If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4468 Mallard

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by 73129, Nov 5, 2008.

1. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Well if Mallard's bottom end was done well there shouldn't be much to stop her from steaming if there was a spare A4 boiler around kicking it's heels would there :-#

Only kidding

2. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

It would be nice to just see one, any one, running in garter blue with valances. It's surprising that such a significant part of their career has been consigned to a museum.

3. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I assume it's because Mr Cameron and Hoskins want their toys in the liveries they remember them! (And fair play to them!)

But I agree, would be nice to see one in garter blue with valances!

4. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I believe Jeremy leaves the decision about the world's most important matter, to those who do the work... which is nice.

5. So does that mean those who break it pay for it?

6. 60022Fan

60022Fan New Member

I find this thread really interesting.

Was at the museum on Wednesday and got chance to be on the footplate of Mallard. Great to be there. I'm one of those fans who much prefers any loco in a livery other than BR! That's just because it is either Green or black. Thank goodness Sir Nigel Gresley is in blue. But to me not the correct type, nor does it have the letters LNER down the side either!

I just feel that there is more to our railway history than remembering the 1948-68 period. True, majority of people only remember this time but it is great to be able to see other liveries being applied to other engines running or static. At least these give some idea and indication as to what they looked like in their hey day.

I was so pleased to see Royal Scot in red at Llangollen on the first and last days of the gala so i not only got picturesof it in red, but also with and without the deflectors. I totally understand and realise that it is also sporting a livery that- Heavens Above!- is inaccurate to the shape of said loco but it does make a nice change. Leander, 'Lizzie' and Duchess of Sutherland are also engines that i do like to see as they sport a pre-grouping livery.
    And i also agree that all locos, not only at York but elsewhere should all be in working order but as that would cost billions, it is, i am said to say, not viable.
    As for Lode Star, that loco was actually taken apart for the removal of the asbestos boiler cladding. I remember going on a behind the scenes tour at York and was told the story of how the removal was done to try and preserve the quality of Swindon's work. But doesn't that mean it was damage limitation and that the Swindon work has been desecrated? Also saving a paint job won't be much use in 50 years time when the second generation to myself comes along and asks his/her grandad why they don't steam the loco when, as it has done nothing in preservation, it will be less worn out than many others. Plus the paint will of faded and become dirty even in an environment which they do their very best to keep clean for the sake of the artifacts. They want pristine conditions then it needs an air tight box!
    I'd love to see 1000 the Midland Compound running as i was only about 2 or 3 when that came off the main line. I missed it. I didn't really get chance to chase Mallard during 1986-88 period either although i have been told that i have seen it running. With no pictures to evoke lovely memories it is one that i have forgotten about due to youth.
    Maybe now isn't the time to run Mallard with the other 3 A4s out in action. But some would say otherwise. Part of me thinks why not? For it to steam when others are coming out of action would be a good piece of timing and could also pull in a few pounds for all four engines. King's Cross to Edinburgh with four A4s?
    I'd somehow find the money!
    But with Duchess of Hamilton in her dress and lowered to 13 foot, should the light not fall on the two stars of York? (Sorry Green Arrow. Should be 3 but you're naked!) The chance to run a West Coast and East Coast streamlined locos on railtours? Wouldn't that set the mouth watering? I'd be foaming! In this day and age of everything streamlining and being ecenomical etc, it would do some good to be able to go back and see two legends of the 1930s running as built, showing everyone that, really, streamlining hasn't changed all that much over the years.
    One of the guides said that Mallard is in 1938 original condition and that if someone waved £2m it wouldn't steam. Rubbish. I bet there are many pieces of that loco stamped with various classmates numbers on. That's how they kept them going throughout there lives. Even the tender isn't the exact same one it left Doncaster with back in March 1938. ](*,)
    That isn't to say i'm knocking the historic importance of the engine. Far from it as it is my favourite loco by far. I just feel that the NRM seem to be able to make excuses up a little too easy. I mean, even Flying Scotsman they haven't done particularly well with. It is still in bits in the work shop. I feel they need a bit of spring cleaning through the doors and sweep away the more pessimistic attitude that seems to prevail. After all we should be proud of our railway history and try and get people's attention by getting in their face (in a nice way!) and you can only do that by having an engine that works, breathes fire and snorts smoke and steam.

On the note of being excited by engines being returned to steam then forgot about, it is a shame that this does happen but i'd place a portion of the blame towards the media for this. Engine needs saving or restoring to working order. Appeal gets placed. Big name gets on board on it is all systems go. Engine gets restored, runs several big tours and then you start to notice that column inches start to shrink as other things are brought to attention. City of Truro may be one to fall into that category but to me, at Llangollen, it really was the big namer and I'm not even a GWR fan! But Truro was fab to see. So too was the 'Dukedog' 9017. The big surprise for me was Morayshire! If ever you could be done for stalking a steam engine...! :-#
    I loved that engine and yet the only thing i remember reading about that loco is when it visited the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway and, or course, Llangollen. That is one engine i'd love to follow more. As for the Super D, where is it? I never got a chance to see that run as i was away. Now you don't even hear of it.
    One other thing before i end my mad ramblings at this late hour. I'm so pleased that we are seeing many groups, societys and trusts doing what should of been done back in the 1950s and 60s, building locos of types that have been scrapped for all to see and hear run. It will be great when they are complete. I just wish we could run more of what we did save too.

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Maybe someone could ask Hornby to send an extra big 00 gauge box to put her in. That may keep her in pristine condition.
    :-# :-# :-# :-#