If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4472 What colour

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by 73129, May 8, 2008.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's not just the chimney that's double, there's also the double Kylchap blastpipe and associated gubbins such as splitter cones and petticoat pipes so to convert her back to single chimney isn't simply a case of bunging the old chimney back on.
    Most if not all of the A3s got their double chimneys before the deflectors were fitted - IIRC some remainded deflectorless to the end. The softer blast from the double Kylchap caused problems with drifting exhaust and so a remedy was sought, the deflectors being the chosen answer. Much smaller deflectors - more like wind vanes either side of the chimney - were tried first but found lacking so that also explains the gap between fitting of double chimney and the "German" deflectors.

2. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    According to the Steam Railway article from September 1993, the single chimney fell apart when it was removed, so a new one would have to be cast. The smokebox would also need to be altered - possibly by welding in a new section at the top.

The article does not state what happened to the blast pipe etc. but it does say that the plan at the time was for it to be returned to single chimney form for main line running in 1995. I would assume therefore that these parts were kept, but where they are now is anybody's guess.

Regards,

Dan

3. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Maybe not but it delivered consistency - as did all the A3s fitted with double chimneys - and I presume that the NRM will be looking for a consistent performance rather than record-breaking ones.

4. IKB

IKB Member

Heard another variation on the livery debate at the weekend:
    paint it white & put a trunk on it!!!

5. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Ok - if you want to put a single chimney on it then fine............. so long as it's a Lemaitre or Geisel =P~

6. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    A lempor would be interesting, to see if the next evolution of blast pipe after the Kylchap increases benefits even further.

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Thanks - I forgot that one!

8. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Now't wrong with a green thing flying through with 13 on with Smoke Defelectors! Remember seeing a video Unfortunately for me I miss it being far down South!!! ](*,) ](*,)

9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Reading this months SR magazine on page 95 (Mailbag) Mr Mike Darnton is spot on with his comments about 4472. Quoting Mr Darnton “The NRM has said in the past that it wants 4472 to be a proper A3 again and that it has nothing to prove. So why not go back to the single chimney and regain the classic A3 look of the 1930s that Alan Pegler himself set out to recapture back in 1963? As far as I’m aware the only difference in appearance between an A1 and A3 concerns the RHD and lack of superheater covers on the smoke box which Andrew points out the vast majority of people aren’t going to notice and which in any case are not going spoil the overall effect. Wouldn’t it be fabulous to see a single chimney apple green flying Scotsman alongside Mallard in the NRM.”

All I can say is Well said that man

10. Yes, i'll second that one!

FC

11. Muzza

Muzza New Member

So long as it gets out from time to time.

12. 34007

How about a complete LNER lineup? Flying Scotman, Mallard, Bittern, Tornado etc.... i must say i prefer Flying Scotsman with the smoke Deflectors fitted, although which is original in the design? with or without?

13. IKB

IKB Member

You obviously haven't read the rest of the thread. 8-[
    'Original' original is without.
    Whether or not they should be there now depends on what colour she's painted

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Does anyone know how the vac brake appeal is getting on? Let’s hope with SR magazine on the case it shouldn't be to long before the required funds have been donated.

Thanks

15. 34007

i've gone all the way through this thread. Still prefer 4472 with Smoke Deflectors fitted - Takes me to Tornado with Smoke Deflectors fitted? Does this not suit that class of loco and was this class originally fitted with Deflectors?

16. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Peppercorn A1's had them from the start. Don't get confused by the fact that the earliest A1's were Gresley pacifics that were later re-classified (after a little re-building) as A3's

17. grahamg

grahamg New Member

just to get back on track,any recent news of the state of the rebuild?

18. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

It's going back together steadily. More news when it happens.

19. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer

Well the latest issue of Heritage Raiway as more information on the rebuild more problems with the boiler.

20. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I havn't followed the rebuild in detail, but have just found a BBC News report from February saying that a "newly-built" boiler had been reunited with Flying Scotsman.

Apart from the "newly-built" bit which we will put down to jounalise, was this report actually incorrect, if the A3 boiler/firebox overhaul is still "work in progress"?

May I ask just out of interest who is undertaking the boiler/firebox overhaul?

By the way, and I know this is really boring now, but if the loco is restored with double chimney and deflectors then it should be in BR green livery as 60103! If LNER livery is to be used, then single chimney and no deflectors, as originally restored by Mr Pegler. Historical accuracy, NRM!...... ](*,)

Thanks