If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welshpool and Llanfair Vintage Trains

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Tim Light, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Back in August we had a family holiday in mid-Wales and took the opportunity to ride on the Welshpool and Llanfair vintage train. What a wonderful experience. I have been visiting heritage railways since 1965 and I think this was my most authentic and absorbing heritage experience so far.

The train itself was superb, with the three replica carriages, goods vehicles and brake van behind one of the original locos. The operation was also fascinating. At the top of Golfa Bank the train was stopped to pin down brakes on the goods wagons - I've never seen that before. And at each end of the line the train had to be shunted so that the fitted carriages were next to the loco, with the unfitted wagons behind and the brake van at the back. This all added to the interest and photo opportunities.

All this on top of some lovely scenery.

Well done W&LLR. I would encourage all enthusiasts to sample this train.

michaelh and HY_4273 like this.
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I visited this year too and loved it.

HY_4273 likes this.
  3. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Come to Foxfield for one of our Galas, we operate unfitted coal trains on a 1 in 25 purely with pinned wagon brakes, the loco and a brake van. You can witness the brakes being pinned at the summit prior to a train descending Foxfield Bank.

HY_4273 likes this.
  4. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

I will. I visited for a gala many years ago, but I believe things have moved on since then, especially in the colliery area.

5. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Indeed, next year will finally see passenger trains return to Foxfield Bank for the 50th anniversary of the society being formed.

HY_4273 likes this.
  6. Paul Kibbey

Paul Kibbey Well-Known Member

Retired
    Back in the days of black and white nearly all of the freight on British Railways ran with unfitted stock , ie the only brakes were on the loco and the brake van , obviously at a reduced speed . It wasn't until the advent of time sensitive goods like milk , fish , fruit and veg that goods wagons were fitted , ie with brakes .