If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Jan 17, 2009.

1. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    Looks FANTASTIC! Well done to all the people involved. As someone who is involved with Mayflower, its nice to see someone else coming out with a loco which isn't in drab black!!!

2. porous pot

porous pot New Member

It looks good to me! Something different, something that somehow puts up a couple of fingers to the "I must be right" brigade. Congratulations to all involved!

3. Stepney32655

Stepney32655 New Member Account Suspended

Grave-digger
    I can't complain, because I didn't put a penny into 48624s restoration. Just let me know when the double-heading is likely to occur and I'll keep well away! Everyone will be happy then!

4. 23E

23E Member

5. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

Can I offer my apologises to the 8F mob for even suggesting that this may be an April fool.

It does look good; a trip up to Peak Rail is now on the cards.

6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks good, and ultimately the paint is just a means of protection.

Playing devils advocate, its interesting that there is a great deal of frothing on here that the painting in an inaccurate livery is not 'preservation' as its a change to the historic aretfact and doesnt represent the locomotive as it did in service. However this never seems to happen when something like air brakes are fitted to a loco, paint can be changed and doesn't affect the physical elements of the loco - things like air brakes need piping runs and I assume holes drilled in frames etc to mount systems - which is actually worse in terms of 'preservation'??

well done to all involved in this loco!

7. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have to agree with 23E's comments about 6100, yuk.
    I look forward to seeing 48624. Well done to all involved in its restoration.

8. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I second 23E's comments about what is perhaps "Bressingham Red" rather than LMS maroon.

Perhaps we should be pedantic and suggest that they renumber the red Scot as 6152, as was its identity until 1933.... :-k

Congratulations to the Rowsley lads, would it be too much to ask for publication of the 8F's in-steam duties dates once it has had a shake-down period please? I certainly want to visit.

WD 150 perhaps gets a well-earned rest now?

Regards

9. chrisj94

chrisj94 New Member

Peak Rail Volunteer Alan Taylor has posted this excellent video on youtube...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h68yllkLARI certainly sums up the mood and atmosphere of the day.
    Even I didn't manage to escape the glare of the camera lens though,I tried my best to hide!

Chris

10. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    All i can say is WOW! The video is brilliant so congradulations to that man first on an excellent video, to the guys who have restored the engine well done! It looks brilliant!

Alex

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Great to see it on the move. Shame about the loud and intrusive piano music on the video drowning out what we really want to hear!

Why are our lives continually polluted by background music wherever you go....

Well done the lads at Rowsley!

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Congratulations.

I too originally believed this was an April Fools joke, it looks very cool...
    There's too many BR black locomotives out there, and with 48151, 48305 both operational anyone wanting a Black 8F doesnt need to go too far from Buxton to see one.
    One of the things making SSS2 gala so good was the variety of colour on offer.

As for a double header.. Leander and this definitely !

I still say there's oppourtunity out there for the brave...

A BR Blue 8f or Black 5.
    This 8f in Southern green sometime in the future !

Peak Rail's now in my travel plans.

13. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well 17 pages and counting .... I'd say they've achieved their objective hansomely. Must be amongst the highest number of posts for any engine coming into traffic ever on here, and probably a record for anything related to Peak Rail I'd guess too.

Well done lads. Excellent job - I'll be up to see it as soon as poss. (Please make sure she only ever moves with her rods down though, so as not to spoil my mastershot :smt043 . )

Iain

14. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Talking about 5407 in Furness Red in an earlier post prompted me to rummage around in a few boxes until i found this.................................[attachment=0:31dabwzw]5407 FR Carnforth 1970.jpg[/attachment:31dabwzw]

15. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

You and me both!

I wonder if it - or anything else will ever roll into Buxton across Bridge Street - the opportunity that Peak Rail abandoned, even after I had served it up to them on a plate complete with the bridge abutments twenty plus years ago.

Perhaps that's where the maroon comes in - embarrassment at what they have walked away from over the years so that they can "play" trains on a stub end twenty miles away outside the Peak proper.

Ashwood Dale, Blackwell Mill, Monsal Dale, that's Peak Railway - not a bit of lowland valley. bottom.

16. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Don't you think that if the move didn't go ahead then the bottom part of the line would of been lost forever, most likley would of been built on. The present sisuation is that there is the possibility of opening thw whole line still.

17. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

Oh yes - very likely!

You are aware of all the debate about the Manchester - Derby formation over the years.

With a base in Buxton - and rights over Network Rail's Ashwood Dale the potential to gain the really scenic part of the line at Blackwell Mill and thence to Bakewell was a no brainer.

Instead Peak Rail sold off its potential base in Buxton to the fizzy water company for thirty pieces of silver, and except for a sliver of still vacant land, cleared off to Matlock.

Good business that - eh?

18. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Not exactly, Frank. As I see it, it's about keeping traditions alive, and traditions, like languages, are living things that change and adapt in response to the people carrying them forward, and the times those people live in. The debate is about how far, how fast and in what direction the traditions develop and what one should take as the reference point for "the past". Different preservation groups can, and should, take different views of what is "right" for their own projects. As I have said on more than one occassion, context is everything.

The locos, rolling stock, buildings and people encompassed by the term "railway preservation" all have a continuing history beyond August 1968. In many cases, the only thing remotely "special" about the things that have survived is simply that they have survived, and what has happened to them since they were "preserved". The decision to paint (4)8624 in crimson lake livery has given that loco some new history. It's too late now to change it. Just as 44932 is "the green black five", 8624 is now "the red 8F". So long as no-one tries to pretend that the LMS ever operated it, or other members of the class, in that livery, well, good luck to them. It's not the choice I would have made, but I think the result is interesting and certainly thought-provoking.

19. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I'm not so sure that the P&D is not authentic. Admitedly, individual locos and carriages are painted in liveries they didn't carry in BR days, which wouldn't do for a high-minded musuem. However, the railway company is doing exactly what railway companies have always done: painting their higher-profile locos and rolling stock in attractive liveries, naming locos and trains to attract attention and publicity. In that respect, the P&D is one of the most authentic steam railways in the country, because it is continuing the traditions of its predecessors. Except in one respect, of course - it makes a profit and pays a dividend, which was rather rare during some periods of railway history!

20. simonwass

simonwass New Member

I do like it in red but has the painter got carried away.
    Wouldnt the tender top works all be black, the vents, scoop dome & filler? I think to follow the painting schedule would also entail the cab roof above the rain strips to be finished in black also.
    Also, the video on youtube makes the tender to look to be in undercoat, was the 1st run really on the 25th or is only one side lined & finished?
    All credit to you all though, to restore an 8F outside with limited onsite facilities is madness =D>