If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

18th July - Cathedrals Express to Weymouth

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Matt35027, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That's convenient Ashley I was about to ask about locations.

2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    From Dorchester take the A354 towards Weymouth. After a mile or so the road widens and drops downhill. On the left is a lay-by. Park here if you can. Alternately park on the opposite side of the road but for heaven's sake, don't block the lane. Access to the location is by way of a gate approx 100 metres down the hill from the lay-by. The location is gradually becoming overgrown so get your shot while you can. A new road is under construction nearby but I haven't found it a problem. I am not too sure who owns the field so if anyone has the owner's contact number would they kindly PM me so that I can contact them to ask for permission to film from their property. TIA. <BJ>

3. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Thanks very much. Maybe see you there Ashley.

4. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Thank you very much, yes, hopefully I will be there Sunday so I might see you then Matt!

5. John2

John2 Member

Water stop at Brookwood.

6. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    One other thing Ashley & Matt, its obviously quite a popular spot so if your planning on parking in the lay-by's then get there early!

7. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
  8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Thanks for that. Shows the water stop at Brookwood now. And I would guess 30777 will also take water at Eastleigh on the return?

Not sure why it is allowed 56 minutes from Salisbury to passing Basingstoke in the evening: maybe it has to be out of Salisbury by 20.38 and there isn't an earlier pathway on from Basingstoke. All will become clear to those on the train no doubt.

9. knightoftheblackeagle

knightoftheblackeagle New Member

bryan,ref 56mins salis-basing for 30777,its following the 20.27 all stations stopper salis-basing!

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

If I'm reading the timetable correctly, the stopper gets to Basing at 21.06. With 30777 not due in behind it until 21.34. Not sure the signalling sections are that long!

I'm also a bit surprised there is no water stop on the down run before Salisbury................ But then the one run I timed behind an Arthur, (September 1962), hardly qualifies me as an expert in water consumption for the class! LOL!

Oh well. I'm under the weather, and anyway haven't got a ticket for the train. So will just have to log on here tomorrow to see how it all pans out.

11. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Does anyone know whether its booked Fast Line to Woking or will it change over at somewhere like Hampton Court Junction? I'm debating whether to try Esher station in the morning or play it safe and go to the road bridge over Surbiton.

12. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    It appears to be booked Slow line Clapham Jc to Wimbledon West Jc, Fast line thence to Hampton Court, Slow line (?) to Weybridge, then Fast line through Woking to Worting Jc. I'm not sure that this is all correct !

David

13. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

11 on, std at front no diesel

14. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Cheers David. Played it safe in the end and went to the bridge before Surbiton. Through at 09:07 running 6 mins down. It was running on a flashing double amber through the station so I think what you were saying was probably the plan! Pic up later.

15. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Fingers crossed! 6 late means it will be holding up the fast train behind it before Basingstoke: the timing from Woking to passing Basing is tight with no recovery: all that comes after Basing. With no water stop shown before Salisbury it does not want too many slowings for crossovers and back etc.

But the good news is no box on the train! Shame I feel a bit rough as I'd like to have gone out and photted it somewhere. Probably from the bridge between Pirbight Junction and MP 31 where I used to photo Arthurs etc in the very early 1960s.

16. B1

B1 Member

15 late Winchfield, on the fast going well.

17. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

72 through Andover, Lamiel is apparently making quite hard work of its heavy load.

18. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Before I forget, shot from Surbiton earlier:

Attached Files:

19. Mikem

Mikem Member

I managed to get a cracking shot on the fast through Brookwood. No units blocking the way.

Several of us were equally spread out and then Mr. Inconciderate out of the woodwork comes wondering

along hanging over the platform as Lamiel came round the corner, but received a few get out the B....y way calls.

Although she was working hard I hope they don't over work her or else she will end up with the rest of the casualties.

Mike M. ( 70c )

20. DH34105

DH34105 Member

30777 going well at top of Parkstone bank tonight at 1811 - good climb for a class 5 with 11 on - followed 7 minutes later by 47760 light after helping as far as Weareham. DH