If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2018 Carriage Convention

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by gwalkeriow, Jun 18, 2018.

1. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The 2018 Carriage Convention will be held at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway over the weekend of Saturday 6th October and Sunday 7th October.

A couple of guest speakers are already line up. More details to follow

30854, paulhitch and PaulB like this.
  2. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

I am hoping I might come but one thing I would like to see is a lot of coverage of making/upholstering seats as this is an important area that not many railways/volunteers seem to have much knowledge of. Some are entirely reliant on sending them to external companies to be done, but obviously that costs big ££££££

3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In common with much else, it's an artform beyond my capabilities, but this clip might point you in the right direction:
    https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/v...0vta&age=1521482238&fr2=p:s,v:v&fr=crmas&tt=b

Personally, I think I'd use a drift between hammer and button, to avoid clobbering the cloth. From what I saw on Peter Snow's series on restorations, beaded edging looks to involve something resembling an oversized curved surgical suture, for which I dare say one of our number will know the correct name.

4. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Date for the diary.
    And I agree about trimming, definitely a 'black' art or expensive sub-contracting ...

5. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    I will pass on your thoughts to the gentlemen of the committee.

6. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    From Stephen Middleton.

Stephen Middleton
    1 hr
    2018 Carriage Convention to be held at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

The Isle of Wight Steam Railway is proud to host the 2018 Carriage Convention and the delegate fee is….. zero! Travel, teas and coffees are free of charge to registered participants but donations to ongoing carriage projects will be gratefully received.

Participants are invited to bring details of their projects to display, lists of sales and wants and also any skills that they can demonstrate to share with others. In addition the IoWSR will display the coach that featured in Channel 4’s ‘Great Rail Restorations’ and, with Stephen Middleton, restorer of Queen Victoria’s coach also featured, will give away many of the secrets of these speedy restorations. Steve Davies will also present an overview of the project, his company, International Rail Heritage Ltd. being an advisor to the programme.

To register and for further information, contact Gary Walker at 2018carriageconvention@iwsteamrailway.co.uk

daddsie likes this.