If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4464 - Western Streak - 18-10-14

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by LMarsh1987, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There's a bit of a difference between an A4 and a Jubilee - two power classes higher and a nominal extra 9,000lbs TE - so given the right conditions I reckon an A4 could shift 8. Ben stated that the 47 was doing little more than moving its own weight so 4464 was could well have been hauling the equivalent of 8 anyway.

2. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, that's what iv'e been told. Must of been a smoky departure from the 57 then ?

3. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

The fire alarms are most definitely in the tunnels. Also, there is so much moisture in the tunnels at both ends that anything could slip, so with that in mind, it is prudent to have a bit of insurance in the form of a 47!

Spamcan81 likes this.
  4. Peter29

Peter29 New Member

I think some people on here are missing one very important point - it's the middle of the leaf fall season! It would be completely irresponsible of any operator and NR (to allow it) to permit steam hauled trains without some form of assistance being available over these busy routes at this time of year. Only 24 hours earlier, the Cotswold line and GWML come to that were like a skid pan - trains gingerly sliding into stations and struggling to get going. What a loco is capable of at other times of the year is not relevant. You don't know at the planning stage if conditions are going to be like that on the day because of the weather. Looks like another professionally delivered and succesful tour to me with plenty of entertainment for the passengers!

maureen and OldGit like this.