If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34067: Cathedrals Express on 14th June

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by KentYeti, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well treed in so not ideal for photography of any kind. I did sound and she did sound good.

2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

The road bridge at the station is probably the only location, (but with road noise and of course chatter from the locals who turn out to watch), or maybe the footbridge just a bit further East.

Looking at Winkworths book I see that a "run of note" in 1956 with 34070 and the great Sammy Gingell went over the top at 39 mph as well. After 35 around the curves at Rochester. But 34070 had 360 tons. Tangy had circa 500 tons on Sunday!

Sammy didn't have a 75 mph speed limit, (in fact the way he drove I doubt he ever considered any speeds limits applied to him!), and he went on to reach 90 mph at Farningham Road.

3. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I think it's the Winkworth book that logs a run with 34081 at 92 mph. Sam Gingell at the regulator too IIRC.

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yes indeed! 92 mph at Teynham on the 4.46 pm ex Cannon Street. 9 cars for 325 tons. Had been delayed quite badly before hand.

Pretty good that. I seem to remember the CEPs had to go hard to get 90 in the Teynham dip.

Oops. It was only the novelty of the CEPs that made me get my stop watches out for them. And I was young at the time and didn't know any better.

On the same run with Sammy it must have been nice standing by a window in the front coach as 34081 went from 21 at St Mary Cray Junction, (I once got chased by a horse in a field there), to 64 through St Mary Cray circa 2 minutes later!

5. Spamcan81

Training moles

I wouldn't mind whipping '92' up to 92 again but I doubt the NNR's quite long enough for that. :smt001

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I'm booked behind 34067 to Exeter on 5th July so looking forward to some fireworks on the South Western.

7. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Anyone know why she is so good in term of reliability and performance? Is it just the fact the the drivers are willing to "have a go" with her more than the other pacifics out there on the main line.

8. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Lots of TLC lavished on her will certainly help with reliability and the original Light Pacifics were capable of some truly great performances in the right hands. Evidence the 1948 exchange trials for one.

9. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Pete Roberts was driving on the return.