If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

PKP selling steam locomotive from the musuem !

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

An interesting development..

PKP has offered for sale TY51-133 (2-10-0) via an internet auction website

Allegro's website is a Polish equivalent of ebay, the reserve price has been set at 70 000,00 zł [SIZE=-1]( € 17,038.28, $ 24,404.73, £15,318.34 )[/SIZE] .

http://aukcje.wosp.org.pl/show_item.php?item=327981

Unlike the previous offering of a BR52 (ty2-1226) for sale, at the same price, which was in extremely poor condition dumped outside at a dmu depot, and really a even worse than a barry wreck for the same price in Jan 2009, which PKP has just listed as a monument.. this time ty51-133 is mechanically complete and was restored for preservation at the Chabowka musuem in 1995 it was withdrawal from service only recently in 1993.

It seems PKP is starting a policy aimed at selling off preserved steam locomotives from it's musuems to private companies / organisations that wish to have a locomotive plinthed outside their corporate offices etc.

Not exactly sure where this will lead, but considering there are around 12 ty51's in the country, (including at least 1 locally at Krakow not on public display), it's a bit worrying theyve started by stripping assets from the musuem first !

here's a picture of the locomotive in question..

http://www.holdys.pl/tomi/index.php?desc=on&par=ty51-133

and a page in english on the type in question.

http://www.locomotives.com.pl/Freight%20Steam%20Locomotives/Ty51.htm

The auction ends 22nd January.

(At 130 tons.. it's got a scrap value way higher than the auction reserve..)

and finally.. transportation is included in the auction price.. anywhere in PKP's network.

2. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Wow. How much work would it take to get it steaming again if it's mechanically complete? And how much typically would it cost to ship to the UK for example?

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

In Poland i'd imagine EUR 100k would get a locomotive working again, the parts are there, as are the skills and most of it is steel and labour is cheap. (Undoubtably the restoration quality isnt the same as in the UK.. it'd be restored for service not a musuem piece), but would work non the less with a full ticket.

The costs maybe less in this locomotives case as it steamed post 1989, which changes PKP's terms and conditions somewhat.

I'm not certain on this, but I heard the tkt tank that was restored for the Wroclaw service was restored at a cost of £30k, but it would fall inline with some research I was doing myself a few years ago.

As for shipping i'm not sure, probably best would be the route 5521 took.. tow/run it to Gdansk and sail it to Hull.