and its displayed as "Midi's gallery" or something similar) Hes the guy who owns 37308 but he photos everything at Old Oak Common. Each loco has its own gallery.

Both 37308 and 50026 will be moving to Eastleigh depot to be completed and i believe that is what they are working towards at the moment, getting both locos weather tight and all major / large components craned into the locos ready for transit.

I would also imagine that things are going slowly atm due to the need to clear all their bits out of OOC asap.

3. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    My info is it's not far off.

You may wonder why such a "die hard steam man" is in the know, you may be surpised to hear I was involved with the preservation of 26, way back when it was sitting at Booths, Rotherham. An interesting fact for you!

I've just found this, that's me leaning out of the front cab! [​IMG]

4. 76079

76079 Member

ETH generator, last of the radiators and last roof section now returned to the loco. Connection of all pipes and electrical cubicle to the rest of the loco now being undertaken. So a little way to go yet. Then i understand its TPWS and OTMR installation

5. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Thanks for the info, looking forward to it returning to service soon.

Would be nice to see her visit the MHR, her first preservation home, although i am not sure the owner would agree, or has the passage of time healed things there as well?

Bearing in mind the different regime that now runs the MHR from the early 1990`s, is it possible a future gala visit may happen?

6. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I always thought the Network South East livery really suited the Class 50.

7. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    I think you'll find the regime at the MHR and the owner have changed since then!

8. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I was sorry to see it leave the MHR. Matt didn't you also work on the loco when it was at the MHR back in the 1990's. I can't remember but Andy Ford and Dave Warwick said you did. Like I said a big shame that she left the MHR.

9. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    I certainly did. Class 50's where my weak spot in my younger years.

I would think the most likely option would be 26 going to the MHR on the railtour, now that would be good!

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

11. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I absolutly love "Hoovers"!! I remember every year when I was younger on my way down to North Devon travelling behind them from London Waterloo to Exeter St Davids! Plenty of times they were double-headed! Fantastic sound!

Be good to have her visit the MHR! Roaring up Chawton Bank!!! Green would suit her paired with the SR MK1's on the MHR!!!! \:D/ =D>

12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    For me too, it's the Waterloo-Exeter line I will associate them with. Lovely scenery and until 1993 one of the last bastions of loco haulage on the former Southern network. Good to hear 50026 isn't far off making a return to working order. It was my favourite '50'.

13. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Class 50s were never painted green in BR days apart from 50007 (D407) 'Sir Edward Elgar'/'Hercules' which was painted in green by the apprentices’ at Laira depot (Plymouth) and 50044 (D444) 'Exeter' which was paint green by the fifty fund. Only one livery for me BR Blue with large logo.

14. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    Here here!

The best variation for me was the classic Laira touch, black roof, orange stripe, red buffer beam, silver buffers and maybe even white wheels!

[​IMG]

15. 34007

Great photos as always mate! You put us all to shame!!! =D>

As for BR days Sir Edward Elgar I remember in the early 90's towards the end of the 50's/47 era on MK2's in Green livery...

16. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    Can't take the credit for that I'm afraid, it was one I found on the net! I thought I included the link, but must have missed it off

Here it is, looks a great site: http://www.hondawanderer.com/Class_50.htm

17. 34007

Thanks for the link Matt - I'm going to have many memories trawling through this site! I'm almost disgusted it isn't your's my friend! Only joking of course!! Thanks again!

Any chance you can takes photos if and when 50026 runs on MHR metals? Maybe get a calander every month for the loco on the line if and only if she does make an appearance?

18. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

I used to spend Wednesday afternoons on the end of Lancaster Castle station, skiving off sports at school.

At the time, the WCML was electrified as far North as Crewe, and the D400ers as we knew them were double heading expresses from Crewe to Glasgow.

The sight and sound of a pair of class 50's tearing through on the fast line was something to behold.

19. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Loco started for the first time today, in a long while. Picture here: http://www.50026.com/

Well done to all involved in bringing this Hoover back to life.

20. Edward

Edward Member

That is a credit to diesel preservation.

There are too many locos sitting on preserved lines, without a clear plan & fundraising scheme to return them to traffic in a presentable condition.

Why can't "Lion" look this good after over a decade of regular use on a major preserved railway?

I'm a die hard steam man (despite being a mainline diesel driver), but I am impressed by this effort, including your effort to have a decent website.

I hope you enjoy your loco for many years to come!