If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

£500,000 Winter Works at Arley, SVR

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by D1039, Nov 29, 2010.

1. D1039

D1039 Guest

http://www.svr.co.uk/

"The Severn Valley Railway Board has agreed to progress major works at Arley and Sandbourne Viaduct, from January to March 2011. Works at Arley involve removal of very wet sub-formation, then installation of new drainage, rebuilding platform walls, and replacing track, in addition to relaying between Arley and Victoria Bridge, where the existing rail is now fully worn. Work at Sandbourne Viaduct will involve removal of track and in-fill, then waterproofing the arches, and installation of new drainage. Some half-million pounds is being invested in these essential works, which will allow the railway to re-open in good time for Easter. We would, of course, greatly welcome any help towards this sum. There will thus be no trains after Monday 3 January until Saturday 12 February, when services will run between Bridgnorth and Highley. The whole line will re-open from Saturday 26 March".

Patrick

2. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Is Sandbourne Viaduct the one that is to the south of Bewdley?

Regards

3. D1039

D1039 Guest

Yes, it's just on the Kidderminster side of Bewdley, just before the Bewdley by-pass (I had to ask recently!)

Patrick

4. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

D1039: Is the Bridgnorth by-pass bridge being overhauled during this closure, or is that something for the future?

Just shows by the way, that even "modern" structures eventually need some tlc, not just the "Victorian" bits....

5. D1039

D1039 Guest

I recall (I'm not part of the management or running of the railway) that the work has again been deferred.

Passenger numbers have been down this year (Railway Mag reported forecasts around 226-229,000 against 248,000 last year) and money is tight. The railway is this winter also rerailing Eardington bank and I suspect its the combination of cashflow and the amount of other work being undertaken.

There was some talk of repairing Bewdley platform awning while the line is shut but I don't know if that is planned.

It's worth mentioning that the railway spent £400k in 2009 (Bridgnorth MPD, Highley footbridge et al) and this year had the expense of Hampton Loade (sorting out track twist and new points) and the wheeldrop.

Going forward the railway is planning half a mile of new rail each year, new rail being a very expensive item (six figures I believe)

I'm sure the railway would welcome contributions, memberships and shareholders.

Cheers

Patrick

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Thanks Patrick. When I was last stood on Arley platform a few weeks ago I caught part of a conversation between some of the staff, and the "wet" formation at Arley is quite serious, there being a suspicion that water is getting under the platform from the hillside above, so needs doing both from the point of view of the track formation, and the station platforms.

Those heritage lines that run across pleasant flatlands with no "geology" and major Victorian structures to worry about, dont know how lucky they are !!

7. D1039

D1039 Guest

A quote on the SVRA site says:

"The Bewdley platform awning is in the plan but not probably 2011. Because of the scaffolding requirement platform 2&3 would have be taken out of use and therefore the work is best done during one closure whilst viaduct works are done"

Patrick