If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34046 - The Welsh Borders - 17/05/14

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by LMarsh1987, May 12, 2014.

1. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

And here is said video....

MikeParkin65 and pilotdriverswn like this.
  2. D1059

D1059 Member

Very nice. Braunton certainly makes a impressive noise.

STEVE

KristianGWR likes this.
  3. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

Thank you :) She seemed to get louder throughout the day! :p

4. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Superb filming as usual. Good to see you at Frampton Mansell. <BJ>

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the stills and videos, everyone. Like Big Al, I was on this trip and it was a most impressive performance by Braunton. The Section between Worcester and the outskirts of Newport was for me the highlight of the day. Some one seems to have forgotten to have told Braunton about the 1 in 100 of Llanvihangel! Yes, as Al said , speed did fall away but not by much. Sapperton was also dismissed in superb style.

I hope that RTC make this a regular fixture. This trip ticks all the right boxes - an interesting destination, superb scenery (especially the Golden Valley and the Malvern-Hereford- Abergavenny section) and a good chance for the loco to show its paces, with plenty of hill-climbing and fast running. The GWR semaphore signals in the Worcester/Malvern area are also a most delightful feature.

It's a shame that more appropriate motive power for the route isn't possible. Being a Southern man at heart, I personally have absolutely no complaints about a fine run behind a rebuild Bulleid clearly in top form! However, I do gather (I think it was Bob Meanley who posted to this effect) that tight platform clearances at Malvern Link preclude anything with a copper cap from running between Worcester and Hereford, which is a pity, as a Castle on this section would be rather fun.

If RTC were to make a regular feature, as I hpe they will, there are two improvements that need to be made. Firstly, the hour-long stop outside Oxford needs to be reviewed. It did get rather tedious. We were then stuck behind a Great-Malvern bound Class 165 which stopped at the main stations on the Cotswold line and we kept catching it up. Worse still (and Big Al mentions this on the RTC thread) was the crawling after Maindee East Junction. There really was no excuse for this. We were held for ages outside Severn Tunnel Junction after having left the Magor water stop early and nothing passed us for ages. A bit of initiative by the signalmen concerned could have had the train back in Bristol by the time we finally arrived at STJ.

Still, these moans don't detract from what was otherwise an excellent day out. Thanks to all involved.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    spicer21 and Big Al like this.
  6. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

I'll second that on both counts Kris and good to see you again F2G.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just to echo John's comments about this particular route lending itself well to a repeat. I know that a seaside destination has a lot to commend it, but as I said earlier you really would be hard pushed to find a route with better scenery and also interest for the enthusiast in respect of loco performance. I know that it's easy to run a repeat itinerary and times and Saturday's trip looked suspiciously like the timings of Tangmere last year. But now that Network Rail has the path on their system, I honestly think that with a bit of forward planning and renegotiation it would be possible to improve it by reducing the mid route layover at Oxford in particular and thereby shorten the day.

Most people seem to have started from Bristol so I'm sure they would appreciate a start at a more hospitable time that 0710 in future. Nevertheless, well done to the RTC for planning the route.

spicer21 likes this.
  8. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

Thank you, squires :) Yes, good to see you both again.

9. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Very enjoyable and a loco looking it's best in a very green and pleasant looking land. Thanks for letting us see it.

10. blunder

blunder New Member

According to my GPS it was 261 miles. I did have to convert the Bristol to Worcester section from km to miles so could a little out. Reset it to miles for the return leg.

11. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Last year's was around 323 miles including the return via Gloucester, but it was a bit of a mission after the blow-ups, and the departure of the last train from Bristol to Cardiff meant that I had to bail out at Parkway. It was a cracking day out, though, and 34067 certainly showed Sapperton what could be done. It seems you were blessed with similar weather to last year, too.

12. iswise

iswise Member

Finally got around to uploading my two efforts at Sapperton (yes its that foot crossing again ) and south of Kemble. I have had to edit the soundtrack a little as she heads away in the latter clip to remove a very loud expletive volley from another "gricer" who's camera sadly failed to operate.... Thanks to everyone for posting such good stuff already.

KentYeti likes this.
  13. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I was at Wickwar tunnel, to the north of Bristol, for both outward runs. I can assure you that compared to the run on
    Saturday, the weather last year was very damp as the train set off from Bristol. The rest of the day was superb. <BJ>

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Both good clips, one of them of particular interest as being at just the point where redoubling has reached, and showing the new concrete piling retaining the side of the cutting.

15. iswise

iswise Member

Thanks.
    Yes - its one of those "caught in time" clips and I had similar thoughts on arriving at the spot - somewhat breathless after the dash along the lanes from Sapperton ;)

16. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

How random is Network Rails maintenance of the infrastructure that locos fit one month but mot the next (think A4s at Carlisle) and a GWR loco can't fit through a simple double track station on a line they used to frequent daily? Is there any advantage in making clearances tighter than they used to be or is it just less adherence to previous standards?

17. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

It's a complex issue - I'd suggest reading the following Rail Engineer article, Predictive and Probalistic Gauging, which should help give an overview.

Chris

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Big Al likes this.
  18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  19. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

A little something I've cobbled together from one of my clips of this run....