If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35018 British India Line

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34014, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

An interesting spin, but Riley & Son do have ready access to East Lancs Railway and they have made good use of it, particularly with the Show Pony....

2. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Maybe they have learned from the "challenging" introduction they had with 46115?

andalfi1 likes this.
  3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

If so there may be number of further proving runs?

4. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Quite possibly. I've a bit if work in that area at the moment so will keep an eye on RTT

5. 26D_M

That was certainly true. I suspect proving trial for a Riley project would be more intensive too though, once the first moves under own power had taken place. It was certainly the case with 34067 which was a comparable restoration. ELR benefited from using the running in for crew training as well.
    Both 71000 and 6201 did a lot of post overhaul mileage accumulation as well as higher speed and spark arrestor trials on ELR metals.

6. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But at the time Riley's had a works connected to a 12 mile test track, so in that respect it's a little bit easier to light a fire in something then send it off light engine to Rawtenstall or even have it shuttle between Castleton and Heywood without getting in the way of things, but at the end of the day West Coast will do things their way and I've no objection to that. BIL is nearly at the end of a long road, what is the point of rushing it back into traffic? If your going to do a job, do it right, do it well. And make damn well sure you've covered your arse just in case something does go wrong!

Copper-capped and RalphW like this.
  7. 26D_M

Proximity certainly helps but others have focused on the operational barriers too.
    Ultimately you would expect that the management of a project is totally focused on achieving a successful outcome and taking all reasonable steps to accomplish that. Nobody would expect a job to be rushed, simply methodically and meticulously conducted in a way gives the best chance of achieving the objective of a high performing, reliable machine. Some will say, no doubt, it is not for bystanders such as me to have, and voice, opinions on the matter. Maybe so but that is the purpose of the forum and as a potential customer hoping for a ride behind 35018 in due course we do have a vested interest in it being a good un, just like 46115 became.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If there's one thing I've learnt about returning a loco to traffic it's "don't rush things" and that would seem to be WCRC's approach to 35018. Entirely sensible IMO.

9. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Is that a fact ?? or just your speculating. If you've got direct access to the workings and what's going on inside Carnforth you're just the fella we need on here because factual info. from the place is as rare as hens teeth.

jnc likes this.
  10. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

DM is a mole? I though Penfold was the mole?!!

11. 26D_M

Reported by @Oswald T Wistle in Dalesman thread on the basis of a chat with WC crew apparently.

12. Victor

Retired
    Are you saying that Carnforth are NOT focussed on a successful outcome for this project ?? From where I'm sitting it seems like Carnforth are VERY focused on getting BIL 100% right. They are not going to be rushed because people such as yourself have got the hump with the way they do things
    And 46115 ?? it took quite some time to get a bit of decent reliability into it for it to become a fine machine, I feel sure Carnforth want BIL to be spot on and avoid the issues they had with the Scot.

13. 26D_M

@Victor seems to have got out of bed the wrong side this morning |-O
    From very much the outside it is not possible to discern any real difference in the approach used with 46115 or 45699 for that matter in the way 35018 is being proved. As others have said WC is now very experienced so time will tell.

14. Victor

Retired
    It certainly isn't impossible if you've got a magic money tree to attend to costs. Sadly magic money trees don't exist.
    As for getting out of bed...........not really, I'm my usual cheery self but your endless droning on about the way Carnforth run their business makes going back to bed seem very attractive.

15. Copper-capped

Does this mean you are done and will never mention it again?

16. 26D_M

Unless somebody mentions or responds to a previous post I made, I would expect so. Lets see who blinks first ;-)

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  17. 26D_M

There seems to be two conflicting perceptions of WC. Some regard them as a fully fledged commercial venture with the resources to acheive whatever is required whilst others seem to look on them as a quasi volunteer based venture similar to other heritage railway outfits.
    Personally I think if the management at WC have a will to do something they have the means to accomplish it.
    As for droning, well it seems whatever the topic, WC or otherwise, there is always some moaner on hand to chastise your opinion without venturing too much by way of decent counter argument.

18. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    You did :)

Tom

MellishR, 60017, RalphW and 4 others like this.
  19. Copper-capped

There was an awesome 7 minutes of non-speculation there....

20. 26D_M

Sorry, my posts uploaded out of sequence. The response to @Victor was supposed to precede the one to you :)
    Can we restart the game on account of the false start please? :-SS