If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Should lines withhold loco roster information at galas?

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 47406, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Flange bandit!

Flange bandit! New Member

retired
    At Steel Steam and Stars 11 we had a couple of brochures open at the front desk to enable the, er more economic minded people the chance to look at the timetable, engine configurations etc. £3 seemed a ridiculously high price to some who said it was a total scam that the timetable was only printed inside the event brochure. Maybe it might be an idea to do a free gala with free event guides, il do one on my Hornby set with 79 visiting engines.The freeloading linside photographer scum can hide behind my couch maybe or stand in the flower bed, just so they feel at home. What u reckon :smt077

2. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Just to pick up on a minor point Re: UKSteam by ADB.

It is a labour of considerable personal input by an indicidual for which I am very greatful. It is a resourse I use frequently to find local tours to see, and tours with start points and dates which are possible to do... I therefore consider its advertising value is high and am guilt free in my 'use' of the site.

3. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As ever, a matter of balance. Enough info needs to be made available in advance to encourage people to come, but if you give full rosters on the net, the 'freeloaders' (let's avoid words like 'scum') don't pay. There may not be that many 'freeloaders' - I for one do both riding and linesiding. I usually buy a day rover, have some trips in the morning and evening when its less crowded, and go linesiding or station platforming in the afternoon. Happily, I've never been abused for the latter activities.

Kent and East Sussex gala at beginning of May got it right - excellent brochure giving rosters and also background info and an interesting article on travelling the line in BR days; for only £2.50 very good value. South Devon Rly give all loco info on the net, but trains are still busy.

John

4. 37255

37255 Guest

To put it in to perspective, freeloaders don't cost the railway anything, but simply don't put any money in. Losing fare paying passengers due to not publicising the roster does cost the railway.

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    But selling brochures etc with the loco diagrams EARNS railways money.

Making it all available before the event does not.

Publishing the operating timetable beforehand makes sense, as people will then know what times the trains are. Saying which engines are out which days also makes sense as certain people will only come for certain engines.

Making the full working timetable available for free however, no. If you want this sort of info then you should be prepared to pay a small supplement in my mind. It discourages free loaders (and there are people like this) but also helps fills the tins, and events are costing more and more (SSS2 was well and truly into 6 figures). To continue such events they NEED to be profitable.

37255's argument that the loss of tickets from not making wtt available vs brochure sales may not equal. TBH, I think there is only a very small minority who would refuse to attend an event because a WTT was not published in advance for free. If the loco they want to see is out, they will come and by the brochure/whatever to get the info of which train they need to get. We are only taking of an extra £2/3.

6. 37255

37255 Guest

I think the main point is that the information MUST be available in advance. Furthermore, is there any evidence that charging for WTTs does actually discourage freeloaders? If someone is only interested in photographing, they are likely to be happy knowing that loco x will work on day y, whereas anyone wishing to travel behind it may then be less happy to find it works freights all day, etc.

7. Columbine

Columbine Member

I'm constantly surprised by the 'business model' (to give it a posh name) that virtually all the railways adopt for galas. I accept that most enthusiasts want to travel behind a particular loco but many don't - I don't for example, one BR Mk1 is much the same as another for me and I've been travelling on them since the early 1950s. Those that do - the majority - are the target 'audience' for the railways, this is where the income comes from. The rest that don't want to actually travel on a train are often photographers or videographers who specifically go to galas in order to take pictures.

Now these pictures can be taken from the public or private side of the fence. Where the photo spot is on the private side of the fence the railways can and do charge for access in the form of a lineside pass, but the railways cannot charge for shots taken from the public side of the fence. This potential income is lost.

Now most railways (perhaps all, not sure) don't lay on facilities for the photographers in the form of, say, enclosures, where a separate charge can be made for access to the benefit of the 'bottom line'. If these 'enclosures' were located at photographically attractive locations where photters naturally congregate I'm sure that a charge could be made to the benefit of the railway.

Regards

8. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Good question! The evidence would be lots of WTTs being sold to people who have not bought a ticket (or lineside pass) - I've certainly not noticed that when I've been stood in queues at ticket offices.

9. 37255

37255 Guest

Having "freeloaded" at the odd gala during my time (but always having paid repeat visits to the line, buying rovers), I can honestly say that if I'm stood in a field all day it makes b****r all difference to me which locos pass in which order! Travelling, on the other hand, I intend to travel behind particular locos...

10. MID HANTS MARKETING

MID HANTS MARKETING New Member

Now most railways (perhaps all, not sure) don't lay on facilities for the photographers in the form of, say, enclosures, where a separate charge can be made for access to the benefit of the 'bottom line'. If these 'enclosures' were located at photographically attractive locations where photters naturally congregate I'm sure that a charge could be made to the benefit of the railway.

Regards[/quote]

Great idea. I will be looking into this for future events.

Tim Beere
    Marketing Manager
    The Mid Hants Railway 'Watercress Line'

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member

37255's argument is perfectly sound and stands fast for the majority of people that I know.

12. 37255

37255 Guest

People seem to be struggling to see the point in my argument, it's not the price. It doesn't matter that it's only £2/£3 if you have to drive to the railway to then find that the loco you are after has ****** all rostered turns. The 'guide' could be £0.01, but if it's not available in advance...

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member

Precisely. Or you should have gone on the Saturday rather than the Sunday, or driven to the other end of the line etc etc etc.

14. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Or in the case of SVR/WSR etc booked accomodation at the other end of the line.

15. Working timetables inc loco rosters for the WSR Mixed Traffic Weekend 12-14 June now available on the event page on www.wsr.org.uk and the official website :)

Steve
    (WSW)

16. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

The GCR seems to have a pretty good balance, we generally publicise passenger trains & locos hauling them, plus TPOs, and anything else you get included in the WTT booklet which is included in the price of an all day ticket. Otherwise it's £1.50 or something for the booklet which is more than just a timetable.