If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Project Wareham

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by David R, Jul 31, 2015.

1. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Actually, that is not strictly true as from 1985 to 1987, trains on the S Devon Railway to and from Buckfastleigh ran into Totnes (BR) station, in a very similiar situation to Wareham. I believe that the usual issues of having to have main-line "plated" stock, and BR qualified crews meant the costs were just too great and the railway had to retreat to it's own station at Littlehempston.

2. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm not sure I've seen many photos from the last day of the Swanage - Wareham service 2017.
    The last day was the second time this year that I'd used the service, and the first time I'd done the whole journey by rail.
    (Although with SWR removing the free tickets for Season ticket holder perk, not sure how often I'll do Home - Wareham by train next year :( )

It was a truly damp day to end the season on, but then it was early September in the UK...

The first Up service of the day approaching Wareham behind WRC Class 37 - 37 518
    [​IMG]
    West Cost Railways Class 37 - 37 518
    by Tim White, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    West Cost Railways Class 37 - 37 518
    by Tim White, on Flickr

37 518 at rest in the bay platform at Swanage Station
    [​IMG]
    West Cost Railways Class 37 - 37 518 Swanage Station
    by Tim White, on Flickr

The penultimate Wareham to Swanage departure clags off into the distance behind D6515
    [​IMG]
    Class 33 (Crompton D6515 (33 012)
    by Tim White, on Flickr

With 33015 bringing up the rear.
    [​IMG]
    West Coast Railways Class 33 - 33 015
    by Tim White, on Flickr

A nice bit of Crompton music to sound out the final day.

desperado likes this.
  3. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

The BBC's opening words could have been better chosen. "The first regular passenger train services to run between the mainline and a Dorset seaside resort ...". They mean, of course, to this one particular Dorset seaside resort. There have been through services all along to other Dorset seaside resorts.

Edit: And their map shows a remarkable right-angle bend for the main line at Worgret.

5. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

The map is not the BBCs, it's provided by Swanage Railway.

6. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    What was the actual costs and takings? i'm assuming it washed its face at least, it was a brave experiment, the interesting time will come when its the U class up front, assuming the issue of running round in the sidings has been sorted out and how much more trade it attracts . part of me still thinks that if the steam service was extended to say Bournmouth, or Southampton and ran a limited timetable on say sundays only 4 times over the summer , separate from the Shuttle does the nr access charge differ with distance traveled ? as the other costs are fixed, so come on Swanage, fix that T9, Fit it with the mainline gubbins .:)

7. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

What is the point of an extended service that barely ever runs? The amount you could charge will never recover the set up costs (equipping and approving stock, presumably long term gaining the necessary licences and access contracts for the Swanage to be their own TOC).

At times, this forum can seem to have an obsession that 'only mainline steam is real steam' - the reality is that although the product may superficially look similar, mainline steam and preserved lines have as much in common as the Isle of Wight ferries and cruise liner market - similar tools, but completely different products and even more different markets. When a preserved line 'dips it toe' in the mainline world, exactly the sort of thing that @martin1656 suggests can seem very appealing, but the risks involved for the rewards available leap hugely and those lines that have gone heavily into mainline activities have usually pulled out completely after a few years when they find that mainline railtours can very much become a large tail wagging the original preserved line dog.

Swanage are providing a feed for passengers into the existing line with this service - if it works as diesel, then adding steam may be questionable and would probably be 'top and tail' anyway - will the extra cost of a steam loco be covered by additional business? At the same time, the plan does seem to be a DMU service but will fitting mainline equipment to the U Class then provide adequate return if it is rarely used (same point as 4 Sundays a year). Just as they have tested the market using entirely hired resources, hiring a steam loco already fitted with the kit to test the impact on loadings may be wise, even if perhaps less profitable than waiting until £x thousands have been spent equipping the U.

The core service will be Wareham to Swanage. Add-ons may be possible, but only if additional costs are minimal as occasional add-ons will give limited returns.

