If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

200 Years of Steam Gala - Middleton Railway

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by ahardy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ahardy

ahardy Member

After discussions with our friends at Dewsbury Bus Museum we can confirm that each day we will operate a vintage bus service connecting Leeds mainline station to the Middleton Railway. The route will also take in the sites of the Leeds locomotive builders with each bus equiped with its own tour guide.

The service will be operated by two different buses from the museums collection. To find out more about their fleet visit their website at Home - DEWSBURY BUS MUSEUM details of which buses wil be operating and times of the services will be published shortly.

Also added to our traction engines page are details of two confirmed steam road engines. More to follow shortly.

We look forward to seeing you at the event.

Andy

2. ahardy

ahardy Member

More updates:

Slough Estates No.3 has entered traffic and completed its first day in revenue earning service ready for its star role in the gala. Its expected the loco wont be used too regularly before the event.

We have also published the timetable for our FREE vintage bus tours from Leeds city bus station and mainline station to the event. As soon as we know which buses are in operation we will post further details.

Also more details on the Leeds Brewery Bar, including prices.

Take a look, more updates coming in the next few days.

2012: Home

Cheers,

Andy

3. george.sawdon

george.sawdon New Member

Volunteer at Kirklees Light Railway
    Really looking forward to this event. I've been going to Middleton Railway for many years now and it's one of my Favourite lines even though i prefer Preserved railways that were once a Mainline.

4. george.sawdon

george.sawdon New Member

Volunteer at Kirklees Light Railway
    Be nice to see Furness Railway no. 20 on your line. Only seen this engine on display in Steam twice before. I thought itwas out of gauge for your line though as it's a tender engine.

5. JonL116

JonL116 New Member

Because it's a tender engine it's actually got two quite short wheelbases with a pivot so not an issue...we struggle more with weight than length! There is lots going on behind the scenes including a shunting plan for where everything will live over the weekend and work with our sponsors Greyhound packagaing to produce a surprise display.

There will also be a further mystery live steam display based on WATER rather than road or rails so look out for that one too...

This is undoubtedly the biggest gala we have ever held and offers much more than just rides on a train. I am, as we speak, proof reading the notes for the bus tour of the Leeds loco builders which will take in historic sites such as Hunslet, Fowler and Hudswell Clarke. This not only provides a FREE link to the city but a FREE chance to learn more about the history of Leeds' engineering past.

Don't forget, tickets in advance are cheaper from 2012: Home

John

6. TimJNV

TimJNV New Member

7. JonL116

JonL116 New Member

Updates to the website will now be coming more regularly, we are making the first moves of stock for the gala tonight, the event is now less than a month away. We are in the process of finalising the timetable and it is safe to say there is A LOT going on, with 6 locos in steam on the main line and Balm Road branch plus Steam Elephant it makes me wonder if we have enough coal....

Inside the engine house there will be at least 4 live steam layouts as well as around 30 stationary and Mamod models. You can also see the replica cog wheel we have had cast, the first one of its type in over a century!

Other attractions are now coming together nicely as we have several full size road locomotives as well as minatures attending, we have growing interest in this event from local groups so I am hoping to have a good variety of minature traction engines and steam lorries.

Details on the buses we will be using will be going up shortly along with practicalities such as where to park and details of the food on offer. All this can be experienced for just £10 in advance, only £2 for children. Visit our website at 2012: Home for further details or see us at Railfest in York for some special discount tickets.

If you've never visited us before, there couldn't be a better time.

8. ahardy

ahardy Member

Some more updates for you.

We have now placed Moor Road departure times on our latest news page. Its going to be an intensive timetable. Locomotive changes will take place at Park Halt, Moor Road and Balm Road, making this one of our most intensive timetables ever.

We are also pleased to confirm that West Riding 164 ( a Leyland Panther) will be operating our bus connecting services and tour.

More full size and miniature traction engines and steam lorries are coming forward to attend our event. This is going to be an event not to miss!

We look forard to seeing you there.

Any questions, please ask.

Andy

9. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Will some engines be used on the Balm Road branch only? Also wonder if a roster may be available?

Thanks!

10. ahardy

ahardy Member

All the locomotives except Steam Elephant will work over the Park Halt and Balm Road branches. The timetable is available on the website, although loco allocations wont be known for sure, however its a "rolling pattern" timetable so its fairly wasy to work out which engines will be where when you arrive.

Cheers

Andy

11. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to this!!

12. ahardy

ahardy Member

Pete, not a problem, were looking forward to it too! Out of interest, have you been to any of our events before?

For anyone that is interested in a bit of the history behind the early locomotives on the railway, take a look at the latest edition of Heritage Railway where I have written an article on the background of the railway, their design and introduction.

Shunting for the event has now started. the freight train has been assembled and looks fab. Final shunting will take place on Tuesday before the locos start arriving.

Remember, if you wish to beat the rush, advanced tickets are available from the railway over the phone, see the website for details.

More updates to come as things develop, keep an eye on the event website.

Andy Hardy

13. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Hello Andy, I've been to galas at the Middleton railway before, though not for some time, before the station was remodelled and the new museum built. I'm planning on bringing my 11 year old nephew next week, just need to choose a day now

14. ahardy

ahardy Member

Well the gala is this coming weekend. Visiting locomotives and attractions start arriving from tomorrow. Keep an eye on the website for more information, pictures and news when things arrive.

We also featured in the Yorkshire Post today, if you want to take a look follow the link: Full steam ahead into the past for world

Remember, advanced tickets can still be purchased over the phone, see the website for more details.

2012: Home

Andy

15. ahardy

ahardy Member

Latest news:

The improvments at our Park Halt terminus carried out by Leeds City Council have been compelted. New trees have been planted, path edging completed and the platform surface tarmaced. Photos are on the 2012 website.

The first public trains to use the new facilities will be at next weekends gala. Why not come and take a look.

Andy

16. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Wow. Definitely looks a bit different! Looking forward to attending on Saturday.

Duncan

17. ahardy

ahardy Member

Steam Elephant has now arrived on the Middleton Railway. The engine travelled down from Beamish this morning and was unloaded at Moor Road in the early afternoon. The loco still needs its chimney fitting, a job for tomorrow. For a picture of it in the sun after unloading check out the website: 2012: Home

Our own fleet of locomotives have been prepared and other preperations are ongoing.

Another loco is due later today, so check back for more details. Dont forget that advanced tickets can still be purchased over the phone.

Andy

18. ahardy

ahardy Member

Well our second locomotive of the day has now arrived, however its not the one we had originaly planned. Despite the best efforts of everybody involved it is with great regret we have to announce that Bellerophon is now unable to attend our gala. A problem occured during the manufacture of a part and the owners had to reluctantly withdraw the loco from the event.

However, thanks to the efforts of the locomotive's owners, the Foxfield Railway and the VCT, a replacement has been organised at short notice.

During the afternoon the railway took delivery of Bagnall 2842 from Foxfield. Although a more modern locomotive (built in 1946), it will undoutably be of interest to our visitors hauling both passenger and freight trains at the gala. For more information on the engine, please visit the event web page: 2012: Home

19. ahardy

ahardy Member

Steam Elephant was tested today. It looks fab on the railway and is great fun to drive. I really recomend you come and give it a go on our "Driver for a Fiver" runs.

More stuff arriving tomorrow (well today really).

For a picture from today and to see the latest news as it happens, see the website: 2012: Home

Andy

20. ahardy

ahardy Member

Furness No.20 has now arived and will be unloaded in the morning. Its still not to late to buy advanced tickets, see the website for details and a picture of tonights (or this mornings really) latest arrival.

Andy