If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2015 tour : suggestions please

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Reading General, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not in 2015, I'm afraid. You'll probably have to make do with a mix of LM, LNE & BR motive power. There might yet be a couple of interlopers, though.
    As John has said, you can easily fill time on the NYMR without being bored. There are many people who just spend the day on Grosmont station. Between 09.00 & 18.30 on the Gold T/T there are very few moments when something isn't happening there and you can always spend that in the buffet. In that time there are thirteen arrivals and thirteen departures plus a few routine shunts and associated light engine movements.

Reading General likes this.
  2. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Absolutely; one of my favourite preserved stations, with a real feeling by virtue of its location of still being at the heart of the community which it was built to serve. If one only has a limited amount of time then taking the train up the bank, grabbing a bacon butty in Goathland goods shed, and then sauntering down the original 1836 route with a stop at Beck Hole for a pint of Beckwatter in the Birch Hall Inn is a very pleasant way of using up an afternoon.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  3. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

this is the info I need! Grosmont in the list, top of. I will need to add an extra day to do the Heartbeat thing too as I'll be in my Mk2 Transit Camper.....

4. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

There's a nice little miniature railway at Ruswarp too.

5. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    While your near Bridgnorth and fancy somwhere else to visit, I'd recomend either The Black Country Museuem in Dudley or Blists Hill in Ironbridge in fact you could you could pop into Ironbridge on the way to Llan.

DisusedBranch likes this.
  6. Reading General

Did Ironbridge thisyear, Black country worth going to is it? Interesting

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  8. Reading General

Beamish is a long way off my proposed route.

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Personally, I prefer Black Country to Beamish but it is a few years since I have been to either. Black Country seems to have achieved a larger area of recreated town, largely I suspect because its "setting" is earlier and hence buildings are smaller! I understand there have been problems with the tramway in recent times but still definitely worth a visit. Just don't expect to get anywhere near the period chip shop if during term time - can't see it for school parties!

Steven

10. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Slightly biased as a Black Country chap but I would say yes, Stuff like Newcomen engine, Hobb's fish and chips (cooked in beef dripping), the coal mine and the canal boat trips. And transport wise the trolley buses are good fun too.

DisusedBranch likes this.
  11. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    I believe because of that theres 2 chippys ! I used to walk past Hobb's and sons on the way to college, it wasnt open but what a cracking building, red brick and those lovely tiles inside, beautiful!

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What else would you cook fish'n'chips in?

13. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Well would you Adam and Eve it some folks dont do them like that anymore... Its difficult enough trying to find decent Fish and Chips in Cambridge let alone stuff cooked in the good stuff!

14. It's your trip, but I think you will miss a lot of the experience if you try and cram in two each day, plus there's driving time between them of course. I certainly wouldn't want to try and do (for example) the ELR, NRM, GCR, Welsh Highland, Ffestiniog or Llangollen in half a day each - you'd hardly scratch the surface.

But did you do Blists Hill, which is completely separate from Ironbridge? (I highly recommend the tile museum at Ironbridge as well, by the way - fascinating!)

Personally I think that Blists Hill, the Black Country Museum and Beamish are all excellent. All different in their own way and all a great day out.

I did wonder why there was a second chippy at the BCM the last time I went. Now I know! :)

Reading General likes this.
  15. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    The 1st one was the one on the high street and its rather small! People'd be waiting for it to open at about 11 o'clock too! I should know I did it once!