If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ian Riley, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Whilst Railtour promoters are busy sorting out their callendar for next year, Rileys' are in discussion with all the 'main players' , besides all the established railtours and repeat itineraries, there are a couple of nice ones to look out for later in the year....

''The Oldham Looper'', the definative final steam around the Manchester / Oldham / Rochdale loop. (45407 / 44871 / 76079)

''The Laird of Stranraer'', 45407 and 44871 double headed.......three day epic!........unfinished business there!

Both of the above, incidentally, are Pastime Railtours operated by W.C.R............ \:D/

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Ian

All the best fella! - and to all my mates on here!

Two unmissables there - The absence of the Oldham Loop after those two triumphant weekends has been noted, and Stranraer was rather special - even if only 5407 made it! - Spring Bank Holiday again???

3. Ian Riley

Yes Frank, and all the best to you and your's as well!

Both events are currently being scheduled for October / November 2009, after their return from Fort William..............

4. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

I've never been on a mainline steam tour. 2009 WILL be the year that this changes.

5. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Oldham Looper looks rather exciting & tasty. Will have to keep an eye out for that one. :)

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You've what!!!. How can you come on here and admit a thing like that....There had better be some changes.

I've got my first of the year booked, posh class, Scots Guardsman, Man Vic, S&C and back over Shap to Carnforth... Last time behind 46115 was Crewe-Carlisle-Crewe, S&C north, Shap south some 40 years ago.. :-k

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Well, I'm not far behind in the railtour stakes. Apart from the legendary RCTS Borders railtour in 1961, with 46247 over the S&C, I've only managed the Aire -Esk Enterprise (1965) and the Derbyshire Dawdler (1967) behind the Great Marquess.
    46247 has been my only trip over the S & C and I'm happy to keep it that way! And that's from somebody who lives and sleeps steam!

8. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Well its worth doing. My first railtour was 2001, and included a sprint up the Midland Mainline behind Number 9. Before that my dad was a bit dubious of mainline steam feeling that it could not live up to his experiances as a child (very true, but...).

I do like the sound of...

... Not done a mainline steam trip since the North Briton as nothing really has caught my eye but this sounds interesting. A late Christmas present maybe!

9. jackprentice2007

jackprentice2007 Member

So what locos are going to Fort Bill next year

would be good to get a Black 5 / K4 pairing =P~ =P~

10. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    Hi

Well if you go by the NELPG website, the K1 is doing the jacobites next year.

Alex

11. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

BEWARE! you will become addicted. \:D/
    I go on 1 a year (3 so far) and they are great, I spend half the time at a window with camera, goggles on and hat, dirty face then walking through the carriages with people staring at you.
    My next is the Easterling in march which travels through the lines I love the most behind
    70013. I am on strict orders to wear a balaclava!

12. aemmott

aemmott New Member

I am on the Scots Guardsman too, not posh class though, hopefully head out of window class if the weather is good!, my wonderful wife purchased that and a trip on the Jacobite with a b&b in Fort Bill, looking forward to both I have to say!!!

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

You'll have black spots round your eyes when you take it off and people whispering to the person next to them "who's that panda ?" ;)

14. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    dace83 got it right; good description of the joys of steam travel. My greatest memory, and there is competition for that title, was of the Railway Touring Co weekend on the West Highland line in September 2005 - especially Sunday climbing up from Fort William to Corrour summit behind the B1 61264 in superb weather; window quite close to the front. West Highlands plus steam plus good weather is an awesome (and rare!) combination. One of the seven wonders of the railway world.

John

15. JWKB

JWKB Member

Ian,
    Any chance of your 2 Black fives up the central Wales next years? ???? [-o<

16. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    The best preservation days in the Highlands were the late eighties and nineties with the Westerton to Fort Bill tractor hauled trains returning with the K1, or Black Five, in sun, and hail, and rain, and snow - then the John Barnes Highland Rail Festivals that took steam to Oban, Kyle, Wick and Thurso - and for somewhat less than a grand a pop and with departures after breakfast time - not sometime in the middle of the night!

Then Bob Branch showed how it can be done up to 2004 - and after that - pale imitations only, at a price to make your eyes water - a great great shame!

17. Ian Riley

I don't see why not?....give Andy Staite, Nigel Dobbin or Roger Hardingham a ring, I'm sur one of them will oblige!..... =D>

18. JWKB

JWKB Member

Cool,

I mean why else would you have bothered with owning/restoring 2 Black 5 if you never going to use them on a proper route 8-[

19. dmr

dmr New Member

steam section of the cumbrian fellsman, has been cut already 46115 scots guardsman now hellifeild, settle & carlisle return. no shap. how can they advertise a tour and then change it completley, i would have been very dissapointed if i had booked on this tour.

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That is a let down, I am booked on it but may well cancel as Manchester Vic to Hellifield was to be one of the interesting sections as was the southbound run over Shap... :(