If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

31806 and possible mainline use

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by martin1656, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think I have said this before and I suspect it will need saying again - the Swanage has passed 31806 and 6 carriages for the specific purpose of achieving its objective of running to and from Wareham.

They are not in the business of 'taking their eyes off their own ball' to run wider on the network (as I believe others have done in the past), whatever those enthusiasts for whom mainline steam is the only 'proper' steam may think or wish.

Steven

2. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

It is a nice thought and we all know anything is often possible in the heritage movement. However it would come with some large hurdles to overcome, and here are just a few of my random initial thoughts.
    1) 31806 is I believe a vacuum only loco, so presumably would have to be a WCRC operation, and we know that they are desperately short of stem drivers in the south, even more so now than when they told VT the could not crew their trains.
    2) I understand the mainline Swanage set is that which was Set B in the gala and is all standard class so no opportunity for anything more than a basic offering and not sure if includes a buffet or not.
    3) You would need to go "somewhere" I would suggest rather than just a train ride as people in Dorset can do that either on the Swanage railway or on a Bournemouth Weymouth trip in the summer if they want a mainline experience. So where would be attractive, Bath and Bristol maybe but becomes a long day, Salisbury not really only a couple of buses away for those in Dorset. London more attractive but again a long day and loco probably too slow for a path at the London end.
    4) A five or even six coach train I assume incurs the same NR fees but you have to spread those over approx only 275 ish passengers, so fares become high and then only for a standard class seat. You will also probably need to T/T with the 33 or do a lot of tender first running so more cost probably.
    5) Who would promote it Swanage Railway, could they afford the losses if it ran at a loss and what would the members think?

I am sure they are many more significant issues, but as I said never say never.

Mogul likes this.
  3. Mogul

Mogul Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Main line certification for a coach depends more on current condition than historical usage. The immediate goal is to run to Wareham, a distance of 1.4 miles over the main line and 20 min drive by road from the engineering base. We are not anticipating an immediate need for a support coach.

Mainline use further afield is initially likely to be occasional use as an assisting loco on local charters headlined by others. for Example attaching to the rear of a down train to Weymouth and piloting it back to Eastleigh where upon the headlining loco could turn and take the lead the rest of the way home. In this scenario the support could be shared with the headline loco.

As stated above, Vac only so limited compatibility.

For the longer term future I would like to imagine that there might be a summer weekend market for tourist day trips connecting places like New Forrest, Weymouth, Bournemouth, Salisbury and of course Swanage. Not all in one trip of course but given the population of the area and the popularity of the above as tourist destinations there must be a market to be found here somewhere.

Some basics to cement first however.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

In a WIBN moment. If the proposed turntable at Weymouth was ever realised, Weymouth/ Yeovil Junction is a sensible proposition.

paullad1984 likes this.
  5. Gladiator 5076

Operationally I guess although Yeovil Junction is not much of a destination unless you are interested in railways. I also understood some of the councilors in Weymouth are seriously opposed to the turntable proposal which is why it has never got off ( or is that into?) the ground.

6. Leafent

Leafent New Member

They seem to be a very private lot as well. I don't think I've ever seen a mention in the railway press of their activities. That being said, the Hastings unit would be a very good gala visitor for the Swanage Railway.

As to the more relevant topic of the U class, I fear that a Class 47 shall be helping Braunton down to Swanage unless something happens very soon.

7. Will RL

Will RL Member

Matt37401 and Sawdust like this.
  8. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Have I read that right? The 33 running from Weymouth to Yeovil and back? Seems a bit pointless going all the way to Yeovil if the U won’t do any of the work.

9. Will RL

Will RL Member

That’s the description I read direct from the latest HR magazine which prompted me to look for the times. Given the mogul is facing London I would’ve thought it would run the train off the branch, Weymouth- Yeovil and Weymouth to Wareham. Thus eliminating the need to turn the loco and gets a decent run in.

10. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

that does make most sense, engine is facing London, so runs leading to Wareham, 33 on back , 33 leads to Weymouth, Mogol is then on right end to lead to Yeovil , I would think that's what will happen and on the return, she will be leading for the return, and at the back from Weymouth to Wareham,

11. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

and the wrong way round for the next occasion? Turntable needed

12. martin1656

will it fit on Swanage turntable ? its going to need to turn when it gets to Yeovil Junction anyway on the day of its GB run unless its going to run L/E tender first to Yeovil anyway in which case it maybe wont need to turn

13. HerstonHalt

HerstonHalt Member

Ideally 31806 leads on the Weymouth - Yeovil leg, turns at Yeovil and leads back again? That way the 33 would only lead Wareham to Weymouth and Weymouth back to Wareham, the U would lead the rest.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

14. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    To whet the appetite - 31806 on test on the Swanage Railway passing Corfe Castle on 5 April :

DSC_3852.jpg

andalfi1, GWR4707, 240P15 and 9 others like this.
  15. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Not sure there's any intention to turn 31806 - but I could be wrong of course.
    Best wishes to the Swanage Railway team involved for a successful trial run on Friday.

HerstonHalt likes this.
  16. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Does anybody have definite info on which end of the train 31806 will be leaving Swanage?

17. Gladiator 5076

I do not believe it fits as in the past the loco and tender have been turned individually. Also at this stage I am not sure if they would want to split all the mainline electronics, but who knows (apart from John Bunch and the Swanage guys!)
    I guess if it leads out of Swanage, then it would lead out of Weymouth to Yeovil Pen Mill (only being at Weymouth for 10 minutes).

18. martin1656

As she is facing London, it makes sense to have the 33 leading with the U boat on the back to Weymouth, she will then lead from Weymouth to Yeovil , on the return depending on what way she faces out of Pen Mill, she could turn at Yeovil junction so that the return journey might see her facing Weymouth .

19. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Outward Leg....

Steam locomotive leading Swanage to Wareham, then reverse

Diesel locomotive leading Wareham to Weymouth, then reverse

Steam locomotive leading Weymouth to Yeovil Pen Mill, then reverse

Diesel locomotive leading Yeovil Pen Mill to Yeovil Junction

Return Leg

Steam locomotive leading Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Pen Mill, then reverse

Diesel locomotive leading Yeovil Pen Mill to Weymouth, then reverse