If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

18th July - Cathedrals Express to Weymouth

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Matt35027, Jul 9, 2010.

1. RobHickerton

RobHickerton New Member

Engieering Consultant
    So you as a photographer have a special right denied to those of us who do not choose to carry a camera?

Some of us choose to look and enjoy rather than look through a lens, I don't think we have any less right to a place to watch.

Rob

2. Mikem

Mikem Member

This guy was a phototographer obviously not used to stations and keeping behind the yellow lines

like the rest of the onlookers camera or not. It's people like him not using the railway code on a sod you basis

gives those that do care a bad name as I have witnessed for several years now.

Mike M.(70c)

3. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Through Surbiton 45 mins down. Anyone know the reason for the late running?

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Arrival back at Clapham Junction at circa 23.30 on a Sunday night could not have been good news.

Hopefully someone here was on the train and when they get home, (shock!), can give a report on the day, and on the reason for the delay. But the train was reported circa 20 late at the top of Parkstone Bank. And that before a very tight timing from Bomo to Soton. And then just over an hour at Salisbury to turn and water the loco. So maybe it was an accumulation of delays, but a report from on the train would put us straight on that.

5. Mikem

Mikem Member

It arrived at Brookwood about 22.20 there was a lot of shovelling coal going on,

finally got away 22.47. The 22.48 stopper was clse on it's tail.

Mike M. ( 70c )

6. 34042

34042 New Member

I understand the problem at Brookwood was lack of steam, which while sufficient to keep the brakes off, nevertheless gave concern as to the possibility of getting stuck in section . We got off at Woking, but judging by the colour of smoke at various times during the day I suspect the crew were doing a good job with coal that was not ideal.

It was still a pretty good day out

7. dan-trumpet

dan-trumpet New Member

I'll give it a go. According to Steam Dreams staff, we were late leaving Weymouth because of signaling problems on the down line. We then got stuck waiting for the single line and because of the delay we got caught behind 2 stopping trains on the way to Salisbury, so also missed our slot for turning on the triangle. We left Salisbury at least 20 minutes late.

Somehow 30777 made up time to Brookwood, and we arrived there around 5 minutes late. We then stopped there for a while, the rumour on the train was that the delay was caused by clinker - there was a lot of clanging coming from the footplate - so we were almost 30 minutes late when we arrived at Woking.

I thought Steam Dreams and West Coast did a fabulous job - I hadn't been on a mainline railtour before and it was a brilliant day and impeccably organised. The stop at Yeovil in particular was great, as there was so much going on at the steam centre.

It was disappointing that we were top and tailed and diesel hauled into Weymouth, but as Sir Lamiel is apparently the only working steam locomotive available in the South of England, everyone just seemed grateful that she hadn't failed as well!

8. knightoftheblackeagle

knightoftheblackeagle New Member

yesterday,30777 sir lamiel and its load of 11 was allowed at last to shine!after all its recent runs of having to be pushed and shoved everywhere by a diesel yesterdays run for me was superb,one of the best so far.at grateley station,climbing the bank up from templecombe then storming away over the summit showering me in coal smuts,then standing in the sun at maiden newton looking superb with state of the crew looking as though they were blacked up for the black and white minstrel show fromthe past!every place we saw them they were black,must have been uncomfortable for them as the day turned out very hot.from maiden newton to near the top of parkestone bank,for anyone enjoying the sound of a locomotive working hard this was the place to be!!!for once it did sound as though the driver was doing his best to try and make up some time for he really came storming up the bank and thanks to the wind direction the sound could be enjoyed over a great distance,i thought 46115 scots guardsman was good climbing here recently but 30777 took the laurels yesterday.finally at dunbridge station 30777 could be heard roaring along on its approach passing and tearing away into the towards salisbury in the most beautiful evening light!! thanks to those that make all happen for a very enjoyable day.

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Many thanks indeed for this and the other reports.

Not surprised some time was made up Salisbury to Brookwood! Even for a class five on close to 400 tons, 83 minutes for the 55.7 miles was rather generous. Especially for 30777 that once did the entire 83.7 miles from Salisbury to Waterloo in 72 mins 41 secs with a load only a little less.

Shame if poor coal caused the loco and support crews problems.

Thanks again guys. I couldn't be out yesterday, so it's nice to know how things went.

10. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Thanks for the reports. Even though the planned double heading with Tangmere and then Bittern didn't take place, it still sounded like a good day.

11. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    I think that trouble with the state of the fire was encountered down as well as up as the long pricker was in major use at Salisbury down and in serious use at Brookwood up. Serious faces from Mr Bunker and Marcus in the long wait there. Hopefully our travelling companions,one disabled, caught their last train from Clapham at 11,30. I must say I don't remember ever having such a stunning run through Basingstoke so she was in fine form there.

12. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Had a really nice day Sunday following this tour as far as Bournemouth where I stayed overnight for a visit to the Swanage Railway the next day. Just uploaded some photos to flickr, more to fotopic soon and a video. The late running after Weymouth allowed me to beat 30777 from Upwey to Parkstone with some ease in the end.

Andover...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4813615442/

Buckhorn Weston...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4813623138/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4813621638/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4813618784/

Upwey...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4812989409/

Parkstone...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4813611986/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4813611258/

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

So not carrying a Camera gives someone a given right to be an ignorant berk then ?, everyone in attendance has the same rights as each other, so i think he's entitled to complain when everyone else is behaving well and trying not to hinder each other's enjoyment when mr selfish comes along and ruins it for all of them because he obviosuly comes first and sod anyone else.

No one is saying they have more right to be there than someone else, but show some courtesy to whoever was there first instead of looking after no1 and stuff the rest.

14. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    Hello All,

A small collection of photographs I took of Class N15 "King Arthur" 4-6-0 30777 SIR LAMIEL when she hauled "The Cathedrals Express" into Yeovil Junction on Sunday 18th. July 2010 have been added to my fotopic gallery. You are welcome to view and hopefully enjoy.

Link here;

http://preservedrailwaylocomotivephotosbyrichardsmith.fotopic.net/c1874429.html

Best regards SteamHawk216.

15. 34042

34042 New Member

Yes a spirited run through Basingstoke on the up run at 67 mph but on the preceding climb to Grateley she dropped to less than 30mph . This could have been due to holding back to allow a preceding service train to clear at Basingstoke or perhaps it was the lacklustre coal.

16. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I was waiting for 777 just before Grateley station. She was shut off at the top of the bank, about half a mile before the station, then was opened up again beyond. I suspect she may be subject to a speed restriction through the platform, since she is quite wide over the cylinders.

17. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Think I have seen references to a speed restriction through Grately for 30777 Steamage but can't find where now - she is subject to quite a few restrictions on bridges and through stations DH

18. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Sounds rather like a speed restriction owing to width clearences, Halls have a similar 30MPH one at Dorridge.

19. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  20. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Back from my week in Weymouth. Saw her climbing the bank making a great noise. Hopefully I'll get my photos and video up tomorrow.