If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

46233 - CME - 22/07/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by LMarsh1987, Jul 22, 2017.

1. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thanks Alan , must admit I was very lucky !

2. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Cheers Shep , close call I must admit !!

3. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Cumbrian Mountain Express 22 July 2017 – 46233 Duchess of Sutherland hauling 10+POB

As I said to Mrs W on Friday night, it will make a nice change to do it the other way round. (Stop smirking, no Percy Filth here, you know what I meant; north over the S&C and south over Shap). Although I could have joined the train at Blackburn, I chose to drive to Wigan and get the extra steam miles.

The “Big Girl” rounded the curve and drew majestically into platform 5. I took my seat in coach H, 10 back from the loco – the 47 that had dragged the train to Liverpool LS was still attached to the rear (this will get the usual suspects hurrying to their keyboards). RT, Ron Smith got us away, assisted by Simon Scott. We reached a max of 65 around Balshaw Lane and then ran SL before being held for 2min at Farington Jn before we crossed to take the Blackburn line. Once clear of the main line we stopped and detached the 47 (cancel the irate posts and well done WCRC and RTC). We drew forward to Lostock Hall Jn and after a wait of just over a minute we set off, progress was steady and we topped Hoghton Bank at 32 and a few minutes later arrived at Blackburn RT, and subsequently departed RT. At Blackburn it began to rain. We topped Wilpshire at 31 and continued in steady rain through the Ribble valley on what was an easy booking to arrive at Hellifield 9E.

Having taken water we were away 3E. Although probably not raining as we left, it had been, and appeared likely to do so again at any minute. This may explain the subdued start; we dropped a couple of minutes to Long Preston (1E & 30mph), but such was the booking we passed Settle Jn 3E but at only 53 (rather than the usual 60+). There was a flat on one of the coach wheels, more pronounced on LH curves) which made it difficult to hear the loco even though the toplight was fully open. Settle (4E & 44), Helwith Bridge (3½E & 34), speed increased on the level beyond to 40 but fell back again to 36 at Horton in R (3E). Beyond Selside it began to rain and speed dropped further to around 29 before Ribblehead, but rallied to 31 through the station (2E), then across the viaduct and Blea Moor SB (4E & 28). DoS had done all that was necessary with a load well within her capabilities. The early running continued; Dent (3E), Garsdale (4E & 51), Ais Gill (3½E & 50), Kirkby Stephen (5E & 60).

As we approached Appleby it began to rain very hard and as the train braked and leant to the curve a stream of water poured in through the toplight; luckily (for me) I had an aisle seat and it was the two guys in the window seats who took the brunt of it – nothing that a few paper towels didn’t sort. We stopped 6E, watered in heavy rain and left 2E. We continued downhill at or just below 60 and by Lazonby & Kirkoswald we were 5E, speed was eased to the mid 40s and we passed Armathwaite (still 5E & 43), Howe & Co (5E) and Petteril Bridge Jn (7E). We were stopped 5E at London Rd Jn and departed 1L before coming to a stop in platform 3 at Carlisle (2L).

A quick look at the loco then off to the Woodrow Wilson for lunch. It had stopped raining for the final part of our journey but began again as I walked the couple of hundred yards to the pub. Shortly after I sat down the heavens opened and it teemed down for almost 2 hours – fancy being trapped in a pub for 2 hours! Eventually, the rain eased, and although there was still around an hour to go before departure I set off back to the station. Most of the passengers also appeared to have made an early return for shelter. After waiting for a suitable gap in the traffic, Mick Kelly backed DoS and the support coach onto the ECS in A road, drew south then reversed into platform 3.

A late running Glasgow-Euston delayed our departure and we left 2½L with Mick Kelly and Nigel Barber on the footplate. We were now only 3 coach lengths from the front and Mr Kelly soon had DoS making the right sort of sounds. This path calls for us to be looped at Plumpton, just less than 13 miles from Carlisle, to allow a Pendolino to pass. Usual practice is a RT departure and a fairly gentle run into the loop a little late but early enough not to delay the following train. Our late departure meant that DoS had to be worked harder to make the loop in time. The line climbs all the way to Plumpton, on the first 4 miles (1/131r) speed reached 45, the next 2 miles (1/184r) up to 49 and on the next 3 miles (1/228r) speed was held at 50 before slowing for the loop where we stopped 2½L; making it 21 min as per schedule. (The mileages for the various parts of the climb are approximate).

The Pendolino passed (L) and we were away 1½L on what was now a sunny afternoon. Some starts from the loop can be vigorous as attempts are made to achieve maximum speed before the foot of the climb to Shap proper. This was more measured as the heavy exhaust beat quickened, a long whistle and we were through Penrith only half a minute down and doing 54. The acceleration continued until we reached a maximum of 64 as we hit the start of the 1/125r, by Clifton and Lowther this had fallen back to 59, but it wasn’t going to be allowed to fall back any further and for the rest of the climb speed was held at around 59 all the way to MP40 where the level section begins. The rapid heavy exhaust beat was mesmeric and as good as I have heard from the big girl in a long time. Job done, DoS was eased on the level and we sauntered to the summit (½L & 52). MP48¼ to MP40 took 8m 19s, av. speed 59.5mph. Ok, a light load for a Duchess but she still had to do it and she did! A quick, but not rapid, descent gradually gained on schedule. We were through Oxenholme (2E & 74) and Milnthorpe (4½E & 73) before slowing for Carnforth N Jn and into the loop for water (1E).

