If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2009 - A difficult year for the WHHR?

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Realist, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

A substantial section of the branch is indeed open as a footpath, from the site of the former road overbridge in Rhostryfan village to a short distance before the site of Bryngwyn Station (which is private property). The section down from Rhostryfan to Tryfan Junction hasn't been forgotten about - the plan to open this (and do something modest at the site of Rhostryfan Station) is largely in the hands of the community council (Llanwnda). The idea is that the railway will lease the branch trackbed to Gwynedd Council to facilitate this; there was however an adverse possession claim over part of the route, not sure what the current state of play is about this.

In terms of walking, try the tramway from above the incline to Alexandra Quarry - it's spectacular and very individual.

Some details and pictures of the branch and its feeders can be found here.

2. triassic

triassic Member

Any plans for a Park and Ride from the bypass back into Portmadoc?
    So the High Street will be closed for approx 40 mins on operating days?

3. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

It'll be closed for the length of time a train takes to cross - 2-3min? Not much more than a normal set of traffic lights, I expect. Or do you mean the cumulative time during a day?

4. triassic

triassic Member

I mean as per my original post, that last week when I was in Portmadoc it took me around 4 minutes to clear the bridge/crossing in my car due to traffic congestion. Allowing 5 minutes to clear road traffic plus the time for the train to cross it`s at least 8 minutes per crossing.

5. snowtownbob

snowtownbob New Member

Most of the traffic congestion in Port is caused by no-one wanting to drive at more than walking speed past the line of parked cars in the High Street, partly because of fear of children running out between the parked vehicles and partly because drivers hope against hope that they will find a parking place for themselves. The obvious cure is ample, free, off-street parking which would revitalise the town.

IMHO Porthmadog is a textbook example of mismanagement by a local authority -- second only to Caernarfon (which is in process of being totally financially ruined) , that is. #-o

6. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Caernarfon now has a brand new (and some might say dangerous) paved square and an interesting new Visconti style sea front apartment block for various officials….. I mean what more could you ask for?

7. msgreen44

msgreen44 New Member

Without wishing to stir up a hornets nest 8-[ , I just wondered if anyone can say if the WHHR/ FR talks are still continuing and if they might be nearing a resolution (obviously no details expected :-# ).

8. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Sadly, a sign of the times - local authorities now derive a significant portion of their revenues from parking charges, and are extremely reluctant to give up that revenue. I agree with you that free parking is a good way to encourage visitors to stop and spend in a town, but the trend is against it. If Tesco or the like built an out-of-town emporium with free parking it would kill off the high street.

Richard

9. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Well they've gone quiet and they've stopped slagging eachother off so one can only assume that they've kissed and made up again.... yawn! =;

10. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well let's hope so! Then both organisations can get on with plannig a sensible service to attract punters in these difficult times.

11. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

If there was anything to be said publically then im sure it would've been. If you dont want to stir up a hornet's nest, then i suggest you wait for news like everyone else.

Chris

12. msgreen44

msgreen44 New Member

Ouch! 8-[ - sorry my curiosity got the better of me!

Would be nice though for the concerned parties to at least issue an official update - e.g. we're still talking, please bear with us.

13. triassic

triassic Member

Pont Croesor loop latest

With the construction of LC114B/C it has become clear that the 20m overlap for run round of locos at this loop is not available and the point must be moved further south before the platform is built. The WHR(P) has offered to built the platform here.

The above was posted on Barrie Hughes site between Christmas and New Year so I guess they are still talking :-k

14. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

No need to apologise, it was a valid question considering the fact that they have been quite happy to use this forum as and when they’ve spat their dummies out in the past!

A statement could and should have been issued within a month of their initial (or rather latest) tiff…. It just goes to show that they do not give a toss about anyone or anything other than their own egos.

15. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    What if the discussions are confidential and to publicise anything about them might jeapordise any future outcome? Plus if they do release any information it only causes so much frothing and speculation that it might disrupt the (presumed) ongoing discussions. Keeping everyone in the dark might just be the best way to reach a workable solution.

16. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

We don't need the detail Neil... a simple statement along the lines of- "Discussions and continuing and we are hopeful of a satisfactory resolution, thanks to all for the kind support!" would not jeapordise anything!

17. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Maybe the alternative is that nothing is happening? ;)

18. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

A jointly agreed statement would surely jeapordise nothing so perhaps they are unable to agree even on that! But if nothing at all was happening I expect one of the parties would eventually reveal this, since they would have nothing more to lose.

19. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Perhaps they have more important things to be doing than releasing a statement saying that discussions are ongoing?

When something is agreed and the rest of the world needs to be told, then im sure we'll be the first to know, but in the meantime there is more than enough happening at both WHR lines to keep everyone interested.

Chris

20. triassic

triassic Member

Seeing as the WHR missed out on the potentially lucrative market of taking rubbish to Cilgwyn landfill (incline permitting that is) I`m wondering if the Portmadoc bypass goes ahead if they will be tendering to run slate trains for the building work? Apparently they have already run some from Hafod-y-Wern quarry during the rebuild of the railway. No doubt there will be a market for 100,000s of tons of the stuff plus possibly slate blocks for bridges etc maybe from Blaenau?
    I would think this would blend perfectly with their remit to reduce road traffic within the National Park and how much would you pay to drive Mountaineer with a hundred ton freight train on the drawbar \:D/