If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

30053 push pull gear and working push pull set

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by portline, Feb 27, 2009.

1. portline

portline Member

A few of us down at Swanage have been wondering what the reaction to having the M7 refitted with push pull gear would be?
    Would an appeal to get funding for the restoration of the push pull set be successful if launched?
    Would you financially support it? The idea is to perhaps launch a joint appeal for the funding of M7 push pull gear...(air pumps and things to make it work) and the restoration costs of one of the push-pull sets based on the railway.
    So what do you think?

2. dhic001

dhic001 Member

What happened to the push pull gear that was fitted to 53? She certainly went to the states with the pump mounted beside the smokebox, as its obvious in pictures of her there. So it must exist. Maybe you need to do some research before trying to fund a pump that you may still have.
    Daniel

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Obviously a brilliant idea, but to get all the funding i'd think it would have to be a HLF job. Is there any ballpark figure for cost?

Chris

4. portline

portline Member

I would like to see the pic you have of 53 with the pump mounted when she was in the states.
    Records show that the pump was removed at Eastleigh prior to her going overseas. I have been talking to DLL and it is quite clear that 53s pump no longer exsists..
    Thanks for your interest though and we will have a look and see if we cant get an appeal set up.
    Costs for the M7 mods are unknown as i dont think a preservation mod like this has been done before.
    As for the push pull set, the two coaches restored you are probably looking at around £150,000 to £200,000. Quite a bit of money really! ](*,)

5. dhic001

dhic001 Member

My appologies then, its clear I had mistaken a picture taken before she left, for one taken in the US. Oh well, the air pump is a small part of the scheme. Good luck with it.
    Daniel

6. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    You might have a very good case for HLF funding - a working Push Pull train complete with education package would fill a gap in the UK preservation movement.

Regards,

Dan

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Seconded, only the GWR form of Push/Pull working is decently represented currently, i know the IOW have ex push/pull coaches that could be operated with a Terrier but they are also not operational in that way as of yet so it would help any HLF application if Swanage had that "first".

8. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Push-pull working is quite fascinating if you have never experienced it before. Although quite a few ex-GWR loco's are auto-fitted, I have never so far been at an ex-GWR heritage line when an auto train was working. However, I did have a trip in the Auto trailer behind no. 1450 when they visited the Bluebell a year ago, and enjoyed the trip immensely.

A Southern push-pull set would be something a bit different and would fill a gap in the Southern branch line scene - something not expereinced now for, I would guess, about 45 years. Go for it, I would say, and I hope the HLF will help.

9. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

I have often wondered why the guys at Swanage decided to restore one of their Bulleid coaches first rather than these. I appreciate there is the intention outlined in Steam Railway a while ago to have the Bulleid 4-set eventually, but surely a higher profile way to kick start the heritage coach project would have been to do the push pull set and use it to earn revenue to benefit the remainder of the fleet. It isn't as though there's a real shortage of operational Bulleid coaches elsewhere.

A restored push-pull set would first of all be a more likely recipient of grant funding, whether it be from the HLF or from other such schemes. Operationally, the set would be a big draw, both for advertised passenger trips and for photographic charters, and would demonstrate the ability to achieve results. After all, momentum breeds momentum.

10. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    I'd probably send a donation towards such a project if launched. The M7 already is a unique selling point by itself being the sole operating member of its class. Having it operating the only functional Southern Push/Pull sounds even better.

11. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Now that would be something to experience on a southern line. I say go for it. GWR auto trains are quite popular so there is already the market for a similar southern version and it would offer all those southern fans something that would be truly unique.

The M7 with a push pull set, now that's something i would pay to see.

12. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Keep it in BR black and I'm sure you'd raise some funds!

13. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Hear hear Matt I agree with you on that! =D> =D>

14. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

i think it would be great if we could do that especially on the photo charters and over the lower seasons where we only really need two coaches

15. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

It's one of those things on my dream list so the 100% support continues

16. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Great idea. I'd certainly support such a scheme, though I'd disagree with Matt about choice of livery ;-) Ideal for low-season use and gala shuttles.

17. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Maybe one of the magazines could get involved???

18. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Doubt it.

30053 not at GCR
    Not western
    Not NRM

19. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

It would be nice if one of the magazines got behind the project even in a small way. I would gladly donate to the project and I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it up and running again.

Below links to pictures of push pull sets that you may or may not be interested in but it at least gives those who don't know what the coach looks like a few good images:
    http://www.semgonline.com/coach/pics/td_6699.jpg
    A colour picture of the coach in question

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/maunco07.html
    The page with the picture on and a brief history of said coach

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/maunco01.html
    Bottom half of page is about the sets

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/m7class_01.html
    M7 history and good pictures of the pump and it with push pull sets.

http://www.semgonline.com/home.html
    Homepage from where i found all of this information.

20. cheekylittlemonkey81

cheekylittlemonkey81 New Member

Very interesting selection of links, the semg website is an oracle of knowledge indeed. I'm just waiting to help on threstoration project if I could have a few guard turns on the finished piece of kit =P~