If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

1014 - County of Glamorgan

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Lord Belborough, Jan 1, 2023.

1. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What will most likily happen is as one engine reaches the end of its ticket, another rebuild using parts of another dismantled engine will take its place, the collection growing larger each time, with each new vanity project, whilst others not steamed , but capable of being steamed are ignored, and others favoured by certain people with in the GWS, get the funding , Is there a working Hall, in the collection? Is there a working Manor? when 4073 finishes will 5051 get an overhaul?

2. William Fletcher

William Fletcher Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does the collection need a working Hall or Manor? Id argue not

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

and there is the $10000 question re the Didcot collection . So restored engines continue to sit idle . You could argue that anything above 4144/6106 is probably too big for the Didcot site . however there is a clamour for hire so a small fleet of working larger engines could both cover itself in the £££ and provide a mobile advertisment for the GWS

4. William Fletcher

William Fletcher Member

This is true, though dose enyone actually make money out of hiring engines or do thay just pay for their own upkeep oin the end?

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

If that …

The one advantage a site like Didcot has is that because use is light, subsequent overhauls might be quite limited in scope, for example you aren’t going to create massive mechanical wear doing a few miles per day on a few tens of days per year. Whereas a loco that has gone on hire to a big railway and done 50 - 100 days per year on heavy trains for ten years is likely to require a significant mechanical rebuild at the end of that time.

I don’t think it is the job of the GWS to act as a strategic reserve of locos that can be worn out by other users (same argument as those clamouring to see more NRM locos running). As a charity, they would need to act in accordance with their charitable purposes. That is likely to require a balance being struck between the need to conserve the historic fabric of vintage machinery; and the extent to which they consider that seeing the locos in traffic helps deliver the charitable objectives.

Tom

mdewell, hyboy, Maunsell907 and 10 others like this.
  6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Not sure how this applies to "cut and shut" locos and the donors that have been chopped for parts.

7. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

The argument would be that such projects are a form of preservation, and therefore that the obligations apply to the results of those projects. Note that charity or museum status doesn't preclude disposals from a collection.

That leaves a number of philosophical questions about what constitutes preservation, whether projects like the County or Night Owl should proceed and, if so, how.

8. RAB3L

RAB3L Member

Who is to provide the labour to overhaul locomotives for other users? Volunteers at their own expense, rarely to see the results of their labour? A non-starter!

9. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

There isn't a cheap overhaul these days. Regularly we're seeing mid-high six figures and we're closing in on the million pound overhaul (although if I read the numbers for 4930 correctly (AINAA), it was somewhere in the region of £800k) so for Didcot to put up half a million for a loco like 5051 to shuttle up and down at Didcot, thats probably not the best use of financial resources before thinking about as @RAB3L points out, its a non starter for volunteers to overhaul a loco for it to get worn out elsewhere these days.

10. Sidmouth

others earlier in the thread are championing 2999 being out on hire and looking forward to 4079 stretching their legs . your point would suggest these engines shouldn't go out on hire ....

A largely static museum isn't fulfilling its objectives of allowing people to experience engines working and being able to travel in appropriate stock . I'm not advocating that engines should be worn out with the GWS getting no benefit but equally five out of the ten years in a ticket for a peak sesaon hire would put more ££ in the overhaul pot for other engines than tootling up and down the demonstration line . Secondly would those who have restored the engine also not appreciate the opportunity to see it and experience it stretch its legs properly

we digress away from 1014 , but is this not what the GWS within its objectives is also about

[​IMG]Severn Valley Railway Spring steam up by Martin Creese, on Flickr

does this not do more to inspire interest in the GWR and GWS/Didcot than an engine sat cold in the engine shed

11. RAB3L

RAB3L Member

I'm not against occasional hire against your "however there is a clamour for hire so a small fleet of working larger engines could both cover itself in the £££ and provide a mobile advertisment for the GWS". You are getting as creative as one other member on here!

There was a time when GWS locomotives were used on the mainline. 2999, 4079 etc can't really stretch their legs at 25 mph, either on the demo line or elsewhere. How many of the "others" you refer to actually volunteer?

There would no such thing as railway preservation if it wasn't for volunteers. Don't abuse them!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  12. Sidmouth

splitting hairs . Stretch their legs better at 25 with 8 on the drawbar and a 1 in 100 climb for two miles than the demo line .

13. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    I've seen the GWS objectives stated as "the charitable objectives to preserve, restore and operate as a permanent public exhibition and museum, steam and other railway locomotives, rolling stock and equipment with particular reference to the former Great Western Railway, both for historical and educational purposes and to make available for public reference the history, equipment and operation of the former Great Western Railway. " Like all such you can read as much or as little into that as you desire, and doubtless people will interpret according to their preconceptions as they always do.

When I see a loco owning group proclaiming to its membership that there is no need to do any fund raising for the current overhaul due to the generous income gathered from steaming fees then I'll believe that running locomotives on other lines is self financing. I shan't hold my breath! A substantial chunk of a 10 year overhaul will probably be fixed costs, but, for instance, Cook was insistent that if locomotives were maintained properly mileage should be an excellent basis of when overhaul is required, and its very hard to imagine that a locomotive that has done 20,000 miles over its ten years will have as expensive an overhaul as one that has done 120,000.

14. Sidmouth

Similar good water treatment / RO water alongside undercover storage plus keeping on top of maintenance all help

Chris86 and Hampshire Unit like this.
  15. RAB3L

RAB3L Member

Didcot - water treatment, RO - no.

Hunslet589 likes this.
  16. RAB3L

RAB3L Member

If you'd ever ridden a Castle at 70 mph with 10 GWR coaches, you might hold a different view!

Greenway and ianh like this.
  17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    NELPG still manage to do it. Not sure who else, though.

18. Sidmouth

since you revel in putting other members down and have been warned in another thread on the same I will happily share with you that I have footplated a Castle on the main line at 70 thank you and it was an experience that will live long in the memory

However since Didcot are no longer aspiring or involved in main line running that is unlikely to be something anyone will experience on a Didcot engine

19. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

This reminds me of the mid 1950, when in the RAF and before I bought my first car. A regular Sunday morning trip from South Devon. It was about 2.30 am, so no chance of guessing the speed from lineside telegraph poles. The travelled downhill from Whiteball Tunnel towards Taunton and the speed of the train was certainly noticeable as it moved and rocked until the brakes were applied for the Taunton stop.

20. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Yes! :D I was lucky enough to be service crew a couple of times back in the 80's and can confirm that mainline work is a whole other level above anything a heritage railway might require. For a start, how often would you see a firebox filled level with the doors on a heritage railway? The volume of steam production necessary required that depth of fire. The other thing that surprised me was how much a loco moves around on it's springs at speed (My previous experience being a large lump of very solid metal creeping around a yard at low speeds with seemingly no flexing).
    One of my few regrets is that I didn't appreciate it enough at the time (Being in my early 20's I just assumed that this was the way things were and took for granted that it would continue. This despite seeing the last mainline trips of the (wooden bodied) GWR coaches.

RAB3L, MikeParkin65 and Bluenosejohn like this.