If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Autumn Steam Gala, Thu 6 to Sun 9 October 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Mar 18, 2016.

1. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Thanks very much, as I say it was only a still frame captured from the video. It was a very lucky break as the clouds which had started to gather broke to allow the sun through as she appeared, which as we all know, doesn't often happen that way!

2. PamW

PamW New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  3. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

A video filmed over the four days of the gala. Many thanks to all involved at the WSR for a great event

Paul Kibbey and Mick45305 like this.
  4. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

How long does a heavy over haul take these days?

5. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Or how long is a piece of string.

A lot will depend how good condition everything is, and if any major parts need repairing/replacing, workshop room/man power, and if there is enough money in the kitty. 5542 has had its 10 year overhaul done in 6 months, so they can be done quick if needed and no nastiest found.

6. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

A lot of nice photos there.

7. DragonHandler

A lot of impressive photos there.

8. DragonHandler

9. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Compare with 6024 - it has been ongoing for 4 years so far, but it is being done by its own volunteers in their spare time.

10. Otaioengineer

Otaioengineer New Member

Retired
    There are many factors that can have an influence on the time taken to carry out an overhaul.

I understand that Tyseley Locomotive Works and 4936's owner are aiming to complete the overhaul by the summer of 2018. Much of the work needed has been identified but until the boiler is lifted and examined closely the full extent of work needed on it will not be known. I imagine that there will also be mechanical work to be carried out which could also affect the progress of the work.

Let's hope that nothing unexpected is found that will delay the hoped for completion date.

11. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

It was a generally pleasant weekend,
    Two minor bits of constructive criticism 1, Can accept non turning of locos,if this addressed as early as possible, so that we are aware,of what ways, locos should face, subject to operational reasons,
    Bought the booklet and the timetable was pretty confusing, bit too much information on there, not sure that loco off shed times are needed,
    2, on the Saturday , is there a reason why 1450 was allowed to run late in front of the first mainline train, 4936, making everything else late for the rest of the day ?

apart from that was a good effort, with the cards dealt out,

12. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

deleted

13. 34098

14. DragonHandler

While I think the GWR Taunton shuttle was a good idea, especially for those coming by train, I'm not entirely convinced that it was worth sacrificing the railways USP for.
    I didn't find the timetable in the booklet all that confusing, although it wasn't as clear as previous galas and don't really see why the off shed times were included I think they added an element of confusion with the departure times. I think it should have included a note that the Norton triangle wouldn't be in use on the days when the Taunton shuttle was operating.
    I suspect that 1450 was allowed out in front of 4936 was so that the pattern of the timetable was kept, some people plan their day in advance as to which train they catch and when so if one runs out of sequence or is cancelled it messes up their whole day.

Overall though I found it a very enjoyable weekend.

15. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    I am aware of the reason why the first autobtrain trip ran late on that morning. As that is a staff/operational matter you would not expect the reason to be discussed on a public website. Suffice to say that it should not have happened and should not happen again.

Once it HAD happened, the control staff were in something of a cleft stick. Cancel a highly loaded and much anticipated auto trip or suffer the consequences for the overall service? Experience has been that the Gala timetable is a robust one and significant recovery of lost time was expected. For a. Ariety of other reasons that did not occur.

The point about triangle turning / the shuttle is well made and will no doubt be considered for future events. The nature of single lines is that they can only be used for one thing at once.

Thank you for your other kind comments. We WSR Operators do look forward to our Galas.

Robin White

16. DragonHandler

I, and I'm sure others, look forward to your Galas too. You WSR Operators always deliver an excellent and highly enjoyable weekend, I've already got the 2017 dates in my diary and will be booking the leave when the leave list opens on Jan 2nd!

1472 and longdogs like this.
  17. 34098

Playing devils advocate here
    , Would a goods train have been allowed to run as late, as the auto did in front of a passenger train,
    I've a feeling the goods would have been canned,
    I'm willing to stand corrected on that, but it seemed that day if it was in the timetable it ran, didn't matter how much the timetable slipped,

Other then that I agree with you , there's just a few minor tweaks that could be made to have an all round solid event,
    maybe running a few shuttles in the morning then in the evening to get people in and out, so the triangle could be used etc and maybe a bit more clearer information more than a few days before on what is meant to be turning and running tender first
    but it seems like the cracks from previous galas are slowly being repaired which if this continues is a good thing,

18. I understand the suggestion about future Taunton shuttles in your second paragraph has already been discussed by the Special Events Team.

Steve

34098 likes this.
  19. 34098

Well that's good to hear, that comments about the event are making that level of discussion and consideration, Don't want to jinx anything but sounds like changes for the better are afoot,