If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Devon Railway

Discussion in 'Photographic Guides' started by PhotoMatt, Feb 22, 2007.

1. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Has anyone got the local knowledge to do a guide for the SDR?

Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Matt

from experience , exhaust on service train days is at a premium

Martin

3. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    Hi Martin,

Ah, a bit like that is it.

Is a shame, the Easter Gala is the same weekend as the 2 GWR locos are coming out of Penzance.

4. devonsteam

devonsteam Member

Refrigeration Engineer
    Pants, forgot about that!

You could always walk the short way to the Mainline station at Totnes, or you could watch them come past from the platfrom at the Totnes end of the SDR.....

5. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

6. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    Did a fair bit of travelling, walking and fotting around this line last summer. I found the following locations to be best;

There's a path leads off down the side of the river from next to the level crossing by Staverton station. Walk down that path for about 5 minutes from the station, down past the old mill, then by the river for a bit and you reach a foot crossing with this view.

[​IMG]

Not a bad spot- location;

[​IMG]

Best way to get there is arrive by train at Staverton, as there's little parking nearby, and walk- hence giving the railway some custom as well. Its possible to fot trains in both directions here

Within 15 minutes walk is the field near Nursery pool bridge, where trains can be caught in both directions, coming off the bridge and pulling away from Buckfastleigh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a path through the field- not signposted, but the gate wasn't locked and i asked several locals if it was OK to go there and they said it was fine and thanks for asking, many go there anyway! The bridge itself is surrounded by trees and hard to fot, but the embankment beyond can make good photos.

Location;

[​IMG]

Parking is limited but only 5-10 mins at the most from the village (parking there) and 15-20 mins from the station, as you have to go into Buckfastleigh and cross the river from there, where there is ample parking. There is some parking on a residential street near the road/rail overbridge.

Totnes (Littlehempston) station isn't bad a foot crossing over the line to the rare breed sanctuary gives a good view of departing and arriving trains

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parking at Totnes mainline station- 5 mins walk.

Hope these help.

7. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    Thanks guys some great info there. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

8. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

What about parking at riverford bridge where you can walk along beside the river and get photos of trains from otherside of river! Also around dartington you can get photos from otherside of river! Have never done these myself as normaly on the engine rather than off!

9. lostprairie

lostprairie New Member

Matt - the suggestions above cover most of the best locations. Parking is usually at a premium on Gala days but for shots at or araound Nursery Pool Bridge you can usually park in the lay by on the A384 at Caddaford (Google Earth 50:28:3296N 03:45:2893W) and walk up the line from there (lineside pass required obviously!) also for the view across the Dart at Riverford Bridge there is a layby again on the A384 at 50:27:4102N 03:43:5598W and you can walk across the bridge and take the towpath north on the opposite side of the river. Staverton Station has a small car park which I used last year for a donation to the railway at the station. The station itself is picturesque and as others have mentioned there are shots available from the footpath which runs between the railway and the river southwards. Also at Staverton, if you drive up into the village and park by the church (50:27:4506N 03:42:0115W) you can walk down the lane to the level crossing at Nappers Halt. Finally at Staverton, if you walk North up the up the line past the signal box there are shots to be had from the field to west of the line or from the yard siding to the east.

10. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

Hi

I may be in the SDR area this weekend, out of interest how easy is to get the shot from the river bed of a train leaving Buckfastleigh going over the bridge ? What sort of time of day is best for this spot ?

Many thanks

Nathan

11. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

From what I've been told it's not too hard to get that shot, so long as you don't mind getting your feet wet a bit! I have only ever got down there from the line, so am not too sure how you go about it from the road. The shots you get though are worth the effort! If you're there for the 10 45 ex BFL you'll get 5526 facing chimney first in relatively good light, although thats going downhill so won't be so much smoke etc. For a good shot coming up the grade then get there for the 3 30 arrival when the light should be good (be going past the bridge about 3 25 ish). Just out of interest do you have a lineside pass?

Rostered for Saturday are 5526 and D6737, I presume with 5526 on the GWR set and D6737 on the BR set. On Sunday it will be 5526 working passengers, probably with the GWR set, and 5786 on footplate experiences. If you're in the area then come for a train ride as well, and maybe get off at Totnes for lunch and to get some shots, or Staverton. I'll be ticket inspector on Saturday on the GWR set so may see you there.

12. RASDV

RASDV Member

Hi,
    I'm heading down to the SDR next week for the Diamond Jubilee gala and I was wondering if anyone could explain to me where a location called 'Bishops Bridge' is - it is named in the caption of this photo:South Devon Railway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    But I can't find anywhere called that on the OS map - is it another alternative name for Riverford/Hood bridge?
    Thank you in advance for your reply.

13. sjwebb90

sjwebb90 New Member

This Hood Bridge.

14. sjwebb90

sjwebb90 New Member