If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35018 British India Line

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 34014, Sep 23, 2014.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So a second test run required, the rusty kit of parts has thrown up problems, more testing is needed, why does this appear to change the approach to running in arrangements. Why can you not accept that WCR are happy to use the Hellifield run on a 60mph line, rather than the hassle of getting to a heritage line and be restricted to 25 and be miles away from your base if problems arise.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Because he's probably never overhauled a loco in his life so unaware of all the problems involved.

3. Spamcan81

Training moles
    But the crews are booked for tours or did you miss that point?

4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Its very unusual for an engine to require a second loaded test run unless something fails on the first one, and that doesnt seem to be the case, that the valve events appear to have been not quite right, and need tweeking ,lets hope the next test run shows they have got it right, one question pops up,in my mind, would WC when restoring BIL have used parts off Bodmin than having new bits made, or if new are they the right parts in the first place, for instance if the valve gear fitted is meant for a Light rebuilt , would the valve events be correct? are those bits the same between the classes?

5. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Valve heads are unique to the rebuilt MNs and are made to suit the diameters of the liners.

6. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

I really wish you would read my posts in more detail before launching attack mode.
    If you did, you would note that I have said on more than one occasion owners make their own choices and WC in particular seems content with how it does things.
    Does it mean we are therefore barred from speculating on the merits of alternative modes?

7. 26D_M

Maybe not, but an informed personal opinion is that less than 1000 miles of running in is not a huge amount for a project of this nature.

8. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    I think WC have enough engineering expertise to know what they are doing and I believe they work closely with Riley & Sons who certainly do.

9. 26D_M

Personal opinion again but I do not think WC has many traits in common with the Riley approach. I am confident that a project under Riley influence would have been complete and proven well before now so I deduce WC does things its own way, which is totally their right.

10. 26D_M

In general those that are not open to change have no hope of improvement and those that see no reason to improve are deluding only themselves.
    In the context of this topic, the need for a second LTR was unexpected so the original strategy to pass first timed was unsuccesful. Even if you Ralph think nothing else need be considered, you can bet your bottom dollar those involved with the project will be reviewing their approach.

11. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

i was thinking more like length of combination levers etc something that would look correct, but in use may show up not quite right timing, we know Clan lines is right, its original, for instance, i'm assuming BIL had a set of blanks of motion, .that had to be machined

12. 26D_M

Many of the folk that work for WC are also footplate staff / managers at various major heritage lines so connections exist already,

13. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Provided the 8F stays healthy, the one date that looks tight is indeed 30/9 because there is both the Lune Rivers and a CCE with a run over Shap that day and 46233 needs to be elsewhere on 1 Oct.

Will 35018 be in gauge for the run around the Cumbrian Coast? Doubtful I imagine.

14. Spamcan81

Training moles
    And here's me thinking they took expert advice from some members of this forum. :D

60017, michaelh, RalphW and 2 others like this.
  15. 26D_M

You just keep thinking Spamalot, its what you're good at.
    Hit the nail on the head with that one though, inadvertently I guess. Whatever gets said on NP has zero impact on what happens unless somebody chooses to be influenced by it. Has anything on NP ever affected how you manage '81? No, so why get in a lather about what folk whitter concerning MN 18?

16. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Because it's you that's wittering and it's boring!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    60017, michaelh and Copper-capped like this.
  17. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Not getting into a lather at all. Just enjoy challenge the drivel you write when there's not a lot on the telly. The pub is now calling so I'll toddle off and leave you to put right the world of WCRC test runs.

Johnb, weltrol and sycamore like this.
  18. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

My view, is I would much rather see a proven performer, after as many test runs as is required, rather than a rush job being thrown onto a tour and failing.

And, I would think this is behind WCRC's decision for more testing, lets remember its first fare paying run for the right reasons, instead of being rescued.

On that note, it looks like they have learned, and are not rushing it, and need commending for that.

GWR4707, Victor, RalphW and 8 others like this.
  19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Plenty of NYMR volunteers work for WCRC so, on the face of it, it would be relatively easy to use this railway for running in. However, where are there any available paths during the day? Using evenings would mean bringing on at least three extra signalmen which both don't exist and would entail extra costs. It aint as easy as you seem to think.

Paul42 likes this.
  20. 26D_M

I certainly do not underestimate the complexities involved having been involved to some extent with organising such things on another line in the past. It is not by any means impossible, however.
    My only point has been to wonder whether such an arrangement would have been beneficial in this case, just as it has been for other major projects at the same stage before. Not presuming to tell WC how to do it but simply curious as to whether it has been considered.