We were ready in good time but had to wait for late running service trains and left 9L. Mick Kelly was going to do his best to reduce this and we shot through the centre road at Lancaster (7½L & 64). We reached 70 near Galgate and headed south at around 75/6 before dropping below 70 again just south of a cloudy Broughton; we were now less than 3L. However, we were checked approaching Fylde Jn and had almost stopped before the signal cleared. As we entered Preston 47760 was waiting in the sidings at the north end. We stopped 4½L, 47760 was attached to the rear and 4L we set off south. We were on the SL and progress was steady as we waited for a south bound service to pass us on the FL, once it was past (south of Leyland), DoS was opened up and we passed through Euxton Balshaw Lane (½L & 57) and Balshaw Lane (RT & 59), we reached a maximum of 68 on the descent from Coppull. All too soon we stopped in Wigan NW (RT). Just time for a walk along the platform to see DoS, with steam blasting from a safety valve, eager to be off and with a short toot of the whistle away she went.

My thanks to all those who organised and operated a very enjoyable trip. The only downside the trip was the weather in Carlisle that is until I was driving home. On the M6 around Charnock Richard we had a cloudburst, and traffic, idiots apart, was down to 40mph with standing water everywhere, when I reached home (about 10 miles east) it hadn’t even rained.

4. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Credit where and when credit is due!

Fulwood Flyer likes this.
  5. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We can do without prats like this (probably 'Joe Public'). Not my footage.

6. steam man

steam man New Member

What an irresponsible blob, he couldn't have cared less about where he was stood, just a pity BTP weren't around, they would have lightened his wallet.

7. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

The problem is the disjunction between contemporary H&S rules and individual risk assessment. He will have correctly judged that his action does not remotely place him in danger from trains. Later today I shall walk along a derestricted rural A-road, without pavements, and sight lines obstructed by summer vegetation. This is dangerous and it is something that many people do every day. Ranting about "prats" or "irresponsible blobs" will do nothing to prevent such incidents. The only solution is to explain why Railway H&S regulations are so restrictive.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

.......or separate out those that are absolutely necessary from those that exist because nobody is assumed to have any common sense nowadays. But that is for another thread. By the way, I agree that this person should have known better even though he did seem aware.

banana patch likes this.
  9. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Are you for real as trespass is trespass even if you think it looks safe ! Don't think BTP would wash with your explanation some how !!

46223 and Shep Woolley like this.
  10. 73082

73082 Member

As has been noted many times both here and elsewhere, particularly in response to the Flying Scotsman trespass incidents, many non-enthusiasts simply don't realise that line side trespass is a criminal offence. Tied to a lack of thought exhibited by some for their own safety, possibly just because they are "caught up in the moment", easily leads to this sort of incident. I was out with a non-enthusiast friend recently and on the way home, seeming as we are both photographers and had to wait around for a connecting train, decided to get a few shots. At this point, he promptly moved to within a few inches of the edge of the platform - in his eyes, he was in a safe position given that no train was approaching. He didn't appreciate the danger until I explained it to him; my point is how so many fail to consider the dangers, let alone the legal consequences of some of their actions, when they concentrating on getting a better shot, as the man in the above video clearly was. It certainly doesn't justify such actions, but it might help to explain why they happen.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  11. Enterprise

You completely miss the point.

12. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Steve I agree with you trespass is trespass regardless of silly remarks made on here and hopefully the trespasser will be dealt with(dont like men with tattoos on arms)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Johnb and sgthompson like this.
  13. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Well, for what it's worth, had I witnessed that during my 30 yr + career in BTP, I would have been inclined to take his details, see him off the premises and warn him as to his future conduct. Had he kicked off with a 'why don't you go and catch some real criminals' rant (not uncommon for trespass events), then he would have got a summons.

Happily retired from that part of my life for over 15 years...I have no idea how the current generation deal with trespass incidents of THAT nature.

14. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    How can the trespass incident be taken as nothing other than your take on a H&S rule when you mention it as being a walk along a road as like I say trespass is trespass even if the clown did his own risk assessment !!

15. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

The discussion is effectively at cross purposes. The safety or otherwise of an activity is one aspect. The legality or otherwise of an activity is a different aspect. The bounds of what is legal may have been determined partly by considerations of safety, but in the case of trespass on a railway mainly or entirely by other considerations.

Walking beside the railway, inside the fence but well clear of the track, is indeed safer than walking along some roads, but that has no relevance to whether it is legal.

5098 likes this.
  16. Enterprise

The issue to consider is how best to educate people ignorant of the H&S requirements on the modern railway to behave in a compliant manner. Ranting on a forum and calling them "prats", "irresponsible blobs" or clowns does nothing to further that aim. The point I made in my original post is quite clear.

17. steam man

steam man New Member

He was described as such because that's what he is . There would have been plenty of advisery signs where he was stood and he would have done well to read them, you wouldn't need H&S guidance telling you not to walk along a motorway , it's called common sense, it's about time this guy used his share.

18. henrywinskill

Well said Sir!

19. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    They're not H&S requirements, It's the law. It is against the law to trespass on the railway. End off. The pillock was trespassing. How do you propose to 'educate' people like him ? nothing has worked so far.
    Steam locos and trespass cause endless problems for the authorities (FS being a case in point)
    BTP should 'educate' the prat in the video to the full extent of the law because I'll tell you this, steam on the main line sure as hell won't survive somebody trespassing and getting killed pursuing that classic photo shot.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    RalphW, henrywinskill and 46223 like this.
  20. henrywinskill

Surely someone on here recognizes him.If so tell me his name(PM) I will report him no probs!