If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2ft gauge Leek and Manifold steam locomotive proposal

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynbarn, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is correct.

The plan came to nothing because no-one wanted to take on the task of organisation.

I would also agree with the above statement.

I'm not sure were the figure of 7 L&B coaches comes from - surely the L&B trains were typically only 4 coaches in length unless double headed?

Has the L&B been consulted on or given their approval to this plan? As mentioned above, the L&B seem to be working towards an authentic setup of L&B locos and carriages - it would seem unlikely to me that they would want an L&M loco or L&M carriages, just like they didn't want the Garratt or the other 'foreign' locos that Colin has suggested in the past (but doesn't own and aren't even in the UK)....

Keith

2. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Neil

Yes that project is still on going, it has been a sharp learning curve over the past few months, while I have been trying to contact either a Government department or a commercial concern to find out what is happening with a certain locomotive or two.

Also it has helped that I am dealing with people in the UK who just happen to know the countries where locomotives happens to be.

There is no guarantee that we will be that lucky to get every locomotive we see or hear about back to the UK.

Also the proposed group needs to have the right legal frame work (which for now will be a limited company).

Then we need to find a location where a workshop can be set up and any work that needs to be carried out can be done. It all takes time to put into place.

The one thing which I did get from the feedback was, that there is a feeling that new builds may be the cheapest option to build replicas, where are there is also a feeling that we should also try to rescue, repatriate, restore, run and repair suitable equipment from around the Commonwealth as well.

3. lynbarn

Keith I am only using the L&B as an example of the size of railway equipment I would like to obtain, the L&BR is a big 2ft gauge line.

My suggestion of 7 coaches is based on the size of train sets which would make the new L&BR viable over the longer length of railway.

The new L&BR is a total different railway to the old one as there will be more tourists about than there where years ago.

I have not consulted the L&BRT with my current plans as there is nothing to consult them about at the moment, I do however know what they would like to have. I also know that the L&BR would make a great place for a collection of locos and rolling stock that where not run on the line, but would be retained in a museum.

The thing is that the L&BR will be rebuilt with the old railway in mind, but there is a strong feeling that it is a business and you have to cater for your current market. If having modern day tourist stock caters for your market then that is what will happen, it may not be the pure L&BR everyone on this list wants, but then how many of today tourist railways can say they are a genuine representive of what they used to do?

The L&BR do have plans for another Manning Wardle and they are to be revealed later this year. As for any more it will all be down to funding.

The L&BR membership don't appear to be to worried as long as the railway is running if they wanted a Manning Wardle now why has this not happen since LYD was built?

Also I don't have a problem with Isaac coming to the L&BR all well and good I say. I would like to point out that I have never wanted a Garratt since the WHR got hold of them. But I should say that there is a growing influence from other railways for the L&BR to have NG15s and NGG16s in Devon.

It was the late Colin Pealling that made the case for them in the first place. What I have said in the past is that while the L&BR is being rebuilt, any bridge or structure that needs rebuilding should in my opinion be rebuilt now to take the larger locos and not wait until it is to late and more costly to do so.

As for this loco project I have not said it will be going to the L&BR all I wanted at this stage was to see what support there is for it.

4. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Agreed, Felix.

Nice idea, but the L&BR has more than enough to do at the moment to raise the funds for rebuilding the line, besides LYN is coming along nicely (maybe we should build a second one of that model?), and The YEO Project is at present still in mothballs, but I'm sure, almost ready to reawaken, and replicas of the other three L&B M-Ws would be a far higher priority than a re-gauged L&M loco! If this project is really intended for the L&B, then make sure they actually want it before beginning!

5. lynbarn

Hi Guys thanks for the debate on this project, it has been useful, sadly at present I don't think there is enough interest to take this to the next stage, but if anyone does have any information about the locos I would still be glad to hear about it.

6. Charobin

Charobin Member

Out of casual interest, who has the works drawings as I understand they exist - Hunslet, NRM, elsewhere?

7. lynbarn

Hi Charlie, I have a copy of the Robert Gratton Book about the Leek and Manifold Valley Railway and that has a work plan in it as well as 7mm modelling drawings.