If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR 2011 Spring Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The_Mighty_Kings, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Hear, hear to that. We had a 'Southern Poster' moment one of the days.

2. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Another great show at WSR, first part now up.
    [video=youtube;UEoKSc5EqX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEoKSc5EqX4&hd=1[/video]

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    They are too! A really handsome design; the combination of the Maunsell chimney, the graceful curve of the fall plate, the slightly larger than normal bogie wheels, those drivers and the Midland derived cab all make a very nice locomotive. It's a shame that more weren't preserved and there are no H15s at all.

Regards

4. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I echo Orions post,sometimes there are people behind you or things in the way.I do pan on a few shots but I am not proficient at it yet and there is plenty of scope to muck the shot up so I choose my "pan" carefully!!
    As an example my shot of Britannia at Roebuck Bridge( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UqQhLIJKw 6 mins in) there were 6 people surrounding me as I was first there they set up around me.I did not pan as I just thought it was a nice shot as it was.
    Some great video posted lads, looks like we all had a great time!!!!

5. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Second Part of our weekends footage now up.
    [video=youtube;WSVGb-YaD-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSVGb-YaD-c&hd=1[/video]

6. SteamGalore

SteamGalore New Member

Retired Civil Engineer
    Another great WSR Gala.The weather was good for a change and the Gala ran like clockwork.I spent four days lineside and as always had an enjoyable time.Well done to everyone involved. I have posted my pictures at www.steamgalore.zenfolio.com.I hope you enjoy.

7. SteamGalore

SteamGalore New Member

Retired Civil Engineer
  8. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  9. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    And not only that, N15s are long locomotives for what is 'only' a 4-6-0 design; watching them water 30777 at Bishops Lydeard allowed one to really appreciate how big the LSWR-type bogie tender really is. There's probably not much beteen an N15 and a Bulleid in length (this post has been made with reference to including the tender in the total length of the locomotive).

By the way, some good videos there, and I think the hourly departures have really allowed the WSR to tighten-up their times, so that it is now possible (notwithstanding failures) to time you trips accordingly to get a train home for Taunton. The only thing is that I had to make a decision of either going to Minehead and miss out on a few locos, or stay on the section between Williton and Blue Anchor to get all the locos (I chose the latter). However, this problem was due to the engineering work south of Taunton, which meant that the Paddington-Penzance service via Bristol was cancelled, which meant that despite leaving Swansea at 06:30, the first train I could catch would be the 11:00 as opposed to the 10:00 departure.

10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Well, I think the timetable is poor, but then I'm a photographer who wants as many opportunities to take video for my money. The traveller on the other hand wants as many opportunities to change trains to get as much traction in as possible. On the WSR these two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive and the generally slow timetabled speeds tend to mean that the locos aren't worked as hard as they can be.

It's a problem! The volunteers who come into contact with the travellers are pleased with the timetable, and on two occasions during the weekend I had my ear bent in a sociable manner by volunteers expounding on its perceived virtues, and were critical of enthusiasts for not supporting the railway at non-gala time. When I told one volunteer that the Bluebell runs a train every 40 minutes during the summer Sundays he was incredulous. When a then pointed out that the Swanage does a 45 minute service during late July and into August he just stared open mouthed! If you look at the WSR timetable for August it compares really badly. It just isn't worth my while spending time on the railway for a summer holiday.

For me, I want to see as many trains as possible and an hourly service doesn't offer value. I try to increase the value by following trains where possible up or down the line, but that just increases the costs of the weekend.

I have given up my membership of the WSRA and my lineside pass this year because of my perception that the WSR's timetable doesn't offer me value. I still bought a two day senior rover, but I might reduce that to a one day ticket in future. We live in hard times. George Osborne's budget has seriously affected my pension and the cost of petrol isn't just affecting the price of getting to galas but also the cost of food, clothing, everything. Inflation for me, and a good many other pensioners, is a good deal greater than the headline figures.

I think the WSR has to wake up. It's clear that other railways are offering serious competition in its late March/early October slots and its attendence figures may well get worse if it doesn't improve. There won't be another attraction like 'Britannia' for a long time.

