If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Build

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by maninthecorner, Feb 8, 2016.

1. maninthecorner

maninthecorner New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are projects to fill the gaps in missing Steam Locomotives and now plans to new build missing Diesel classes. But are there any new build Coaching stock on the cards? Narrow gauge seems to be setting the pace with some excellent work one by the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway amoungst others. Also in a ideal world where funding was not a concern what major holes are there in the nations collection of preserved rolling stock?

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I can think of one half-way example, the Gresley BTK under construction on the SVR, which has required half the body to be replaced.

3. maninthecorner

I believe the Ryde Tram being restored by the IoWSR will have a new body and theres talk about building a new trailor car.

4. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Consideration for new build coaching stock may be needed anyway.
    With access regulations tightening up will it be possible to make the existing stock compliant?

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

6. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

nick813 and Jamessquared like this.
  7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

One of them is ours; one of them is on the Isle of Wight. But point taken and applies equally to them!

Tom

nick813 and gwalkeriow like this.
  8. Extension3363

Extension3363 New Member

One of them is ours; one of them is on the Isle of Wight. But point taken and applies equally to them!

At some time in the future we will be able to offer wheelchair access in saloon of SER 172 which has doors wide enough for the average non-motorised wheelchair. It also has a first class compartment and a third class coupe.

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=6288
    or on my flickr site
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/extension3363/albums/72157647694725785

Dave (extension 3363)

9. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    There is no requirement to make existing heritage rolling stock "accessible", but new-builds would be covered by the same regulations as new commercial stock.

10. maninthecorner

Could there not be a dispensation if it was a replica. New build locomotives do not need to have all hot surfaces painted yellow. Plus many coach bodies are not on the origional chassis so that could be classed as part new build.

11. Phill S

Phill S New Member

I'd have though grandfather rights would apply. It is well known in tram circles that Crich has a bequest to build a replica Manchester tram. Whilst this might be used to build a decent disabled access tram, I don't think there's any requirement for it to be so. I could be wrong though.
    We've done a few trams that were pretty much replicas too-LUT 159 is a good example, look up the before and after pics, then think that a lot of the wood below window height was knackered!

My only objection to replicas is that there are many, many interesting coaches rotting away. I'd much rather see those rebuilt, even if they were 95% new. There's the end third of a MR 12 wheel restaurant car not far from me that might have a few roof bits still useable...:D

StoneRoad likes this.
  12. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Sometimes I wonder if talk of "grandfather's rights" is not a bit of wishful thinking. There is no way, for example, that a replica of a vehicle using Smith or Hardy non-automatic vacuum brakes would be allowed in passenger service. It all depends on the individual piece of legislation concerned.

Certain narrow gauge replica passenger vehicles have been built with derogations regarding disabled access.

Paul H

andrewshimmin likes this.
  13. Phill S

Phill S New Member

Brakes etc would come under safety, so they would have to be some form of automatic system. The laws that require that were applied to existing stock too, so not really any room for excuse.
    Whilst disabled access is important, the laws aren't retrospective and lack of it is unlikely to cause a serious accident. Although if it can be done easily, it's certainly a good thing to do.

paulhitch likes this.
  14. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Don't forget too that on the Big Railway, there is a need for access to be efficient. It doesn't matter too much if you delay a heritage train due for a couple of minutes due to wheelchair access issues, it does on the Big railway. And on heritage lines there are usually sufficient staff to get around problems whereas the Big Railway tries not to employ people it doesn't need. Both of these add complciations for the big railway that aren't necessary for heritage operations.