If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

44901 going to gwsr.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Gav106, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. The Facebook group has lots of pictures of the group at Barry.
    Looks like it's Mike Hoskin and co.
    I'm actually really interested in joining and it's nice to see another black 5 with a future.

Gav

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Nice aquisition, will take a lot of time and money, but just the type of thing needed for when the GWSR becomes a Honeybourne/Broadway - Cheltenham Racecourse operation.

with 4270 all but ready and 35006 not a million miles away, in additional to 2807 and the Turkish 8F (with whatever number it carries this week), though 7903 can't have long left, the GWSR will be quite healthy for home motive power in a couple of years.

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice to see that this loco has a good future assured.

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

with 4270 all but ready and 35006 not a million miles away, in additional to 2807 and the Turkish 8F (with whatever number it carries this week), though 7903 can't have long left, the GWSR will be quite healthy for home motive power in a couple of years.

I doubt if 44901 will be making a contribution for many years to come, if that is the inference. Look how long the Turkish 8F took, and that was a complete engine!

5. Martin Perry

6984 is there somewhere too - has there been much progress with it?

6. david1984

Your right it will be some years before 44901 can be made operational, but 4 home based Loco's is a very strong position to be in, it used to be the GWSR had to rely on one or two home based Loco's and a couple of hire in's to meet it's traffic needs.

Owsden Hall (as Martin mentions) and the 76XXX you don't hear much of so presumably they are further away, I seem to recall the last time I linsided there, various parts of the 76XXX were stored between Toddington station and Stanway Viaduct.

7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

You would be surprised, there has been quite a bit of progress on 6984 over the last few years so isnt as far off as you would imagine - the std 4 well apart from being taken apart is as it was when it left Barry! Dont forget that on the working engine front the hire of 5542 could well be extended as it was before and then there is the NRM's 4f coming on in leaps and bounds as well.

8. david1984

Excellent in that case Pete, the place woulden't seem the same without a Modified in traffic, I take it Raveningham will be staying on at the WSR for the forseeable future ?.

9. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

No idea what is happening with 6960 Tbh or what the plan is regarding the overhaul of 7903 and future operation although i am hopeful that 7903 will be overhauled and returned to the GWR.

10. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I had heard that 44901 might be coming to the GWSR and its good to know that this will now be happening. I have seen images of 8Fs on the Honeybourne Line during the 50s and 60s but not Black 5s although I'm sure they did work diversions when the Midland Line was closed for maintenance. Black 5s were certainly fairly common in BR days at Cheltenham (Lansdown) Station. Always impressive locos, another Black 5 will be a welcome addition and, although it will be some years before it steams, it will one day!

Regarding 76077, when I last visited the GWSR last month, its dismantled carcass was still resting on various flatwagons north of Toddington Station. I do hope that, once 35006 is running, that the P&O Team might be able to work their magic on this very useful 2-6-0 4MT but I'm not sure of the 76's ownership so this might not be the case.

Owsden Hall is coming on steadily and will be a great shed partner for 7903 and 2807.

11. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I'm surprised Ian Riley didn't end up with 44901, as he seems keen on building up his collection of Black fives. Still, it's better that this engine has gone to the Glos-Warwicks as they will need a few more engines as the line expands, Also, as 44901 hasn't ended up in Bury, that's one less engine to queue jump ahead of 35009, which I am looking forward to seeing in action again one day.

This now means that all 18 Black Fives seem to have a secure future, even though it will be a while before this engine, 45163 or 45293 are likely to steam. I would reckon that the GWSR will be in Broadway before 44901 steams. Perhaps it might be ready in time to open the Honeybourne extension??

It is also good to hear of another ex-Barry wreck in need of TLC finding a good home. We've had 2885 exchange hands recently, along with 4253 and 80150 last year. it is interesting that the hardest engines to sell seem to be the complete locos in need of an overhaul. 7760 and 4588 would be useful on many a line neding extra motive power, but they have been on the market for ages. I guess it all boils down to the price.

12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I wonder if 6989 will be available for hire once restored, which apparently isn't that far away. It won't get much of a chance to stretch its legs at Quainton.

13. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

If I recall correctly, Mr Riley did indeed try to buy/lease/obtain 44901 a number of years back, but I think there was a sticking point about a clause for the loco to return to Wales for a visit once restoration was complete. I wonder if the loco will still be subject to that clause?

Does anyone know if the loco has a tender and if not, whether there is a suitable one available? (Where did her tender go from Barry?)

It's good news that another loco has been saved, good luck to the GWSR and the restoration team!

Keith

14. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Why do you think the Turkish 8f was I Wales last year??

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Dont know but if not there's a complete one in turkey, probably buy and ship it for less than the cost of a scrap mark 1 coach here ! I would imagine there's a host of useful spares on one of the 8fs out there.. And it's going for scrap.

There is also another complete one which is on the "scrap threat" list.

16. Martin Perry

Probably one of the ones that went to Briton Ferry steelworks for the chassis to be used as an ingot carrier? The SVR did have a 'spare' Stanier tender some years back, do they still have it?

17. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

No - sold on years ago but I can't remember where it went. Believe it was previously coupled to 44888 as its last BR loco but came to the SVR from departmental service.

18. david1984

A Tender from Turkey might be a good idea, even if the Tank is rotten through, it would be worth it for the chassis.

19. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Is the Turkish 8F at Barry being cannibalised to provide parts for 44901?

20. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Thanks for the replies regarding her tender - for some reason I had always assumed it was just Bulleid tenders that went to Briton Ferry! You learn something new everyday...

The Facebook site reports that 'she now has safety valves and over 95% of all other necessary parts have been sourced' ... they just need to be paid for now!!
    I would assume that a tender would be amongst that 95%...

The Facebook site also mentions 2 boilers and making a decision as to which one to use, so I think that might mean using the 2nd Turkish 8F as a donor loco. 44901's boiler apparently has sprung firebox lap joints.

Keith