If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

50 Great British Locomotives Mag

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by 73129, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi all anyone got a copy of 50 Great British locomotives from WH Smiths yet?

2. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

A number of WHS shops have them positioned in the area by the tills as part of a promotion, so look there first. Copies are also supposed to be in a few Asda and Tesco stores.

If you do have any problems locating a copy, an email to railway@ipcmedia.com would be appreciated, so it can be addressed.

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Yep, I got it the day it came out and it's pretty good. Like the introduction says opinions will differ about the selections made. Oh and by the way there are actually 51 loco's in the book.............

4. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

It's an excellent little publication I found, well researched and just the right balance between technical detail and general description to keep you entertained

5. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Well, there's a bonus !!

We felt, that given the blood, sweat and tears the A1 Steam Trust has toiled over 18 years, the fantastic achievement completing the of building 60163 Tornado, which is poised to become a great loco (if the recent testing at the Great Central is anything to go by) just had to be included.

Yesterday I saw the loco on the turntable in the Great Hall of the NRM, and it looked every inch the star it is.

Looking forward to seeing it on the main line during the forthcoming test runs.

6. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well, there's a bonus !!

We felt, that given the blood, sweat and tears the A1 Steam Trust has toiled over 18 years, the fantastic achievement completing the of building 60163 Tornado, which is poised to become a great loco (if the recent testing at the Great Central is anything to go by) just had to be included.

Yesterday I saw the loco on the turntable in the Great Hall of the NRM, and it looked every inch the star it is.

Looking forward to seeing it on the main line during the forthcoming test runs.[/quote:3uznstc7]

Yes the A1 Steam Trust deserve all the praise they get. I can't wait to see 60163 in the flesh as I haven't managed to yet. It was a pleasant surprise to find another loco in the book. I wonder in the future when another edition is published by the RM will we see a new Mikado from the A1 Trust as the "bonus" entry?

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Well, there's a bonus !!

Looking forward to seeing it on the main line during the forthcoming test runs.[/quote:29jc4zn6]

Yes the A1 Steam Trust deserve all the praise they get. I can't wait to see 60163 in the flesh as I haven't managed to yet. It was a pleasant surprise to find another loco in the book. I wonder in the future when another edition is published by the RM will we see a new Mikado from the A1 Trust as the "bonus" entry?[/quote:29jc4zn6]

I can only see the Trust going from strength to strength! They have future plans for their next loco. And as they say 'The wheels are in motion'

8. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The A1 was on display on the turntable in the Great Hall of the NRM when I visited last week - and stunning it looked too.

See: http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=123

W/C November 4 it begins a series of runs for main line certification. Everyone has their fingers crossed for even greater achievements. After the test runs, it's into the paint shop.

9. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

I obtained my copy of "50 Great British Locomotives " yesterday.

An excellent publication; well done to all concerned =D>

10. nipper

nipper New Member

I thought this was a nice effort, with some previously unseen photos. Well done.

11. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Can you buy it by sending away for it?

Thanks

12. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

It was in Smiths in Darlington this morning if you're in that area, also at the newsagents in Darlington covered market.

13. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    I assume there wont be anything industrial contained within it?

14. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    When I flicked through it their didnt seem to be any thing
    :smt009
    Not even an austerity 0-6-0st!!!

15. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

I checked the office stock yesterday, and there is literally a handful left. It's very much a case of when they've gone....etc
    We can do them at £5.75 inc p&p, but you have to quote 'Nat Pres offer', and these are subject to availability.

To order call Jessica on 020 3148 4327, and we do take debit/credit card payments.

If anyone wants back issue of The Railway Magazine, that is the number to call.

16. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Ask ten people what their 50 favourite locos are and you could get 500 different choices, and are the number people that would consider an 0-6-0 Austerity 'great' in a majority or minority?

It's all a matter of personal taste, never an easy one to call, and the humble workhorses of the network and industrial lines do tend to get shoved out by their bigger and more glamorous cousins. I'm sorry that we were unable to include one, it was in the short list of 75 that was whittled down to 50, and appreciate that you may be disappointed.

If we do a second edition, then I'll make sure it is included.

17. Rander

Rander New Member

Very good - some interesting choices in there. I liked the fact that long-scrapped locos were included, seen as how most publications of this sort leave them out in favour of obscure preserved locos.

Tiny error I noticed, just being pedantic here -

Cock o' the North appeared in 1934 - 11 years after Britain's first Mikado, which was the Davey Paxman "River Esk", built at Colchester for the 15" gauge Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. This locomotive, unlike the P2 class, is still surviving and in daily service in the Lake District, 85 years later.

Of course, this is another example of the 15" gauge being overlooked. Many publications will state that the Great Central Railway has the longest stretch of double track for any heritage railway (no mention of gauge)... wrong! It has only 5 1/2 miles of double track, whereas the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway has 8 miles of double track, between New Romney and Hythe. But I digress...

Would certainly like to see more publications of this sort. It was well-written with good illustrations and layout. Another Railway Magazine success!

18. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Thanks for the replies =D>

Managed to grab a copy at WHSmith on Newcastle station yesterday morning.

A good read, hope we see more of the same in 2009.

Best Regards