Regards

11. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I have to disagree, it all depends on where you go of course, but we spent a couple of hours at Washford and because trains don't cross there was action every 30 mins which isn't bad at all. Without creating more passing loops there is little more the WSR can do to increase capacity & previous galas have run horrendously late which doesn't help passengers with mainline connections at all. A wonderful day was spent down there on the first Saturday with glorious weather. Couple of pics attached (finally!) of 70000 leaving Washford and 88 departing Blue Anchor.

Attached Files:

12. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Noting that you appear to believe a 45 minute interval timetable is good, while a 60 minute interval timetable is poor, I am still at a loss to understand what you actually want the WSR to do ? Move some stations and passing loops maybe ?

David

13. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    I have to agree with some of the comments,just what would be ok for you regarding timetables????

I could only attend on the last Sunday and having a line-side pass for videoing I had a great day, 9 shots between 10.15 and 18.05;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UqQhLIJKw

Thats less than an hour between shot and on a single track line thats not bad. I don't film tender first locos so if you did you could have had lots more shots.I don't think that's a bad days work. I'm very happy with the timetable. I am sure there might be a few areas that could be tightened up a little but I think generally it works very well.

14. I was wondering the same, gwr4090

Orion: It's always going to be difficult comparing like-for-like. I don't think the two examples given (Bluebell and Swanage) have two six mile single line sections which prevent the running of a very frequent service, which is, not required for most of the time.

I'm also confused about why the timetabling of trains influences whether or not you (Orion) join the WSRA. Surely if you want the WSR to improve then support from folks like you, by way of WSRA membership for example, can only help with current projects like the Triangle (which will help get all locos "right way round" at Galas) and future project like re-instating loops at Leigh and Kentsford. I hope you rejoin soon.

By the way, Orion, you mentioned the WSR's summer timetable and I note that if a video camera was set up in the field to the west of Blue Anchor, then trains would pass by at 10.30, 11.28, 12.08, 12.40, 12.42, 1.35, 1.40, 2.19, 3.16, 3.19, 4.20, 4.21, 5.16, 5.18, 6.10 and 6.11. That's 16 trains in roughly 8 hours so that's a train every 30 mins on average. Sounds pretty good to me...

Steve

15. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    I'm pretty stunned by this post to be honest - this poster appears to show little appreciation of pathing or timetabling! Yes, the summer timetable at Swange is mightily impressive, but then they're only operating a 6 mile railway. They don't dither about, but neither do the WSR. The only railway in the uK which springs to mind for an appropriate comparison to the WSR is the NYMR. And a quick glance at their summer timetable shows... hourly departures by and large from each end. I guess our poster won't be going to the NYMR then either!

I visited the WSR on Thursday 24th and had a brilliant day. My aim was for lineside photography and after purchasing a timetable at BL first thing I quickly established 3 shots to go for. To get a shot of 6024 was at the expense of photting 30777, but that was a compromise I was prepared to make. You make your own opportunities on a line like the WSR and you can't criticise the railway for not running the right trains where you want them, when you want them.

Everything ended up arse first on Thursday afternoon except 4160, but having already bagged this loco on a previous visit I decided to put the camera away and head to Minehead for a round trip. I was pleasantly surprised to see the railway offered a round trip ticket (£18) as an alternative to the full day rover. This suited me perfectly and I caught 5553 MD - BL and then 6024 on the return. 5553 ascending Washford bank was awesome!

A shame about the loss of 7812 (I passed the loco in the morning on a lowloader when I was driving out of Taunton!) but a brilliant event by the WSR and a pleasent change for the spring gala to be blessed with such good weather.

16. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

We had yet another very enjoyable visit arriving Thursday afternoon and travelling on the line Friday + Sunday.
    Full marks to all involved for a great Gala on a beautiful line with a good variety of Loco's.
    Also nice to catch up with Alan & Mark Walker during their hectic schedule.

Having only been home 1 day since it finished, here is a belated clip, more + a link to pics should follow {eventually}.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3SIFT3c7Hk

17. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  18. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

wsr.org.uk reports 8000 visitors over the 6 days.

19. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Anyone know how that compares with previous efforts? The figures have been mentioned before, but I must admit I've forgotten them...

20. "Over 7800 visitors enjoyed the 2010 Spring Steam Gala"
    "A grand total of 10,636 passengers over the six days [2009]"
    "Around 6,300 visitors enjoyed an excellent array of steam power at the six day [2008] Spring Steam Gala, quite a bit down on [the 2007] figure of over 10,000."

(from archives of www.wsr.org.uk)

Steve