If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4472 What colour

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by 73129, May 8, 2008.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

When you have overhauled 4472 would it be possible for you to put her back in to BR green and NOT LNER green.
    [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you want a proper BR A3 I say lets get a new build going. I'm sure Maunsell Man will sponsor the nameplates. Once those are cast we can start ordering the paint!

3. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

LNER BLACK! Come on, just for a joke paint it black for a day or even better:
    BR Experimental Blue
    Or to really shake things up let's paint it in whatever colour the NRM wants it to be in. It's there decision but to be honest it doesn't really bother me what colour it's in so long as she's running like it's 1934 when she was at her peak and her streamlined cousins were a year away.

4. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Bright blue with Cheltenham's tender as Gordon \:D/

5. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

=;

6. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    I've got an idea.....

How about putting it in the form that allows it to haul heavy trains the easiest, and in the livery that most people i.e. Joe Public can relate to it, even if they don't go together in 'historical' context...... Oh hang on!

7. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

:-k

How abouts painting one side in BR green and the other half in LNER apple green!! \:D/ \:D/

or better still.........National Coal Board Yellow with wasps stripes on the buffer beams! - It`ll keep us industrial fans happy (you do it to our 0-6-0st Austerities. So lets do it to one of yours \:D/ )

8. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

It's a shame that the frames dictate a loco's identity. I don't know which boiler is going to be used in the latest restoration but I beleive that there is an actual A3 boiler that could be used. It was formerly used on Salmon Trout and Humorist. How about bringing the A3 back as one of these instead of as FS? Of course it must be in Brunswick Green with the German smoke deflectors.

Wasn't Humorist the A3 with the BR smoke deflectors?

9. I like that idea, what about rainbow colours so it looks like ici dulux has had a explosion in the factory

10. Anthony Coulls

=D> =D> Want my job?

11. Anthony Coulls

Who is "you"? Not the NRM for certain.

12. Anthony Coulls

When 4472 comes back it will have the A3 boiler on. As for appearing as another A3, please see the other thread where identity change is swapped. I think we have enough possible liveries for it to wear as Scotsman to ring the changes. My preference would be wartime black as NE 103 just the ring the changes... 8-[

13. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

One thing i would like to see the return of is the red backed nameplates it used to carry when it was first preserved and carried till it was returned home from it's ill fated America jolly.

14. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Pink, BR Logo, and re-named/numbered to 60108 Gay Crusader....

Yes, i know...

Shame really tho - would look fantastic!

15. dhic001

dhic001 Member

Can we just have her in single chimney form and without smoke deflectors? I know she isn't so powerful in that form, but she looks stunning like that, particularly in apple green. The smoke deflectors and double chimney do nothing for her fine lines, and this is coming from someone who puts LNEr locomotives last on the list of lovelies.
    Daniel

16. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Gay Crusader !! Ha Ha very good =D> =D>

I've always had the opinion that if the loco has to have a double chimney and smoke deflectors for better performance on the mainline then there's no two ways about it Scotsman must be in BR green and as 60103. If the deflectors and double chimney make little difference to the performance then fine Apple Green and 4472 number, but please lets not have her in that most awful hybrid condition. [-o<

17. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Flying Scotsman ran with smoke deflectors & double chimney in LNER livery before she became part of the nationl collection, so there is justification in running her like this as it is part of her history.

18. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    In reality it does not matter what colour she is. In my opinion its a shame Marchington was such an inept businessman with no sense of how to break even with a steam locomotive.

Had he not missed the point with the public ownership, the Scotsman Village etc. he might still own the loco. Had he kept Orient Express happy he might have retained the lucrative contract and had he built maintainance time into the tour schedule he would have been able to acheive operational targets.

Alas he did not, the loco went to the NRM (I'm sure even they would agree it was a rip-off for a wreck) and now a load of people are arguing about its colour.

To add in my couple of pence, its not like the tours will be too demanding - not 700 Ton VOSEs after all... So it doesnt need the souped up condition!

End of day - i dont give a Flying............... Uh, Scotsman?

19. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Very interesting Tracklayer.... and probably not a million miles away from the truth!

as for colour... I am not too bothered, it's in good hands.

20. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Why? It's the livery everyone knows about it in and it's in the best condition to be used in that livery, who cares how many rivets it has?

The fact is that it doesn't matter as the NRM will paint it in the colour scheme which will bring them the most money out of it, and I'm afraid that is LNER apple green, whether you like it or not