If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The merits or otherwise of BR Mk I coaches, ex-Bluebell Motive Power

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by david1984, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member

Van driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I would agree with that. The varnished wood and sprung seats of the early Mark 1s are hugely different from modern trains and they do have a great period atmosphere, especially when its going dark, on a Santa train in December. My son, who was about 4 or 5 at the time loved his trip on the Churnet Valley in a Mark 1.

The compartment stock even more so, and I fondly recollect a journey home to Manchester Piccadilly from Euston one evening in the summer of 83 in a Mark 1 rake, hauled by either an 86 or 87. I think they have played a huge part in British Railway history and are worthy of preservation, both as working coaches and heritage vehicles,. Liveries? BR Maroon and crimson/cream are my two favourites, with WR Chocolate/cream and Southern green following closely behind. Blue/grey can look Ok if kept clean, but I didn't like the Inter City livery on them, nor do I like the fake Pullman scheme which several have been done in. A Mark 2, to me, only really looks right in blue/grey.

Springs Branch likes this.
  2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Oh yes they would! The Bluebell's 1947 Bulleid stock composite has not run for years but I remember it fondly. The coir mats in the corridor to wipe your feet on, the satinwood panelling and, in first class, the utterly sumptuous seating. So comfortable it was very difficult to stay awake. I have already complimented the same railway's Maunsell droplight 3rd.

Both knock a Mk.1 completely sideways.

PH

David R and 2392 like this.
  3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I believe that they are principally teak so inevitably some compromises will have to be made.

I wouldn't dismiss it as an option without carrying out a costing exercise. When the LNERCA first started restoring Gresleys we were told that teak was too expensive, couldn't be obtained in suitable sizes or if it could would split as soon as it was fitted. I (on behalf of the LNERCA) have now supplied other restorers with in excess of 50 coach-sets of teak panels and other sections, so they must have been affordable, and very few have failed in service. It is true that large panels are very hard to find now, but joinery-sized material is not a problem at all. PM me if interested.

gwalkeriow likes this.
  4. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member

Van driver
    Talking about ex SR stock, I remember my last visit to the Bluebell, about 20 odd years ago. I travelled in a side corridor coach, which wasnt a Bulleid, so I assume must have been a Maunsell coach and it was very comfortable and nice to ride in.

5. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

Indeed it is. I constructed a corridor screen from solid teak last year for a project.

Sawdust.

6. David R

David R Well-Known Member

And hopefully next year you will be able to ride in it again - 5768 is nearing the end of a very comprehensive overhaul in the shed at Horsted.

I agree that it knocks a Mk1 completely sideways :)

David R

paullad1984, 2392 and paulhitch like this.
  7. Peter Wilde

Peter Wilde New Member

I tend to agree. Used to rather despise Mk 1s, and still on the whole prefer well restored pre-BR vehicles (as seen on the Bluebell, IOWSR and other places). But Mk 1s are steadily becoming more "heritage" and less like modern trains as the years pass by; they can be comfortable; they are actually quite varied in internal layouts and finishes; and the well restored and more unusual examples can have lots of character.

There is also the point that for an authentic pairing with say a BR Standard loco, a Mk 1 may be more appropriate than a pre-nationalisation coach (at least if the latter is in a pre-BR livery).

So we are lucky to have such variety, and it's good to visit railways that offer both Mk 1s and older stock.

Cartman, weltrol and gwalkeriow like this.
  8. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Its all to do with the standard of restoration, for instance, rubbing back partitions to remove the 40 year old scribings ,and not just varnishing over them, its doing the job to a high standard, and that should be the case, no matter what age the vehicle is.