If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45699 Galatea

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by TonyMay, Apr 3, 2010.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Whilst Mr Rileys own Locomotives , like those maintained at Tyseley, have an excellent reputation for reliability and performance -the common factor there is regular and thorough maintainence perhaps rather than some engineering x-factor. Im not sure that there is anything at bury in terms of facilities that west coast cant also supply, similarly exprience and expertise are either there already or can be brought in / bought in as required. The difference being that west coast locos seem to be underpressure to be out earning more and being' serviced' less. ?

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Not sure I'd agree with that view,Riley's pair spend the best part of 6 months a year working daily, some 400+ miles from their home base, and still have time for a few months here and there outside that season. Almost everyone's locos have 3-4 months down time in Winter.

mike1522 likes this.
  3. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The two posts above by mike1522 and class8mikado may be well intentioned, but are not particularly helpful.

I repeat my comment that whatever is not right with "Galatea" was not serious enough to see it fail its mainline "fitness to run" exam.

Perhaps the comments about the amount of "running in" the Carnforth engines do--or dont do--is valid though.

4. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

But who did the FTR???

5. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I am glad to hear that the problem, whatever it is, is not as bad as may have been thought.

Meanwhile, I have some different news for the dedicated fans of this locomotive.

The Bagnall Locomotive Group have managed to secure a number of Bachmann OO gauge models of Galatea. These are the remnant of the limited edition model produced in around 1997 in support of the original restoration attempt. They are mint boxed unused except for recent testing, complete with original limited edition certificates. The profits will be used to support the restoration of "The Duke" at Wirksworth, and the closing stages of restoration of "Vulcan" at Barrow Hill. £90 + £8-00 p +p. £80 plus £8-00 to nat pres members who pm me here. Or models can be collected from Wirksworth by arrangement. First come first served - when they are gone, that's it.

Tim

6. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Well it appears that my views on the 3-cylinder ex LM engines run by WC did chime a common chord. Not just WC, look at 6100.............
    I asked about 5690 because I travelled behind this Jubilee many times. It was always most dependable. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with what WC are trying to achieve but rather that they are not having much luck. I may have my favourites but preservation is hard enough without ill-fortune stalking you.
    So 5690, how is it getting on?

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not quite sure what empathy Galatea requires ?

Mr Meanley's heavy engineering an loco overhaul works at Tyseley have a proven track record of loco overhauls and also have first hand experience with Jubilee's both with 5593 and more recently 5690 plus have been entrusted with the overhaul of 45596 .

I'm sure if help were needed the team at Carnforth would seek support

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Give Galatea time, my very rough calculations reckon its probably +/- the 1500 mile mark, but maybe more significantly is how many trips it did it in... It did probably half its total in its ramble around Anglia one weekend, and a half dozen or so trips out and about.
    A 1000 miles on a preserved line would probably take 20-30 days over a number of months... Giving a much better inspection and gentler running.

That's said.. In BR days they didnt do it that way.. But then Galatea wasn't a "in out" overhaul either.

9. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Why is that relevant.....

10. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

And the fact that Leander is based with her team at Carnforth, suggest they know a thing or two about repairing LMS 3 cylinder machines.

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

exactly so calling for Mr Riley to have a look all seems rather pointless

12. guycarr360

Its a straightforward question, who did it, a third party with no relationship with WCRC, or WCRC????

If its the later, it would raise a concern to me about letting a loco onto the mainline that may stand a greater chance of sitting down, and using the mainline, as a testing ground for repairs.

That does nobody any favours when it sits down, passengers, tour operator, never mind jeopardising relationships with NR, or maybe is that why a 47 is following it around like a shadow at the moment????

mike1522 likes this.
  13. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    AFAIK, train operating companies generally do their own FTR's. Why should WCRC be different?

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    And they are the ones who are responsible if anything happens, but whilst the FTR ensures that things are no obvious problems, and no matter how thorough the FTR inspection, you cannot guarantee that nothing will go wrong or fail 10 miles down the line.

15. guycarr360

Conflict of interests maybe, maybe putting something out they are not 100% sure is up to the job???

Only have to look at Sundays The Waverley, to see what I am alluding to.....

Watch the video footage, and see if that is a fit loco????

16. guycarr360

It comes down to £££ ralph, as usually is the case. If something fails 10 mile down the line, then either the thoroughness of the FTR, or the quality of engineering in the first place has to be called into question, is this the real reason why nearly all WCRC trips are now having diesels in the consist???

Have NR specified it to them, as a pre-requisite of running, we all know they got a knuckle rap after setting the ECML on fire last year???

17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    So there is a conflict of interest with WCRC but not with every other TOC?

18. guycarr360

What I am trying to get across to you is, why does the owner do the FTR, and not an independent instead???

Farces like yesterdays Waverley, would be avoided, as independent advice would have been given to the locos credentials before setting off.

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    What makes you think and independent examiner would be any more likely to pick up problems that the owners exam. You seem to be accusing the owners of skimping on the inspection or just not being capable....

20. guycarr360

Do you see the performance of Galatea or yesterdays Waverley as been acceptable from a mainline operator????

Answer truthfully, because a bias is slowly starting to show itself in your posts.....