Umm, whatever the technical merits, a solution that requires the operator to keep a coal storage and distribution infrastructure alongside the new...
Except that it was a blind alley. Whether it was bad luck or bad judgement, the GWR copped a number of these:- Atmospheric haulage, Broad Gauge,...
This may be of interest. GWR document: Oil Fired Locomotives - Handbook for Enginemen.
By the end of their lives the Dean Goods had received many upgrades, and IIRC I've seen a drawing suggesting the draughting was last changed in...
As I said in another thread I for one wouldn't travel behind oil fired steam because of the smell of it. A coal fired locomotive with diesel...
And I for one loathe the smell of oil fired and wouldn't travel behind it. As bad as being behind a diesel.
Yes, like all pretty much all engineering its about tradeoffs. We enthusiasts are very prone to talk about success and failure, but most likely...
Well, the last of the Rhymney locomotives the 56s were inspired by was withdrawn from service in 1957, so there must be few people left who would...
Well, strictly its both isn't it. Its a mechanisam that pumps air in order to create a vacuum. But to call it an air pump outside the strictly...
I have a vague memory that the Patriot project had to do a major strip down and reassembly of their frames, but don't think it was actual replacement.
A happy feature of the proposal is that neither would be eligible for LNWR BR Lined black. Tom, there probably ought to be a standard 2 boiler...
All sorts of things will work to a greater or lesser extent. Cost effectiive might be another matter. I suspect though, if you managed to train...
Most definitely? Locomotive preparation on the GWR was a piecework task, with just two rates, for large and small locomotives so there was no...
Separate names with a comma.