If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

3'6" Gauge in the UK

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by D6332found, May 13, 2018.

1. The Saggin' Dragon

The Saggin' Dragon Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The axle loading of the likes of GMAM Garratts is pretty low; in the order of 15t 7cwt.

JayDee likes this.
  2. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Active Member

There is one 3'6" QR Beyer-Garratt remaining in preservation. No. 1009. 4-8-2+2-8-4, 136t. The axle loading should be OK as QR was built to 16t if IIRC. And no, you probably can't have that one....(but I sure do wish they would fix it!)

But, damn....:mad:

"French-built sister No.1096 was the last of the class in traffic, featuring on occasional rail enthusiast tour trains. Unfortunately it suffered a hot axle box and was subsequently scrapped at Banyo in 1973; the loss of this engine after such a trivial fault seems tragic in retrospect, but at that time the Queensland Railways had a significant number of withdrawn steam locomotives in storage and awaiting scrapping."

3. Muzza

Muzza New Member

As a youngster, I was on an excursion with 1096 when it failed - it might have been the last one. A very sad decision to have her cut up. B18 1/4 No. 843 was also disposed of around this time.

3'6" ? There is quite a bit of it around here.

Copper-capped likes this.
  4. Allegheny

Allegheny Member

I had another look at the Wath line. In Worsborough there was a level crossing with the A61, which would be a snag, and the Penistone to Silkstone Common section is still used by Network Rail as part of the Penistone to Barnsley line. However the section between Silkstone Common and Worsborough Country park is now a cycle track and doesn't seem to have any problems. It includes the section where 2395 spend a lot of its life, and also includes an overbridge over the M1.
    It is about 6km long (3.75 miles) with an increase of elevation of about 100 metres from Worsborough up to Silkstone.

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Active Member

Spread over 8 axles. It’s the bridges you need to worry about, not the track. But it’s no worse than double heading some of our existing preserved classes.

And as for the dodgy Midland axle boxes, nobody would notice if you beefed them up a bit for a replica.

Personally I’d be more interested in the LNER version, but anyway, never mind.

The whole 3’6” gauge thing sounds like a solution looking for a problem, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Part of the furniture Friend

Layabout
    I'm sure donations towards the restoration of their existing foreign locos would be most welcome: I believe Tinkerbell (a Danish 'F' class 0-6-0T) is due to return to running order soon.

7. Allegheny

Allegheny Member

Did the 3'6" thing relate to availability of locomotives and stock from South Africa? Otherwise we might get accused of being "big chufferites".

8. MellishR

MellishR Part of the furniture Friend

Partly that, but also WIBN to have running in Britain some British-built locos that are big but very different from anything running at present.

Allegheny likes this.
  9. D6332found

D6332found New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've created a Facebook WIBN page, but only 10000 members pledging donations would get the Garratt on the ground, so its interest at the moment, and probably forever. Remember the last working one is still running- the last steam elephant! https://www.facebook.com/groups/618128735211128/

10. Forestpines

Forestpines Active Member

You might like to know that "WIBN" normally is used to mean "wouldn't it be nice" on here, not the phrase you have on your page.

D6332found likes this.
  11. D6332found

D6332found New Member

Sorry have modified. Has my FB theories on the origins of why 3'6" was formed- ditto 4'8" ish. Roman chariots and narrowboat width!