Steven

huochemi, 35B, johnofwessex and 2 others like this.
  8. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

At the same time, the plan does seem to be a DMU service but will fitting mainline equipment to the U Class then provide adequate return if it is rarely used (same point as 4 Just as they have tested the market using entirely hired resources, hiring a steam loco already fitted with the kit to test the impact on loadings may be wise, even if perhaps less profitable than waiting until £x thousands have been spent equipping the U

Steven[/QUOTE]

The U has already been fitted with mainline equipment though?

9. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

IMG_4859.JPG IMG_4887.JPG The passenger loadings I viewed showed it was by a long way an inbound market so the first out of Swanage and the last back from Wareham were the lightly loaded trains. Not surprising really for a seaside resort if you think about it.
    I assume the U is getting a full mainline certificate (I understand, maybe incorrectly,some of the Moors loco may only have approval to go to Whitby or Battersby) as it is down for the GB next year.
    So trips even 4 times a year would have effectively two dead legs, one each way to Southampton or somewhere east of Bournemouth equipped with an unelectrified siding to uncouple and couple to loco which from memory is Toton which is effectively Southampton, or you top and tail with D6515 and increase costs. Remembering of course that tender first running is only 45 MPH and you would have to hire in WCRC or DBC steam and diesel crews and guards to allow the running on the National Network.
    Not sure that would be an economic proposition, or the costs of a ticket would be so high, no one would purchase them.

Here are a couple of pictures form the final weekend. The Saturday being a lovely late summer day, the Sunday not as shown in earlier pictures.
    37518 on arrival at Wareham of the 10:26 from Swanage and the two 33's at Dickers Crossing on the climb from Herston Halt to Harmans Cross with the 14:26 from Swanage.

10. martin1656

My understanding is the the U is getting the full mainline equipment, so no matter how often, or not its used its a fixed cost, i would envisage the main Shuttle will be DMU , My point though is this, to run anything to Wareham will need certified stock, that will need FTR my point is this, do you attract additional custom from enlarging your potential market, on a strictly limited basis to test the market or do you have an engine fitted with the electronics but dont make use of the opertunities it may give you ?

11. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

The plan is for four Mk1s to be certified for mainline use. I believe the grant funding that paid for the U's mainline equipment also covers the cost of this.

The idea is that local rail tours can be run using the U. I'm sure other tour operators will want to hire the U too. So its mainline equipment will be put to good use. Although as said Wareham services will remain mainly DMU.

12. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Deleted

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  13. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I heard a figure of £3100 per day mentioned as the cost of hiring the 4TC and paying WCRC to run the service. So £186k over 60 days.

13k passengers at £15 a time is £195k ish.
    Slightly lower in reality with child fares and residents discounts.

So it probably just about broke even. Costs should be lower next year with the Swanage railway using its own trains and crews.

We know - as per my post above. That's what reignited this thread.;)

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

(For running beyond Wareham)
    Are both of those correct? They can use their own crews to Wareham but would need WCRC or DBC crews to go further?

15. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Thanks for posting these pictures. I've spotted myself in the top picture at Wareham! Brings back memories of a really enjoyable day.

I think you'll find the first unelectrified siding beyond Bournemouth is more likely to be Totton than Toton, which is nearer to Nottingham than Southampton. I'd envisage the DMU doing most of the Wareham runs next year but the U and the Crompton topping and tailing on special occasions. After all, as mentioned above. the money for upgrading the Mk 1s and fitting the main line equipment to the U class was part of a grant specifically connected with the Wareham services.

16. 30854

Retired
    Apologies ..... didn't look beyond 'google' on the link!

17. martin1656

That was in part my point the railway will have the loco and the stock availible, Swanage makes a good destination / start point, and unlike most Mainline steam, will be suitable for any smaller mainline registered engines so say the Standard 4 mogol or even if another 80000 tank makes it back to the mainline. and likily destinations, would be Southampton / Eastleigh if you need to turn, There is also the option of longer trips to Salisbury.

18. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
  19. 30854

Retired
    Thinks ..... "can of worms"! :D

paulhitch likes this.
  20. martin1656

Oh i know what i would like to see at the head of 4 Green Mk 1s, and no its not the crompton, ;) a certain 4-4-0, that happens to fit on Swanages turntable especially if it does get overhauled and gets the mainline gubbins transfered from the U class when the boiler ticket expires on that .

30854 likes this.