If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028 Clan Line

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Big Al, Mar 2, 2016.

1. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    i read somewhere that MNLPS are sticking with DBC, after the situation of the loco in steam, FTR'd and a DBC crew enroute, only for someone in West coast to throw his toys out of the pram, saying no you cant use that with my coaches, i can't see 35028 working on anything that has west coast providing the crews. i just hope that DBC dont give up on steam, and that if they do, the 2 new toc's do keep on friendly terms with the owners of clan line.

2. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Richard Corser of DBC ( ex Locomotive Services but still involved with 6024) stated in an interview in one of the magazines, that they wanted to increase the number of steam tours they do.

4. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Regardless of that incident why would they want to change? DBC have already said they are committed to expanding the steam operation.

5. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

"That incident" will be the single biggest motivator to those seeking to change the steam charter sector in the near future.

6. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

I don't think so, the WCRC individual concerned has now taken a bit of backseat when it comes to day to day running and there is no other TOC with the resources to run anywhere near the number of tours they do.

7. 26D_M

I defer to your greater insight of the contemporary workings of the business.
    The only point I would make is that it is unwise to assume that recent arrangements offer much guide to the future.

8. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

I don't have any insight apart from what is generally known but we have two operators now applying to become TOCs who may have to hire in footplate crew from WC and DBS again with limited resource. Whatever you think of WCRC personally it is them we have to thank for the present volume of Mainline steam.

sycamore likes this.
  9. 26D_M

Would not disagree but perhaps the future is in quality rather than quantity.

Seagullman likes this.
  10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

There are a number of reasons why the MNLPS originally chose what was then EWS and now DBC as the TOC that would operate Clan Line. Even through my occasional contact, it is clear that a level of cooperation and embedding of operational practices have taken place over the years that is second to none. And with it a certain trust that strengthened further after lessons were learned by DBC from the 'dropped plugs' incident at Earley.

Given all the above, it is hard to see why the MNLPS would willingly choose to work with another TOC. On the face of it, assuming that British Pullman activities continue, this, together with slightly more mainstream charters should be easily manageable by DBC and the ongoing close familiarity of their crews with the locomotive can only be good for everyone.

This is just an opinion.

mike1522 likes this.
  11. Big Al

Latest update on the reassembly of Clan Line is at:
    http://www.clan-line.org.uk/news/crewe-overhaul-update-17

There are images of the new middle big end bearing and also progress with the installation of boiler tubes that is on temporary hold for the insertion of the main steam pipe.

green five and Martin Perry like this.
  12. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Seems to have made a lot of progress since I received my last copy of Southern Express. I'm also a member of the A1 Steam Trust and I'm sure they will miss the income from the Belmond Pullman work but the only correct locomotive at the head of a set of Pullmans on the Southern is a Bulleid Pacific. Does anyone know why it no longer carries the Golden Arrow regalia as it did in the earlier days of the Pullman?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  13. Big Al

If you are asking why it doesn't carry the regalia any more, I don't know but would guess that it's probably not seen as appropriate especially as it doesn't run the line to Dover any more.

14. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Yes, sorry I missed out a word now corrected, I'm sure it used to carry it on the Surrey circuit too.

15. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    UKRT/HRT is planning a Golden Arrow recreation one Wednesday in September. Full details not available until February but that could be a good chance of seeing 35028 with the regalia.

16. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

So excited that 2017 is here. Clan Line is one of those locomotives that stirs excitement when she hits the rails.

17. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I think that for those of us living south of London who want a 100% steam trip on the main line without having to travel too far to board the train, the return of Clan Line offers us the best hope of a fulfilling day out. With the number of steam-hauled BP trains seeming to be reduced (although goodness knows why - £400+ is an awful lot of money to spend on Class 67 haulage :)), a regular 4-5 jaunts each year around parts of Southern England with a rake of Mk I stock would, I am sure, be well patronised. Along with the Riley Fives and the Tyseley fleet, Clan Line ranks right at the very top of the league of consistent and reliable main line performers. I'm sure I can speak for many others in saying that all my runs behind 35028 have been real gold standard performances.

26D_M likes this.
  18. Big Al

I am biased, of course, but you are right about the quality of what you get when she is out and about. That expectation is perhaps somewhat unfair on the loco, support team and crew as when she just 'does the job' a few folk can get a bit miffed that on the day nothing stellar was produced. A lot has to do with the familiarity of the crew with the loco - that is strong amongst the DBC folk - and, of course, the confidence that they have that the loco will go the extra mile if asked.

I think that we are in the era now where what I would call the 'feats of strength' should be seen as rare rather than an expectation. Little is gained by pushing a loco to the limit just for an extra few mph uphill. Good for the record book but not always good for the loco. That said, I still savour two amazing runs up to Savernake eastbound. One was with 530 tons of pullmans in April 1999, returning from Bath when Clan Line picked up the train at Westbury with the incentive of a 15 late departure. Speed at the top was an amazing 78 mph after touching 80 at Wootton Rivers. A year later on the Salisbury Spire Express with 30 or so tons less, again, starting out of Westbury we went over the top at 79, having touched 83 after Woodborough. The running time from Westbury to pass Savernake was inside even time on that trip.

I don't imagine anything like that will be on the menu for 28 when she returns but that's not to say she won't continue to please, or I hope that's the case.

Seagullman and 26D_M like this.
  19. Big Al

A blatant bit of publicity to remind everyone that all things being equal, Clan Line will be in and out of Waterloo on July 9th. So if you've not contributed to her overhaul yet then please do so and then travel on the UKRT trip on that date and spend plenty of money with MNLPS sales.

Ta.

20. Big Al

Latest information about Clan Line can be found at: http://www.clan-line.org.uk/news/crewe-overhaul-update-18

A view of the boiler, now complete with all its flues and tubes, shows that it will not be all that long now before it is reunited with its frames. Early steps in the fine tuning of the locomotive are also taking place such as valve setting. There is also an interesting view of the middle engine that is normally not quite as accessible as it is at present.

ragl likes this.