If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

14th Aug: "The Railways of Sodor" - a history lecture by the Reverend Awdry

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by timmydunn, Aug 12, 2021.

1. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Many years ago, the Rev Awdry and his brother George wrote up the history of Sodor's railways, people, and places. Wilbert made it into a lecture, touring the various early preservation societies. Later, notes were condensed into a now long out-of-print book.

The Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Tywyn was given all of those handwritten notes - and they are extraordinary, and we have found them.

This Saturday at 7pm, I'm giving that lecture again, using those notes. I've edited it down to fit about an hour, and we've some startlingly wonderful visuals. So, if you'd like to learn about the history of the railways on Sodor, how they brought about the demise of Bradshaw (there is a Portillo joke somewhere in all this; I'm not going to try) and a little more about the only man who has ever been up to the job of documenting their stories - it's five quid to the TR for the livestream and I promise it's a better way to spend your evening than Midsomer Muders on ITV1.

Do spread the word: if this is popular then there is an awful lot of stuff we've found in boxes that deserves to be told again.

Tickets: https://ticketisland.azurewebsites.net/ticketi_slevent_cal3Full?bi=TalyllynRa&slctd=08-14-21

Cheers!
    Tim

Attached Files:

3ABescot and goldfish like this.