If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34051 Winston Churchill

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by green five, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Railcar22

Railcar22 Member

Stock Control
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We did as near as we could to a full works overhaul to Evening star in 1982, including a full repaint. This brought her up to main running standard. If you look at the tender you will see a DID 1982 repaint

2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Slightly off topic but as regards 92220 wasn't Evening Star still owned by BRB(?) until 1975?

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Dies this mean there's a chance that 1008 might get a proper chimney? And, following on, will it have steamed by the time you retire? Hope against hope, I guess.......

std tank likes this.
  4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I have great respect for Anthony and hate to argue with him, but that isn't altogether logical. What is the advantage of "replacing with the real thing" complete with innards rather than replacing only the outer casing? The innards aren't available for study, being hidden away inside. And you're not assembling new information, when the drawings for making the innards were presumably already available.

It might indeed be good for visitors to be able to see the construction of a whistle or an injector, but a sectioned one on display on its own would be better for that.

A 3D print of a complete loco would be ridiculous, I agree, but a 3D print of a component that will only ever be looked at by visitors, never handled or taken apart, would seem to be adequate. Even Mallard's wooden valances when she was at Clapham were good enough for most purposes, though anyone tapping them might have been surprised at the sound.

On the other hand -- I do agree that putting 6229 into full working order to run on the main line would be better use of resources than doing the same for one more Bulleid.

Edit -- come to think of it, the museum already has loads of scale models of things that no longer exist. Would a full size 3D print be better or worse than a 1:N scale model?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  5. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

If they were to replace them with dummy parts, you'd have people complaining that it wasn't proper preservation or looking after exhibits and was just 'faking it'....

6. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Out of interest, are the new bits being made going on to 34051 or will the originals that were borrowed for Ellerman be taken off 35029 and replaced with the new ones? Not sure what all the components are, but do they have any uniqueness themselves?

7. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    The most sensible course of action would surely be to arrange for original , genuine components in use on an active locomotive that are perhaps worse for wear to be sold to this Project 34051 so that money can be put towards new and theoretically more reliable components for that active locomotive, perhaps this may occur at a later date when such a need arises.

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

One magazine has suggested that at least one important part of 34051 is/were running about on a preserved bullied pacific... I presume the part would be either sold/returned, if the magazine was correct ?

It's listed on this tour here, though the part named differed I recall from the magazine..
    http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/10s/110722rt.htm

9. geekfindergeneral

geekfindergeneral Member

Railwayman
    You don't walk into the NRM and attack an exhibit with spanners, even if your train is a failure. The request for help would have been formal - either via the TOC Control to the NRM duty officer or from JB (or whoever was RO on Tangmere) to Helen, Neither of them would have been in a hurry to embarrass the other for the sake of a part.

10. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Does anyone know exactly what part was borrowed?

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

depends which source you read.
    though one of them was visibly missing when I photographed it at the MHR when it first arrived.. (make of that what you will).

12. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

But a brand new whistle is a fake. :eek:

13. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

It's a real functioning object though isn't it? And to those of you who suggested we use old worn parts, or parts with no innards. Been there. None available, hence the need to make new ones. Why shouldn't we make something proper to replace something that isn't there? Someone please tell me the bits we took off 34051 for 35029 as well... I know where 34051's AWS ended up, cos I took it off under a previous regime.

Do also be aware that just because something was done in 1979, the museum isn't the same now...

14. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

As can be seen from the attached video, it always amazes me how much was missing from an original BR withdrawn engine. Did the drivers window go to Ellerman Lines? if so does she still have an incorrect wooden window not full Brass as a Merchant Navy should have?

Can anyone tell me why there are several metal (rusty patches on her) in York, was this where something was removed or repaired?

15. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

I saw Ollie on Saturday, whilst trekking up the line - stopped in to see how far he'd got, and told him what you'd said lol!.......... :eek:

He and the gang are also looking forward to the unveiling :) . he also told me about his encounter with Paxo! ;)

Boy, how I wish I could help him out.......... :( and she is beginning to look the "mutts"! :)

16. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Anthony, Im totally with you on this and slightly annoyed by some of the above comments as you say its a real functioning component so in that case then does this make 45699, 6023 or 71000 'fake' then? Im slightly bewildered by what some people seem to want, if we want 'live' steam then new parts are part and parcel (forgive the pun). But to knock the NRM for trying to right previous wrongs by making new parts is a little below the belt. 34051 might not steam in my lifetime, but its nice to know that some people are thinking of its future and so that maybe my Children or my Childrens Children might have a chance of seeing it steam.

Hurricane and gwalkeriow like this.
  17. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

I think the perceived problem is that you are spending a lot of time and money making brand new working parts which will never be used in anger. Sale of those parts to a loco owner who needs new bits and can hand back the old worn parts makes so much more sense to those out here who try to keep old locos running. You say you tried but couldn't find such a situation - fair enough, but please remember most people in the heritage movement see new parts as worth their weight in gold.

18. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

You can't say that they will never be used in anger...and neither can I.

The essence of our project is to get a concourse condition 34051. That's what will result, funded by the Friends of the NRM South, new parts and all.

As for "those out here who try to keep old locos running", we're in that game too!

19. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Anthony have you ever thought of an easier job? Working for the U.N. as a Middle East envoy maybe...? ;-)

MuzTrem and Bean-counter like this.
  20. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Anthony, all i have to say is this, if any owner of a Bulleid keeps you chatting once Winston is back at york, just ensure you check them for loco parts as they leave:) now these new parts, look at them very carefully;) you might just make out 34105 stamped on them crossed out with 34051 on top :) ,or are you hoping that someone gets confused and you end up getting an overhauled 34105 instead turn up at York :eek: not my fault gov, they all look alike to me :oops: