If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2010 'TORBAY EXPRESS'

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Jan 20, 2010.

1. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    According to the 6024 society, the 2010 season of Torbay Expresses is expected to be hauled by 6024, 60163 'and another engine'. <BJ>
    www.6024.com/home.htm

2. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Yer Barrreeeedddd!

Should be another good year,already booked first and last ;)

HM Wakefield are been good to us this year,especially after the autumn problems ;)

Wonder if the Welsh Tafia will be on to oversee the operation of the Whiteball Challenge?

6024 Gardening dept as the Dartmouth locals appear to know us 3 as is ready for service,well,2 are the other one is just about to undertake a loaded test run ;) I'm not talking about locos.....i don't think?

3. 83B

83B Member

It is going to be a long Torbay Express season which is great. The only downside to last year was the pedestrian path between Taunton and Bristol on the return. What are the chances of a better path this year?

4. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    Standard price is quite hefty this year!

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

That is one heck of a price increase, gone from good value to expensive and made me glad I did this last year.

6. JMR

JMR New Member

I think the problem is that the (old) price was always too good to be true.For the mileage, the scenery, the destination, a prestige locomotive, fast running, hill climbing etc it was exceptional value for money at £50-£55. Probably one of the best value steam rides in the country.
    The question is ,does it still represent value for money? Some steam trips advertised this year are already nudging toward the £90 mark and beyond. So I would say (as an enthusiast), yes it still is good value.And i've booked my tickets. I just hope that the non enthusiast day trip customers will see it the same way.In the end the repeat itinerary trips depend on them.Lets hope theres a loyal following and that it has a successful season.

7. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    I agree that £50-£55 was exceptional value and a big part of the reason I did all bar 1 trip in 2008. With the increase last year we dropped down our number of Torbays by around half to that of 2008. Also increased cost of fuel to get to the station and then a parking increase at the station further pushed up the price of the day out. An increase of £20 in 2 years may have been a requirement to keep it going with a prestige loco but sadly I think a number of regular customers may be forced to reduce the number of trips they go on . . . . perhaps a 'season ticket' could be introduced for those buying multiple tickets in advance? Would a less prestige locomotive used for some of the dates reduce the cost overall?

This year I have a list of tours I am considering and with the Torbay's being close to the cost of one off tours now I will probably lean to do more in the way 'something special' like Cromwell and a Pannier banking for the same price . . . . The Torbays are a great run with great scenery and a great destination I'll be doing a few but not nearly as many as I had hoped and I will be more selective as to what engine I book with . . . .

That said here's hoping numbers keep up and the season is a success . . . .

8. Just what the hell is happening with the parking charges at BTM? £10.30 for a days parking outside!!! Disgusting I call it. Put your ticket on top of that and its a really expensive day out.

Shame on you APCOA. Half that would have been too much!

FC

9. Alberta 45562

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 bloody quid!

£3.50 till last year!

Thats a weeks wages for us! ;)

10. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Cheaper to park in a side street a mile away and get a taxi!! I detest parking charges of any kind, but that is robbery!

11. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well this is making it a bit too expensive for me now. With fuel to get to Bristol and back and parking, I am looking at over £110 for a ride on the Torbay Express. Perhaps I'll make a donation instead and stick to the lineside taking videos.

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I think the new price should perhaps be compared with prices paid by other 'enthusiasts' who pay to follow their interest.
    A friend of mine last Saturday paid around £75 for himself and daughter to watch a gang of overpaid prima donnas play football for 90 minutes. Man U against Hull. Now if this becomes a habit every other weekend, will he get a much pleasure and entertainment as we would get from a ride on a TBE...
    Will he meet a friendly crowd with no risk of any sort of unrest or violence, or get abuse hurled at him by the opposition, as the police attempt to keep opposing factions apart... :confused1:

13. cg

cg Well-Known Member

there are parking bays near the novotel bristol in victoria street, and that on sundays charges don't apply.

14. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    I don't doubt an enthusiast would pay £75 . . . I will for a couple and many other enthusiasts will do the same. From what I have seen over the years the Torbay's carries many 'normal passengers' and I worry that the price may put many of them off. A number of people in my office travelled last year but made comment at it being expensive even then . . .

Cheers
    Chris

PS - Football has always been overpriced for what it is . . . rubgy tickets are much better value and its a decent game ;-)

15. steammouse

steammouse New Member

New earlier return times have been announced for this year . Kingswear dep. 16 45 Paignton dep. 17 15 Exeter arr. 18 07 Taunton arr.1848 WSM arr.2003 BTM arr. 2038 . Looking at these times it would seem to be watering at Taunton on the return and not Exeter , which has been the norm over the years . It could also mean it will not be behind that stopper when it leaves Taunton .

16. Alberta 45562

beast,means i get home early :D

17. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    Rumour is 71000 could do a few turns. Has been rejected by WCRC for North Wales Coast Express and Scab Flyer. Alternative work was for TBE.

Prices have hiked up this year all through the classes with an addition of Premier Dining. A whopping £25 each for a table for two when RTC charge £15!

18. jane

jane Guest

Looking forward to the torbays be it working on it or traveling on her it a great run on a summer sunday , and look forward to seeing new and old faces on the run's,

19. jane

jane Guest

Well folks only a few days now before the return of these wonderfull trip's a long the sea wall at dawlish and down into devon just hope the weather is as nice as it's been this weekend.
    i am looking forward to seeing old and new faces again this year and hope you all enjoy the run's be it with the 6024 ,Tornado. or the Duke of Gloucester.,

20. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well after suggesting it was getting a bit expensive I couldn't resist and bought a ticket for the first run. I'm not taking any cameras, just out to enjoy the run behind the King.