If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4472 NOT colour

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Anthony Coulls, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    lol, ready, time, steam locomotive, bit of string, lol

2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The HLF will not fund new build full stop - hence the GWR railmotor fund got HLF money to restore the chassis and body of the railmotor, but the new build power bogies is not HLF funded.

3. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm quite looking foward to 'The Flying Scotsman' being back again. What loco is going to haul it? ](*,)

Sorry, i have a pet-peeve about this. Ditto 'The Green Arrow' 'The Sir Nigel Gresley' etc etc etc

4. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

I see no problem at all in the principle of HLF support for a new boiler

It isn't the boiler that tours the country for education and heritage purposes but the complete loco or train of which it is merely part of the restoration.

As to from where it is procured - if you can't get one in the UK - then there is the reason for foreign procurement.

The matter of what a bunch of plonkers the HLF can be is entirely another matter - false rivets on Waverley's welded funnels, but they insisted on a rivetted hull for the Medway Queen which the MCA will not certify for navigation.

Do these idiots in suits not talk to and understand each other - obviously not!

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

There may not be an issue if the boiler is part of an overall proposal for restoration of a loco, however the original query was whether a spare boiler could be built (paid for by HLF) to be shared amongst suitable locos, thereby keeping them in traffic for longer. The spare boiler proposal to HLF would therefore not stand up as it would not be part of the restoration of a particular loco.

Boilers can be built in the UK - that has been proved with various locos, so the idea of going abroad for one and asking the HLF to send the money out of the country would be a non-starter.

Keith

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Frank,
    as 'Ghost' has said, HLF will fund a new boiler as part of an overall project. They have done it for Sir Berkeley in the last couple of years. It depends very much on how you approach things. They certainly won't entertain a spare boiler, though. The worst I had with funding boilers was with a PRISM grant. We asked for money for a new boiler and had it turned down, the reason being that they would help fund a boiler overhaul but not a new boiler. We changed our plans and applied to them for a grant towards overhauling the boiler and got turned down because they thought it would be better to build a new boiler rather than repair the old one!

I don't know why you have a downer on HLF. I have found them to be most helpful in the projects I have been involved in. I suspect (but don't know) that the suggestion of having false rivets on Waverley's funnels did not come from them but, having heard the suggeastion, they thought it a good idea. Likewise, I bet that the idea of a riveted hull on Medway Queen was not theirs but a suggestion that they latched onto. HLF guys and gals aren't into such things but they do pick up on such suggestions if they think that it is giving Joe Public heritage.

7. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Sorry but the Medway Queen fiasco is down to one obsessive in the HLF who would NOT be told or change his mind.

Work is about to start, but of course the problem won't arise until, and if, the MQPS ever get to going operational when the problem will arise for real

8. JWKB

JWKB Member

Not quite sure were to put this but suprised no one has said anything about the proposal to re fit Vacuum brakes to Scotmans

9. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    ?

Is this an actual suggestion rather than people suggesting it as previously?

Where is it reported?

10. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Latest Steam Railway reports that dual brakes will be fitted, extra cost is approximately £10k.

Regards,

Dan

11. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    fair enough....

Whilst my own fault for asking sometimes I think an embargo on discussing content until the general release date would not ruin my reading quite so much!

(And yes I do have to read it on the forum, its my job!)

12. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Well you did ask the question! #-o

Regards,

Dan

13. JWKB

JWKB Member

Or you could get a subscription ..... Dont shoot me for bearing good news!!! =;

14. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

15. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Am I alone in wanting to see Scotsman in 1924 Wembley condtion with orginal tender, 4472 (not 1472) and nameplates I know york would have to pay for a replica tender but is closer to her original condtion.

16. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

No, but I don't think it will ever happen because too much on the engine has been changed since, i.e. too expensive.

17. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

/\/\ That would be beautiful, especially with the stainless embellishments the she had.

I went to York last week, mainly to see 6229, and noticed they have hidden Scotsman's double chimney from view, they probably realised how much it upsets me. :)