If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Where Now for Main Line Steam?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by johnofwessex, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the clarification. Interesting. Will TPWS also close the regulator, or is that up to the driver?

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The driver must close the regulator.

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It wouldn't be massively difficult to fit automatic steam shut off valves to most locos. Air operated ball valve(s) could be utilised operated from the loco air system (or even vacuum with a large enough actuator). Think LMS/BR push pull sets. Of course the valves would probably need to be external due to the inhospitable conditions in the smokebox/boiler, which might make anything with an inside cylinder more of a challenge. Alternatively use an air cylinder to close the regulator via the handle, though you'd have to be careful that the mechanism didn't injure the crew.

4. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    It should be noted that the GWR's well known full scale test of ATC in the 30s demonstrated that the system was more than capable of stopping the train between distant and home from 69mph if the alarm at the distant wasn't acknowledged and the regulator left open. Seems unlikely that the modern system is any less capable.

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

When I click on Reply no quoted text appears. Something seems to be awry today, also causing pages to load very slowly and sometimes not load at all.

Anyway: Some others have already responded to Tim Light's post #33 but I wish to query one bit, where he said "the fail-safe devices that enable a high-speed train to be stopped automatically can never be applied to a steam locomotive." Where did that idea come from? What is the perceived problem in applying TPWS etc?

6. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    I suppose that you are conversant with all the rubbish at Burton on Trent? Whether any of it is any use I could not say.

7. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    The scenario you paint is a little off the mark. an incident such as that would be down to errors by people, nothing to do with the means of propulsion of the traction unit. Of course, hard questions might be asked about part-time retired drivers.:(

8. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I for one am not conversant with any "rubbish" Pullman stock at Burton on Trent - perhaps you could expound on this? There are a few derelict 1960s Pullmans at Carnforth but afaik all others are in use.

9. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

I just wondered if an all pulman/ first class all dining rake would make sence, have two types of steam / deisel hauled tour, the longer distance dining experience, sold on the dining element, and shorter back and out with no or limited catering running shorter routes several times a day for those who just want a steam experience, if you have a destination with turning at either end , say something that can be marketed for locals as well as the tour, especially if the tour outwards is the way to get the tour to a starting place for the shorter tours