If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

2' gauge Garratt in Switzerland

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Purple Emperor, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Purple Emperor

Purple Emperor New Member

The 27th and 28th August were gala days at the Baumschulbahn near Brugg in Switzerland. This was my first visit to this remarkable railway. The Garratt wasnt running in the gala,I'm not sure if it is servicable at the moment,but it looks in good condition.Its numbered NG60 and named Drakensberg.
    Three engines were in steam each day, Taxus an 0-8-0 Krauss Brigadelok, Pinus an 0-4-0 Henschel and Emma an 0-4-0 Maffai. On Sunday Emma failed and was replaced by DS90 a Diema diesel.
    The line runs for 3 kms around and criss-crossing a large nursery/garden centre.Its a well built line and includes 2 viaducts and a section where the line actually runs through one of the large greenhouse buildings for about 70 meters-a great location to video.
    I was sorry that Molly an 0-4-0 SLM wasnt running,also present was Sequoia an 0-6-0+T under repair.

2. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    I often wear a T shirt of this Swiss garratt....Its a brilliant set up. Accessible by bus,friendly + fun. You can view all the locos. If you have a partner who likes garden centres you have hit the jackpot. Well worth a visit on the area. Lots of other Swiss steam within an hour or two!!
    Going thru' the greenhouse was the best bit!

3. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

4. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Thanks for the tip. I shall have to go and investigate.